m50s, m-100, or sennheiser momentum
Dec 10, 2012 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Phoenix07013

New Head-Fier
noobie here with the case of the spins.
There is so much info and though I thought I had settled on the M50s I seem to be getting buyer's remorse before having bought anything

I'll be amping these with a fiio e17 as I think it'll be a good starter amp/dac

I'm leaning towards the Vmoda m100's as it seems like they have the support of a lot of people here on the forums, it seems however that these are a little bass heavy, which is fine sometimes, but I'd like something more detailed

The momentums seems to be great all around, they look good, but the cups apparently run on the small side

And finally the m50s on price alone is what got me, on top of great all around performance based on reviews I've read

I listen to most music, lately been in a folky/ alt rock/ phase, but most anything else.Except pop, and very, very, few selected country

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #4 of 34
The m50s Clamping force makes them uncomfortable to wear after an hour or two, no detachable cable, just ok sound compared to other headphones in the m100 and momentums. Something more natural in their price range are the Mad Dog headphones. Amped they can sound really hi-fi IMO. 

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #5 of 34
Quote:
The m50s Clamping force makes them uncomfortable to wear after an hour or two, no detachable cable, just ok sound compared to other headphones in the m100 and momentums. Something more natural in their price range are the Mad Dog headphones. Amped they can sound really hi-fi IMO. 

+1 ! M50 are great for beginners and looking for headphone in that price range. Since you are able to afford better ones, why not go for Momentum if you are looking for warm and audiophile sound. M100 are excellent in bass & sparky highs with slightly laid back in mids. 

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #7 of 34
Thank you guys.
So the ath m50s are out I think. Leaning towards the sennheisers. Will I get that much more out of them by using an amp/dac being that they are low impedance?
I've never used headphones with an amp setup, so I don't know the difference really until i try it. In a likeliness I'll be getting one anyway (that whole sorry about your wallet thing is true)
Now, any help in trying to explain $300+ for headphones to significant others...

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #9 of 34
Quote:
If you can spend $300 I would also look at the AKG K550/K551.

This is a good suggestion too!

Quote:
Thank you guys.
So the ath m50s are out I think. Leaning towards the sennheisers. Will I get that much more out of them by using an amp/dac being that they are low impedance?
I've never used headphones with an amp setup, so I don't know the difference really until i try it. In a likeliness I'll be getting one anyway (that whole sorry about your wallet thing is true)
Now, any help in trying to explain $300+ for headphones to significant others...

Its not all about impedance. Have a read on this: http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-impedance explains a lot

cheers

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #13 of 34
i'm a little retentive, and an insomniac, so i've stayed up all night reading up reviews, opinions, I just wish I could find somewhere near by to try them on
somewhat leaning towards the momentums, only worried about cup size....

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #15 of 34
Quote:
If you can spend $300 I would also look at the AKG K550/K551.

In that case why not K701/k702 ? You can find them on ebay for that price...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back