M50 vs A700 vs Ultrasone 780 vs DT880
Jun 3, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #16 of 22
I own the M50 and I think they are pretty comofrtable. My ears don't sweat, the cushions are very comfortable, the only bad part is that at first it may feel like the top of the band is pushing on your head but  after the first time wearing these you don't really feel it any more. Have been wearing these for long periods of time and have had no trouble.

Jun 4, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #17 of 22
I have a700s and I like them quite a bit.  I have some nicer phones but I still use the A700s often.  Extremely comfortable, but don't plan on wearing them or even carrying them around.  Way too huge and don't fold.  They are great for gaming and trance, but the instrument separation and soundstage may sound a bit artificial with metal and newer rock music.  If you mean classic rock like Zep or Floyd than they are excellent.

I'm getting ready to add the SRH-840s to my arsenal in the coming days.  I need another closed phone and it needs to be transportable.  If I didn't need he folding I might consider they beyer's, but they are more expensive anyway.

Jun 4, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #18 of 22

Quote:
Would a 5.1 Reciever work as an amp or would I be better off buying one?

I don't have any experience with dedicated headphone amps yet, but I do have a Sony stereo receiver (old one from the 90s) and an Onkyo 706 7.1 surround receiver at home which I use to amp my Ultrasone 780s. Both of those receivers provide a huge SQ increase from the headphone out of both my laptop and my ipod, so I'd guess that your receiver would be adequate. 

Jun 5, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #20 of 22
Of my headphones, M-50 is the one that benefited least from using a dedicated amp (smallest difference in sq).

Jun 6, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #21 of 22
I've used both my Denon and Onkyo 7.1 receivers and they both sound surprisingly good for headphone use. Either that or my tube LunchboxPro is just not as good as some people claim it is. I think I should swap the stock tubes out for something else because it doesn't sound particularly tubey to me. I've seen people say the LunchboxPro uses the same topology as an Earmax and it sounds just as good if you swap the tubes. Earmax = $650.00 LunchboxPro = $220.00

Jun 6, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #22 of 22

Quote:

I'm getting ready to add the SRH-840s to my arsenal in the coming days.  I need another closed phone and it needs to be transportable.  If I didn't need he folding I might consider they beyer's, but they are more expensive anyway.

I think you will be happy with the SRH840, they sound overall more pleasing to my ears than DT990pro. I see over at Headgear thye have top 10 headphones of 2010 in various price brackets and see the have M50 in $150.00 price bracket. I have to disagree with that because I know the SRH840 are a better headphone and I have seen them at amazon.com for $160.00 so for that price bracket SRH840 should get the prize and not M50. I have a friend who is an old audiophile ands he agrees the SRH840 are better than M50.
He described the M50 as almost harsh on the top end but I can't say I quite agree with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back