MAC: Audio MIDI Setup for 24-bit 96/192KHz files
Dec 19, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #16 of 38
Update: with audioengine's DAC there is optical in and USB in. USB can handle up to 96 kHz and optical can handle up to 192 kHz. Hence me not being able to play 192 kHz via USB. 

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #17 of 38
Quote:
This is a very interesting thread because I just got AudioEngine's DAC (along with their A5+) and would like to output 192 kHz from my macbook air with Decibel. Audio MIDI Setup only shows 96 kHz maximum sample rate for the DAC output (and the onboard output for that matter).

So, will I not be getting any better output with my DAC since the sample rate and bit depth will be the same? 

And DarkSleip, could you explain your comment about DACs not being able to handle 192 kHz? AudioEngine indicates theirs can handle up to 192 kHz but it doesn't even seem selectable with Audio MIDI Setup.

Also, is there a way to bypass the Audio MIDI Setup to get true 192 kHz output that is affordable? 

(This is USB output.)

Thank you for your time everyone.

Tucker

If you mind looking at this article http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #18 of 38

Preferences

§
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
/
shift

English

Русский

alt

alt

Hi!! Honestly Speaking, iTunes is not my favourite player, but if you use it, BitPerfect is what you're looking for. (you can buy it in the mac app store)

I use Cog for mac, because it is the most neutral reference-class player I have ever heard up to date. Although it doesn't have the feature of automatic sample rate selection(( Also you can try Audirvana Plus, which does have the feature, but IMHO sounds a bit more hi-fi-ish and does not give the soundstage and the air of Cog.

Hope that helps

Preferences

§
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
/
shift

English

Русский

alt

alt

Mar 17, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #19 of 38
I have the Stoner Acoustics UD120 USB DAC and I am able to get 192kHz through USB output, it simply depends if the DAC is connected to USB Hi-Speed Bus (192kHz) or simply USB Bus (96kHz), you can check this with System Information. Normally I get 96kHz but I just unplug it and plug it back a couple of times for 192kHz, and you don't need a top of the line mac to be able to do this cause my mac's pretty old.

Mar 7, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #20 of 38
Resurrecting an old thread.  What do you see as the cheapest bit perfect way to get 24/192 from a Mac that doesn't have 24/192 output capability from the optical port, like the iMac 5K I just picked up?  I can use optical or coaxial.

Is the cheapest thing the HiFace Two?  The Mac can connect via USB, FireWire, HDMI, and Thunderbolt.  I know HDMI can get 24/192, but I don't know what device can make the conversion.  Thanks!

Mar 7, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #22 of 38
Okay, so connecting from USB to what for coax or optical?

Mar 7, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #23 of 38
  Okay, so connecting from USB to what for coax or optical?

Oh, your DAC doesn't have USB in? If no, I'd get a USB to coax or optical converter, or get another DAC. 

Mar 7, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #24 of 38
It does, but it's not a brand new DAC that only does 24/192 to balanced XLRs via coax or optical.  I'm just trying to find the best way to get USB to one of these two digital inputs.  Hi-Face Two worked, but I don't particularly like it.

May 22, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #26 of 38
Gotcha.  Yes, that's ideal.  I need to update the desktop rig (old one didn't with its proper full size Toslink), but for some reason, the brand new iMac 27" 5K i7 4GHz unit I have doesn't support optical at 192.  Indeed, the MBP does.

May 22, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #27 of 38
That is odd. Now that I look closer, it appears that only one generation of iMacs supported it, unless this is an old support link that hasn't really been updated. I see the iMac 5K does have an optical out. Strange that they would degrade it's specs.

May 22, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #28 of 38
Agreed. Silly.

It just shows they didn't care either way and just used what fit their requirements.

Jan 2, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #29 of 38
I've been told you always want to match the bit and sampling rate of the original, ie 44.1 and 16bit for ripped CDs. iTunes will only play a track bit-perfectly if Audio MIDI Setup's sample frequency matches that of the track being played. 

If you set it to higher, your OS will resample it but there can be quality loss in that process since it's mis-matched. 

Hello Mediahound and Happy New Year,

Is this also true when connecting to Chord Mojo.
I use Apple iMac and iTunes playing 44.1kHz / 16 bit audio which is Apple Music.
Connected to Mojo via Optical.

I set the sample rate in Audio Midi software to 44.1kHz to match the source audio, but not sure what bit rate to set (16bit, 20bit, 24bit, 32bit are the options). Any chance you could suggest the right bit rate Please?

Soundizer

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #30 of 38
Hello Mediahound and Happy New Year,

Is this also true when connecting to Chord Mojo.
I use Apple iMac and iTunes playing 44.1kHz / 16 bit audio which is Apple Music.
Connected to Mojo via Optical.

I set the sample rate in Audio Midi software to 44.1kHz to match the source audio, but not sure what bit rate to set (16bit, 20bit, 24bit, 32bit are the options). Any chance you could suggest the right bit rate Please?

Soundizer

16bit. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back