MAC: Audio MIDI Setup for 24-bit 96/192KHz files
Feb 9, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #31 of 38
Ive joined this forum to try and find the answer to a question that i cant find elsewhere. i use an external digital to analogue convertor (dac) with my imac late 2013 27inch. the dac is linked to a dedicated headphone amplifier. i want to be 100% sure that the clock in the dac is the one being used and NOT the macs clock. i use usb out of mac with a usb to spdif (coax) convertor to the dac. here's the problem.

very simply in audio midi set up there are two options for controlling the dac. one reads clock source default and is greyed out. here you can alter the sample rate and bit rate. the other option is to add the dac as an aggregate device. here the clock source now reads out the name of the dac but i think you now only alter the sample rate not the bit rate. i like the fact here that the dac shows up in clock source but i am still not sure which option is correct to ensure it is the dac clock which ultimately gets used and not the clock in the computer. or am i off target here? do both of the above options lead to the dac being in full control. i appreciate your help. after many enquiries i still dont have an answer to this. why would some people use one of the above options and not the other or vice versa.

THIS IS WHAT THE APPLE WEBSITE SAYS:
"Clock source:
Leave the “Clock source” pop-up menu set to Default unless you’re using an audio device that sends its own timing (clock) messages."

The "normal" setting in audio midi setup says clock source default. only when my dac is set as an aggregate device does the name of the dac appear next to clock source. this is what i want. to make sure the dacs clock is being used as it is an expensive dac used for audio hifi through beyer dt880 headphones. so it would be okay to set the dac as an aggregate device but i thought aggregate devices were for multiple devices. i only have one external device device connected to the imac ie my dac. also i am not an audio expert by any means. here is the same query from someonelse on the computer audiophile website:

"I just purchased a NuForce U Dac2 SE that is Asynchronous. You have to forgive me if this is a newbie question, but does the internal clock of the DAC automatically get utilized? The DAC itself is working fine but the screen in the Audio MIDI setup says the clock source is: default. The Help menu for clock source says:
"Leave the “Clock source” pop-up menu set to Default unless you’re using an audio device that sends its own timing (clock) messages."
The thing is I can't seem to find any pop up menu to select clock source, Again it just says "default" which leads me to believe the macs own clock is being used. I can choose the format and set it to 96khz. I include a screen shot if that helps. Any thoughts?"
it goes on: "Just trying to verify if it's own clock is being used when connected to a Mac since the Mac lists the clock as "default" and I don't know whether that means the DACs own clock or the Mac's."

i would be so grateful if the real experts here could dig deep and find the definitive 100% correct answer to this. after nearly a year i have been unable to. the dac i will be using costs in excess of £1300. 

many thanks to all.MK.
musickid

Jun 28, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #32 of 38
Ive joined this forum to try and find the answer to a question that i cant find elsewhere. i use an external digital to analogue convertor (dac) with my imac late 2013 27inch. the dac is linked to a dedicated headphone amplifier. i want to be 100% sure that the clock in the dac is the one being used and NOT the macs clock. i use usb out of mac with a usb to spdif (coax) convertor to the dac. here's the problem.

very simply in audio midi set up there are two options for controlling the dac. one reads clock source default and is greyed out. here you can alter the sample rate and bit rate. the other option is to add the dac as an aggregate device. here the clock source now reads out the name of the dac but i think you now only alter the sample rate not the bit rate. i like the fact here that the dac shows up in clock source but i am still not sure which option is correct to ensure it is the dac clock which ultimately gets used and not the clock in the computer. or am i off target here? do both of the above options lead to the dac being in full control. i appreciate your help. after many enquiries i still dont have an answer to this. why would some people use one of the above options and not the other or vice versa.

THIS IS WHAT THE APPLE WEBSITE SAYS:
"Clock source:
Leave the “Clock source” pop-up menu set to Default unless you’re using an audio device that sends its own timing (clock) messages."

The "normal" setting in audio midi setup says clock source default. only when my dac is set as an aggregate device does the name of the dac appear next to clock source. this is what i want. to make sure the dacs clock is being used as it is an expensive dac used for audio hifi through beyer dt880 headphones. so it would be okay to set the dac as an aggregate device but i thought aggregate devices were for multiple devices. i only have one external device device connected to the imac ie my dac. also i am not an audio expert by any means. here is the same query from someonelse on the computer audiophile website:

"I just purchased a NuForce U Dac2 SE that is Asynchronous. You have to forgive me if this is a newbie question, but does the internal clock of the DAC automatically get utilized? The DAC itself is working fine but the screen in the Audio MIDI setup says the clock source is: default. The Help menu for clock source says:
"Leave the “Clock source” pop-up menu set to Default unless you’re using an audio device that sends its own timing (clock) messages."
The thing is I can't seem to find any pop up menu to select clock source, Again it just says "default" which leads me to believe the macs own clock is being used. I can choose the format and set it to 96khz. I include a screen shot if that helps. Any thoughts?"
it goes on: "Just trying to verify if it's own clock is being used when connected to a Mac since the Mac lists the clock as "default" and I don't know whether that means the DACs own clock or the Mac's."

i would be so grateful if the real experts here could dig deep and find the definitive 100% correct answer to this. after nearly a year i have been unable to. the dac i will be using costs in excess of £1300.

many thanks to all.MK.
musickid

Curious to know whether you have ever found a solution to this, as I am tampering with the similar problem.

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #33 of 38
there is no problem. audio midi set up determines the outgoing sample rate of the music which is sent to the dac. exclusive mode such as in tidal can take control of this if set to on. any usb dac which is asynchrous and connected to the mac automatically takes control of the timing and handling of any incoming audio stream. the name of your dac should be visible in audio midi next to clock source. when default is showing this refers to the clock of the dac inside the mac. that should only be relevant when listening to music via the mac's speaker or headphone output. i've come a long way in 3 years.....:relaxed:

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #34 of 38
there is no problem. audio midi set up determines the outgoing sample rate of the music which is sent to the dac. exclusive mode such as in tidal can take control of this if set to on. any usb dac which is asynchrous and connected to the mac automatically takes control of the timing and handling of any incoming audio stream. the name of your dac should be visible in audio midi next to clock source. when default is showing this refers to the clock of the dac inside the mac. that should only be relevant when listening to music via the mac's speaker or headphone output. i've come a long way in 3 years.

Well, there is a problem on my behalf. I am using the built in DAC of the Quad Pa One headphone amp / DAC, that has max res. of 192 kHz. The Audio Midi app clearly shows that the Quad's internal clock has (supposedly) taken over and used for the sound output.
This via USB out from macbook pro retina mid 2015, Mac OS 10.12 Sierra.
Trying with both Pine Player and Audirvana Plus apps gets me nowhere; max res. that MacBook Pro can output is still the 96 kHz, trying anything above it results in no audio, or weird audio, at best.

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #35 of 38
the mac must be limited to 96khz out as is my late 2013 imac 27inch. but that's normally optical not usb. have you tried using exclusive mode with audirvana or manually setting the audio midi set up to 192khz output. exclusive mode overrides audio midi set up so audirvana would play a 192 file through your mac if that is the sampling rate of the track.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #36 of 38
the mac must be limited to 96khz out as is my late 2013 imac 27inch. but that's normally optical not usb. have you tried using exclusive mode with audirvana or manually setting the audio midi set up to 192khz output.

I have tried the latter, that is manually setting the audio midi set up to 192 kHz output, with result as given in my previous post.
I have tinkered with settings (preferences) in Audirvana, but either have I done something wrong there, or not ever came to the Audirvana exclusive mode, whatever it is.

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #37 of 38
research exclusive mode as it will take over all sample rate values going out of your mac to the quad. apart from that try disconnecting everything and reconnect. apart from that i can't think of anything else. try tidal exclusive mode as this solves all issues.

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #38 of 38
research exclusive mode as it will take over all sample rate values going out of your mac to the quad. apart from that try disconnecting everything and reconnect. apart from that i can't think of anything else. try tidal exclusive mode as this solves all issues.
Tube amp requires warm-up of at least 15 minutes (as stated in its manual) in order to be ready to use with the headphones.
I will keep you posted on the progress. I remember I have tinkered with the exclusive mode in Audirvana+ , did either set it on or off.
I have not used Tidal since some time ago, I might give it a try later on.
I have also read earlier about disconnecting and reconnecting several times, so we'll see.
The source material I got, when I did the testing is stated as DSD 352 kHz 5644 kbit/s dff file.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back