M50 vs DT770
May 23, 2014 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

tingtongtay

New Head-Fier
I just bought both m50 and dt770 as I wanted to try a closed back headphone. I am new to this the most expensive headphones I ever owned before this was apple in-ear which are pretty good for the price IMO. Anyways I have had the m50 for a while and LOVE it, the dt 770 is 32 ohm impedence and I thought wouldn't need an amp but I think it does. It lacks in many aspects compared to the m50, so should I return it and get a 250 ohm with an amp? Also, I burned in the m50 which people have told me does nothing and am wondering if I need to burn in the dt770. A lot of questions I know, also I am up for other recomendations for good closed ear headphones. I listen to lots of folk, classical, electronic, and pretty much everything. 

May 23, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #2 of 11
Where are you plugging your headphones to?

As far as i know the most popular option is the DT770 80 ohm version, as it sounds better for bassy genres but needs decent driving power. 

May 23, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 11
Just an ipod or my computer. Would the fiio e17 work? I am thinking the 250 ohm version, what is the difference between 250, 80 and 32 if you were to be using a portable amp? I actually feel like the m50 is a bit too bass heavy,  I am hearing a lot of things on the dt770 in the higher and mid frequency range that are just beautiful. I think all closed back are typically more bass heavy.

May 23, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 11
The E17 should do.  An ipod has a wussy headphone amplifier, and M50 is particularly efficient, so the ATH has an advantage.  Remember to use a audio line-out dock with the ipod to feed the E17 for best sound, then you can also use the E17 as an upgrade "soundcard" with your computer.

May 24, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #5 of 11
I just ordered the e12 which should work as well, but my ipod doesn't have a 30 pin connector it is that stupid thunderbolt or whatever. Is there a line out for that connection? Also is there a line out for a usb (for my computer or android devices)?

May 24, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 11
Tingtongtay, I was also trying to decide between the 770's and M50's. Having the opportunity to listen to my friends M50's multiple times and the 770's at my local guitar center, I went with the 770's. IMO, they are much more comfortable and have nice sounding bass to my ears. I power them from my iPhone 5s no amp and they sound fine for my listening tastes.

May 24, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #7 of 11
I had the m50 for quite some time and have the dt770 from a friend. The beyerdynamic is more comfortable and overall more musical I would say. It's better than the m50 not by a landslide but better.

Cheers,
K

May 24, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #8 of 11
  I just ordered the e12 which should work as well, but my ipod doesn't have a 30 pin connector it is that stupid thunderbolt or whatever. Is there a line out for that connection? Also is there a line out for a usb (for my computer or android devices)?

The thunderbolt devices don't have audio line-out, but it might be possible to use a very short USB-thunderbolt cable to plug the ipod into a DAC/amplifier combo like the E17 and get even better sound by bypassing the ipod's DAC.

May 24, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #9 of 11

The thunderbolt devices don't have audio line-out, but it might be possible to use a very short USB-thunderbolt cable to plug the ipod into a DAC/amplifier combo like the E17 and get even better sound by bypassing the ipod's DAC.

I can't imagine it is that much better, I am starting to realize that the perception of 'better' on many headphones is just preference. I really don't know if I am a fan of the DT770, but I will try it with the fiio e12. I hope that apple gives right to make a thunderbolt line-out, I think I will just wait for that. But is there a fiio usb line-out? One I could use for my computer or android devices?

May 24, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #10 of 11
  I can't imagine it is that much better, I am starting to realize that the perception of 'better' on many headphones is just preference. I really don't know if I am a fan of the DT770, but I will try it with the fiio e12. I hope that apple gives right to make a thunderbolt line-out, I think I will just wait for that. But is there a fiio usb line-out? One I could use for my computer or android devices?

True, it is not a day and night difference, like many things.  Some people don't mind mildly shrill highs, flabby or sterile bass, or a veiled midrange, so it is all a matter of preference.

May 24, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #11 of 11

True, it is not a day and night difference, like many things.  Some people don't mind mildly shrill highs, flabby or sterile bass, or a veiled midrange, so it is all a matter of preference.

I'm not sure if that was a slam or not, but in either case I feel like the m50 performs better if the song stays in the lower range. It has a better bass and lower frequency tone but it can wash out the upper range on a song. I will see how the DT770  does with the amp though. Any advice on other headphones? Also I hate to ask again but are their usb line out connectors? I have not seen any. Also, is there any way to use the thunderbolt as a line out (USB adapter etc.)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back