Mac Mini->Emotiva XDA2->Woo WA6SE Audio Mess
May 3, 2014 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ryanhart72

New Head-Fier
I could sure use some help with my current setup. I have a Mac Mini to Emotiva XDA2 to WA6SE to LCD2 setup over USB that is giving me a fit. I am using Bitperfect to bypass the Mini's internal DAC. The symptoms I have are no audio which requires a reboot of the Mac Mini and the XDA2 to restore. Next is a switch from 44.1 to 96Khz tracks (or vice versa) that produce no audio and requires a reboot of both devices. Third symptom is a shrill screeching sound that is intermittent and stops after pausing and resuming a track. Fourth symptom is what I can best describe as the track being played in fast forward, high pitched audio that sounds like cartoon characters are the lead. Lastly, Audio Midi in OSX reports the DAC as a 48Khz device even though it handles 192Khz over USB. Given all these issues, I can't get through a half hour session without something interrupting my desire to relax and listen to some great audio.

Diagnosing the issue, I don't believe the WA6SE to the the culprit. Bypassing the DAC via RCA from other sources, its works perfectly. Which led me to the DAC. Talked with Emotiva support at length twice and they are insistent that the DAC is not malfunctioning. They believe the Mac Mini is the problem. Tonight, I connected the Mini to the DAC via Toslink and so far everything works as expected. But, I lose 192Khz audio with this method and it takes up the optical port I was using for my PS3. Anyone experience similar issues with USB audio from a Mac Mini? I am running OSX Mavericks, Fall 2013 Mac Mini and appreciate any insight you have.

Thanks,
Ryan

May 4, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 4
It may help some folks in the forum that my Mac mini was the issue. Spent some time with apple support troubleshooting the issue. They ultimately had me delete two files that contain audio settings in osx, reset the smc and the pram and everything is working as it should.

Ryan

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #3 of 4
I know this is an old thread, but I am having similar issues with my 2010 MacBook Pro to the XDA-2. I am hoping upgrading the OS from Mavericks to El Capitan will resolve the issue.

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 4
In the end, the issues I had came back. Made several phone calls to Emotive and they would call it an Apple or cable issue and Apple would point to the DAC. I tried several USB cables to no avail. I believe it is an issue with the USB portion of the XDA2. I moved away from USB and connected via Optical and never had another issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back