Mac mini based home rig suggestions
Mar 4, 2011 at 10:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

oopsydaisy

100+ Head-Fier
I wasn't sure where to start this thread, but since the only thing I'm 100% certain of in this setup is my mini, someone suggested starting here. I am pretty much set with my portable rig, so I'd like to start gathering info for my Mini based home rig. I've read quite a bit on this site regarding headphones, amps, dacs, and software alternatives to iTunes. Sadly, that's all I'm able to do at this point because it turns out it's pretty hard to find a shop to audition gear in NYC. Go figure.

Anyway, let's start with what I want to achieve and what I have to work with. I want to play ALAC(in the process of re-ripping all my CDs
eek.gif
) files from my mini to a transparent DAC that will feed into a tube amp, which will feed my headphone of choice. How do I know I want tube vs SS when I haven't been able to audition anything? As I said, I've read probably way more than I should have on this site and from what has been described of tube amps paired with the music I prefer, I'm pretty sure it's the way to go for me. Besides, I like the ability to tailor the sound to your liking via tube rolling, although I'd like to keep that aspect as simple as possible(more later). Because of the inherent "color" that will be introduced by the tube amp, I want to keep the signal as transparent as possible when it gets to that stage, hence my DAC preference.

The headphones I am leaning towards, again from my extensive reading, are the LCD-2. They sound like they have all the characteristics I want out of a set of phones for home. Specifically, range and accuracy. I definitely want open cans as a counter to my Ed8s, which are primarily for portable use, but could see use at home when I feel the need for isolation. This should probably be kept in mind regarding my choices of equipment as I'd like it to be versatile enough to support both.

Again, nothing is decided. Like should I go balanced vs single-ended? I just have things in mind, so please suggest away. To help you help me narrow down my choices, here are some details, including the all-important budget. If there is anymore info you need, ask away. I would like to have all of this by end of year, but if I can pull it off by the Summer, that would be a bonus. BTW, I'd love to hear from Skylab as I find him to be very knowledgeable and his posts have taught me quite a bit in the short time I've been pursuing this hobby. This in no way diminishes my opinion of the other great minds on this site
atsmile.gif

•Music will be mostly ALAC ripped from CD. Remainder will be 320 mp3

•Genres range from Rock to Pop, R&B to Bluegrass and almost everything in between, with an emphasis on female vocals(think Alison Krauss)

•Mac mini with USB/Optical will be primary source

•Tube amp is preference for ability to tune sound, but want to be able to do this without scouring the net for numerous exotic models-See Apex Peak as good example of what I'm after

•DAC with crossfeed capability would be a plus, ala Meier Stage

•Headphones should be versatile, open and upgradeable(balanced?)

•Would like to keep budget for all 3 components, cables, etc. to no more than $4000-4500, but anything that could lower the cost would be much aprreciated. This would have to be a sick setup, so wow me. BTW, I prefer black, but looks are not my primary concern.

Mar 4, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 14
fwiw, for my mini, I am using the CIA VDA2 DAC with RAL and VAC1 PSU, into a Woo Audio 3+ which for you could be a local purchase (while the CIA gear is from California). works nicely for my Beyers, but you may want to match the tube amp of your choice carefully to maximize any potential synergy with your Ed8

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #5 of 14
If I were in the same position right now, I would get the Eddie Current Balancing Act as an amp.  That doesn't leave much left over for the DAC, but enough to get a used, but excellent older DAC (e.g., Parasound, Adcom) if willing to look a bit.  Or, I would get a new Emotiva XDA-1, which is a very competent DAC for the price and save for the next big DAC upgrade.

Mar 9, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 14
I was running a Mini as a music server a few years ago. Worked well, but my father's computer died and I gave him the Mini. At the time, I was using a PreSonus Central Station as a DAC. I liked it a lot, but steadily descended into vinyl and SACD, and it ended up getting sold because I wasn't using it.

But with your budget, I'd spend a bit of it on an amp. The Balancing Act is a fine amp, but I've been partial to the Zana Deux. I've had one for over three years now and still love it. Take a look at the owner's thread - I'm not alone here. The circuit is remarkable and it has also held up well being hauled to a number of meets and being dragged back and forth from California to Arizona.

Mar 9, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #7 of 14
I agree that the Zana is a fine way to go (I, personally, want that amp), though I haven't heard it with the LCD-2.  It certainly would leave a lot more $$ for a source.  But I do enjoy spending other people's money.

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #8 of 14
Update time! So, after reading some more(missed the NYC meet
frown.gif
), I decided to pull the trigger on a Yulong D100 DAC. This thing is awesome! and CHEAP! I'm sure there are better, more expensive DACs out there, but since I want to spend most of my money on the amp and headphones, I thought this was a way to get bang for my buck. From what I read prior to purchasing the D100, I was confident that I wouldn't feel like I was missing anything in this price range. I've only had it a day, but the results so far have been quite apparent. I'm not well versed in the jargon, but all I can say to describe the difference in sound is that it feels like I'm in a vaccum, just me and my music. I'm hearing things I've never heard. My next purchase will be the amp. Right now I'm leaning towards the WA6SE, WA22, or the Peak/Volcano. I'm really looking forward to seeing how far the music can go, but right now I'm enjoying my upgrade. If anyone has tried these 3 amps or comparable amps in capability and price, please share your thoughts. Keep in mind that I will most likely be getting LCD-2s down the line. BTW, the Zana Deux looks interesting

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #10 of 14
I have a Mini and a D100 too (connected via optical toslink, my gaming PC will use the USB input). :) I'm going the nearfield monitor route first though (probably Focals) and in future I'll think about a headphone amp. Intend on getting the Synology DS411J NAS as an iTunes server, filling it with four 2-3TB drives and like you, ripping all my CDs to ALAC and then the Syn will offer some data redundancy as well as future expansion.

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
Glad you like your source.  I've heard all of those amps and liked the Zana best.

My LCD-2s should be arriving next Tuesday. Have you heard the Decware Taboo? If so, how does it compare to my choices above as well as the Zana? I'm really hoping to get something for under $2000, so maybe the Zana is out along with the WA22. Tough call

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #12 of 14
BTW, I picked up a pair of Audioengine A5s, so once the LCD-2s arrive, I'll be an amp away from a complete setup, AFAIC
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #14 of 14
My LCD-2s should be arriving next Tuesday. Have you heard the Decware Taboo? If so, how does it compare to my choices above as well as the Zana? I'm really hoping to get something for under $2000, so maybe the Zana is out along with the WA22. Tough call

Sorry, I haven't heard the decware. You could try to pick up a used Beta22 by a reputable builder.

Edit: congrats on the arrival. Please share some impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back