M50, What happened?!
Dec 10, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #16 of 26

Quote:
Here's a quote from you about the ZX700: "i listened to these at the sony store and didn't like them. they sounded bad. everything sounded out of place, it was harsh and also boring." Then in another thread you say(paraphrasing) the M50s are "good" but not as good as the 840s. Make up your mind man!
tongue.gif
j/k

Anyway, simple answer is the price went up. Still $125 on Amazon which is good.

That was a 3 minutes audition. I have had more time with them.

Dec 10, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #17 of 26

Quote:
The shure srh840 kills the m50s. I own both. I just don't hear what everyone hears in the m50s. Sure their good but not as good as the srh840. I will praise the srh840 for all eternity for their $130 price they go for. Dynamically they are better. The m50s sound colored and fake to me by comparison. I'm glad the m50 hype has died down. I got sick of the need new headphones for $150 thread were everyone recommended the m50s. There is way better cans. The zx700 also sounds better to me.

Certainly it all comes down to personal preference, and what one expects from their headphones.  Although I've never heard the 840's, I own a pair of 440s with 840 earcups, and to me they sound flatter than piss on a plate.  Now if that is the "neutrality" coming through, I don't know.  All I can say is the M50s sound way better in all respects for my taste.  If that M50 sound qualifies as coloured, then colour me crazy! 

Dec 10, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #18 of 26

Quote:
Certainly it all comes down to personal preference, and what one expects from their headphones.  Although I've never heard the 840's, I own a pair of 440s with 840 earcups, and to me they sound flatter than piss on a plate.  Now if that is the "neutrality" coming through, I don't know.  All I can say is the M50s sound way better in all respects for my taste.  If that M50 sound qualifies as coloured, then colour me crazy! 

Flatter is more dynamic. Colored is coloring not fidelity. True hi fidelity is flat. So on paper the srh840 is better.

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #20 of 26
Nowadays people seem to have changed the FOTM from M50 to HFI 580.

The way I see it, people were suggesting the M50s far too much to everyone. This is where it went wrong. People didn't listen to eachother and went "M50" automatically.

"I want a set of headphones that are amazing for vocals and has a little laidback sound"
"M50!!1"

"I'm all about mids and highs! They should not be recessed, but emphasized! I couldn't care less about bass."
"M50!!1"

"I want an aggressive, slightly V-shaped sound with a good bass extension while keeping the highs at a decent level"
"M50!!1"

Only one of these will be satisfied. Can you guess which one? Can you guess which headphone will lose it's hype eventually when people discover that certain headphones certainly aren't jacks of all trades.

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #23 of 26

Quote:
Nowadays people seem to have changed the FOTM from M50 to HFI 580.

The way I see it, people were suggesting the M50s far too much to everyone. This is where it went wrong. People didn't listen to eachother and went "M50" automatically.

"I want a set of headphones that are amazing for vocals and has a little laidback sound"
"M50!!1"

"I'm all about mids and highs! They should not be recessed, but emphasized! I couldn't care less about bass."
"M50!!1"

"I want an aggressive, slightly V-shaped sound with a good bass extension while keeping the highs at a decent level"
"M50!!1"

Only one of these will be satisfied. Can you guess which one? Can you guess which headphone will lose it's hype eventually when people discover that certain headphones certainly aren't jacks of all trades.

Number 3

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #24 of 26

Quote:
Number 3

Yatzy. Although, I didn't really mean that you should guess which one quite so literal. 
wink.gif

I just recently bought a pair of M50S from Amazon for $125, this thread makes me want the Ultrasone 580s more now. <.<

Don't worry. The 580 certainly aren't to everyones liking. It's just that they seem to get mentioned in the same way M50s were mentioned. I didn't like the 580s at all, and in my opinion, the only thing they did better than M50 was midbass. Furthermore, S-logic really is a polarizing sound - certainly not everyone loves it.

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #26 of 26

Quote:
I would like a chance to hear the 840, and give Shure another chance.  I do love their microphones, the SM 57 is godly.

The shure srh840 can be found at london drugs seeing as you live in british columbia. It's very easy to acquire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back