M50 vs A700 vs Ultrasone 780 vs DT880
Jun 3, 2010 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

TF2

Head-Fier
I am looking for headphones for gaming and music.  I listen to trance, house, metal and rock.  The only ones I can afford now are the M50s and A700, I would have to save for the other headphones.  Which do you think would be the best for the money and for what I plan on using them for?  Also, I won't understand if you relate them to other headphones since the only pair I've ever heard is HD555s.

Jun 3, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 22
I have M50s and I also have DT990pro and Shure840. For your purposes I like the Shure840 the best out of the headphones I own. Shure 840 is more comfortable than M50 and also has better overall sound quality, not by a lot but enough to make it the better recomendation IMO.

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #5 of 22
I can tell you right now the M50 are not a good choice for long gaming sessions. They clamp tight on my noggin and start to hurt my ears after about 1 hour of use. They also make my ears sweat. The Shure840 I told you about are a closed headphone too but have larger cups and use silicon gel in the padding so are far more comfortable. beyerdynamic has very good rep for comfportable headphones so they would be a good choice too but I really do not recomend M50 for your purposes.

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 22
If you had a decent amp I'd say go for the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 which is perfect for gaming and would suit your music nicely, but from the two you've listed, the M50 would be better for music but the A700 better for gaming. Guess it depends which you put more weight on I suppose.

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #7 of 22
Ok, for short listening time (2 hours or less) are they unbearable or should I get the Shures, or something different?

I want to use them like 50/50 for gaming and music, so I don't want to spend big money on a pair thats only good for one of them.  I have a home theater receiver, I'm not sure if that can be used for an amp...

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:
If you had a decent amp I'd say go for the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 which is perfect for gaming and would suit your music nicely, but from the two you've listed, the M50 would be better for music but the A700 better for gaming. Guess it depends which you put more weight on I suppose.

I agree. I've used the DT770s for gaming and they do really well. They are also extremely comfortable. The second most comfortable can I've tried behind my Denons. For trance they do pretty well but the bass is a bit boomy but I hear an amp helps. If you have a good soundcard I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem. On a side note, I personally prefer the 780s you menitoned for trance but the DT770s do a good job as well.

Oh if you do decide on the DT770s shoot me a PM. I might be able to help you.

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #10 of 22
That's difficult to quantify. I feel their bass is faster and punchier. They also have a more of an aggressive, involving sound. Regretfully I never tried them out with gaming but I hear they do a decent job. Comfort wise though the DT770s win hands down. Either way I don't think you can go wrong.

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #11 of 22
I don't have the money for the Ultrasones or the Beyerdynamics right now and would have to wait a few weeks/months, but could buy the M50s right now.  Do you think it is worth the wait to get one of those?

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #14 of 22
Shure 840 work well unamped too. As for comfort, perhaps it is my large head but I just do not find the M50 all that comfortable and is why I bought the Shure 840 in the first place. They are a better headphone than the M50 (that doesn't mean M50 is a bad headphone), people compare the Shure 840 to the Denon D2000 which cost $100.00 more than Shure 840. I paid exactly the same price for Shure 840 as I did M50 in Caanda but I see they recently lowered the price of M50 so you can get them for a bit less. If you can find Shure 840 for same price as M50 then take my advice and get those over M50.

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:
Would a 5.1 Reciever work as an amp or would I be better off buying one?

Should to a degree but it won't be as good as a dedicated headphone amplifier. It should be an improvement to unamped though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back