M50x vs. SE215
Sep 2, 2015 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

SirAudio

Head-Fier
Which one should I buy? I mostly use my headphones at home but I also walk to school and go to gym almost everyday so music wouldn't be a bad addition.

I want my headphones to last long.

Also I like accurate sound with slight bass boost (not much). Which one has better sound quality according my requirements?

Sep 2, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 13
The SE215 is supremely comfortable and has lots of bass, but I love it and Ive been using it for years almost daily. The M50x is more neutral but I couldn't get along with the treble. If you're gonna use it to walk etc, better go for iems..

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #4 of 13
I don't own a lot of different headphones but I actually do yen both of these. I honestly think the overall sound is close enough between them that your preference is mostly going to come down to which style of headphone you like more. I find over ear phones to be much more comfortable than in ears. If I had to pick based on sound quality alone, I would still choose the M50x. I think it's a more fun sound. To me, the SE215's sound more neutral and maybe a bit cleaner overall but the M50x has more pop and personality.

If you decide on the SE215, I highly recommend getting comply foam tips. Those things are fantastic!

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 13
I have the M50S and used to have the SE215s at some point. I don't know how much of a sound difference the M50S are to the M50X's but I found the treble a bit metallic on both products.

The M50X's will probably be more of a fun listening than the SE215s but the SE215's are obviously a lot more portable.

As long as if you don't unplug and plug in the connectors at all, I'd go for the SE215s, but if you want the fun factor and don't mind the unwieldy design then the M50X's will probably work out.

Sep 3, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #6 of 13
Which one should I buy? I mostly use my headphones at home but I also walk to school and go to gym almost everyday so music wouldn't be a bad addition.

Also I like accurate sound with slight bass boost (not much). Which one has better sound quality according my requirements?

Walking through traffic intersections wearing isolating headphones or isolating earphones is very dangerous. Instead use something that doesn't isolate, and keep the volume low. For example, perhaps use a Sennheiser PX100II and keep the volume low.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/775939/unsafe-use-of-isolating-earphones-or-headphones#post_11867022

Sep 3, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #7 of 13
  Walking through traffic intersections wearing isolating headphones or isolating earphones is very dangerous. Instead use something that doesn't isolate, and keep the volume low. For example, perhaps use a Sennheiser PX100II and keep the volume low.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/775939/unsafe-use-of-isolating-earphones-or-headphones#post_11867022

Or, you know, you could use your eyes instead. Failing that, take your earphones off when walking near roads or busy intersections. Using non-isolating earphones and keeping the volume low isn't going to cut it, especially when you're inevitably going to reach for the volume knob. Which then defeats the point of non-isolating headphones, and the double whammy is that you get to accelerate your hearing loss.

If your ears fit IEM's comfortably, an IEM looks to be more sense. Both are bassy to an extent (M50x more IMO), but you're really comparing apples to oranges.

Sep 3, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #8 of 13

Or, you know, you could use your eyes instead. Failing that, take your earphones off when walking near roads or busy intersections. Using non-isolating earphones and keeping the volume low isn't going to cut it, especially when you're inevitably going to reach for the volume knob. Which then defeats the point of non-isolating headphones, and the double whammy is that you get to accelerate your hearing loss.

If your ears fit IEM's comfortably, an IEM looks to be more sense. Both are bassy to an extent (M50x more IMO), but you're really comparing apples to oranges.

People are being killed or injured while wearing isolating headphones or isolating earphones while crossing traffic intersections and railroad crossings.

Sep 3, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #9 of 13
  People are being killed or injured while wearing isolating headphones or isolating earphones while crossing traffic intersections and railroad crossings.

People are also getting killed by speeding and running red lights. Doesn't change the fact that you shouldn't, but people still do. In other words, be smart about it: if you're near crossings or intersections, take off your earphones and you're all good. Failing that, using non-isolating earphones isn't going to be much help either considering the fact that you tend to try and immerse yourself in the music.​

Sep 3, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #10 of 13
  People are also getting killed by speeding and running red lights. Doesn't change the fact that you shouldn't, but people still do. In other words, be smart about it: if you're near crossings or intersections, take off your earphones and you're all good. Failing that, using non-isolating earphones isn't going to be much help either considering the fact that you tend to try and immerse yourself in the music.​

Perhaps if one is wearing open earphones of headphones, they will hear a speeding vehicle approaching. Those walking around outside aren't going to remove their earphones or headphones every time they reach a traffic intersection. many don't try to immerse themselves in the music completely, but instead have it as background music. For example, someone who has a radio on at low volume on their desk at work.

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #11 of 13
  Perhaps if one is wearing open earphones of headphones, they will hear a speeding vehicle approaching. Those walking around outside aren't going to remove their earphones or headphones every time they reach a traffic intersection. many don't try to immerse themselves in the music completely, but instead have it as background music. For example, someone who has a radio on at low volume on their desk at work.

He's also going to use them at the gym so the isolation might be beneficial. I do agree with you that iems that isolate are dangerous, but only in a relatively busy area. I use my sm3 v1 to walk to school and I take them off once I get on the highway, but for residential areas with low traffic, I keep them on and look around. If someone cannot determine whether or not to cross using their eyes, they should be taking a bus or driving. To op, be extra careful when walking now; take looks around every once in a while if youre in a dangerous area because it is easy to get mugged when wearing in ears and being immersed in music. Also, don't assume cars are too far away to hit you and just look forward while crossing; I used to and I almost got hit because the kid was texting while crossing an intersection, he just barely noticed me crossing.

Sep 3, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #12 of 13
  He's also going to use them at the gym so the isolation might be beneficial. I do agree with you that iems that isolate are dangerous, but only in a relatively busy area. I use my sm3 v1 to walk to school and I take them off once I get on the highway, but for residential areas with low traffic, I keep them on and look around. If someone cannot determine whether or not to cross using their eyes, they should be taking a bus or driving. To op, be extra careful when walking now; take looks around every once in a while if youre in a dangerous area because it is easy to get mugged when wearing in ears and being immersed in music. Also, don't assume cars are too far away to hit you and just look forward while crossing; I used to and I almost got hit because the kid was texting while crossing an intersection, he just barely noticed me crossing.

I must have skimmed through the taking headphones to the gym. I'd recommend taking separate cheaper workout buds to the gym. I currently use the Sennheiser CX685 and they work great for my needs.

As for walking around, just be cautious. Simple as that.

Sep 3, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #13 of 13

One won't hear emergency vehicles approaching when they are listening to IEMs. They also won't hear the warning sound of a truck backing up. A few years ago in NYC someone was crushed while listening to music since he didn't hear the warning sound of a truck backing up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back