M50 "Love or Hate"
Jan 12, 2013 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

AudioScream

Head-Fier
I guess the M50's tend to be a love or hate headphone. I love mine, How about you guys?

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 20
Is this a fanboy thread ???
Anyway, I love mine too. In 150$ price range, they are one of the best, if not the best AFAIK: sweet midrange, treble, good amount of bass, build quality is top notch, very easy to drive even with an iPhone/iPod to the point even amping wouldn't benefit much. The only downside I can complaint is the comfort...The clamping force are too tight and it's hot. I can only wear them continuously for 30 mins at best. Furthermore, the pleather earpads get stiff and cracked  after a short time of use. 

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 20
I wouldn't call it a fanboy thread. I just want to know what others think without having to scour Head-Fi. I don't get the clamping force issue a lot of people have. I have a friggin' massive dome and I don't have an issue. They do get a little sweaty after a while, but I digress. 

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #4 of 20
I have been listening to mine consistently since I got them 4 days ago. I really like them a lot! I didn't like them much until 2 days into listening. I've probably accumulated 25+ hours listening time so far, likely more. I like how they have the right amount of bass for a song. Some songs hit way harder than other in the same exact genre (house, for example). Vocals don't seem up-front, more like a bit behind the high end but they are still clear and enjoyable. At certain volumes, treble tends to pierce ends and hurt, but that's my only complaint. I don't have the uncomfortable issues like hard clamping or sweaty earpads even right out of the box, but i do have a pretty small head and hair covers my ears (with no discernable quality degredation after testing with the hair out of the way). I own the white version, very comfy and soft for me. These are my first pair of cans above $100. I'm happy with them. I prefer a bit more of a bassy response but these are decently satisfactory in that regard. Punchy, tight, controlled, and not muddy. I plan on V Moda M80s or HFI 580 in my next purchase.

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #5 of 20
I got mine yesterday and haven't put them down. I had MDR-V6's before these and I don't think the V6's compare. I want a DT770 80 ohm next and then maybe a pair of Sennheisers... was thinking 598.

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:
I got mine yesterday and haven't put them down. I had MDR-V6's before these and I don't think the V6's compare. I want a DT770 80 ohm next and then maybe a pair of Sennheisers... was thinking 598.

HD598 definitely an upgrade over M50, the first time I tried HD598 was...wow: huge soundstage, airy(not like the congested sound on M50), very smooth and upfront sweet midrange. However, you won't get the sparkle treble like M50 but it's still decent. 

I prefer a bit more of a bassy response but these are decently satisfactory in that regard. Punchy, tight, controlled, and not muddy. I plan on V Moda M80s or HFI 580 in my next purchase.

HFI 580 is a bit more expensive than M50, they sound pretty much the same as M50 but with more upfront midrange.  I suggest you choose another one as HFI 580 is not worth upgrade from M50
M80 sounds artificial to me, I hate its mid and roll-off treble, the earcups are small and hard to fit on my head. M100 would be a better choice as they have lots of bass and larger earcups

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #8 of 20
I think the M50 is a nice can to start with but feels a little 'jack of all trades, master of none'.
The highs didn't extend as much as I wanted them from what I remember but the lows were alright.
It felt like a 'headphoney' sound, like the sound was being pumped into your ears. I'm guessing that's the closed nature of the cans.
I miss that clamp force~

I liked the M50 but have long since moved on. Perhaps OP will as well.

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #9 of 20
I don't really like it but I will still recommend to those who come from stock earbuds and looking for their first real pair of headphone at it's price range as it does not require amp to sound good, durable and portable. :)

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #11 of 20
I didn't like them when I bought them, I like them even less now. The lack of soundstage ruins them for me, and drums/cymbals sound fake. I've had comfort issues since day one, particularly caused by the headband and the tiny earpads. Comfort improved as I changed the pads to 840 pads, but the sound still doesn't please me.

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #12 of 20
What I find weird is that each time I listen to M50, the longer I listen, the smaller the volume I hear so I end up tuning up the volume bit by bit until I realize they are too loud already.

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #13 of 20
I don't love or hate them.  I don't care about them, nor do I recommend them.

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #14 of 20
I think the issue with these headphones is what they are being used for. They are STUDIO MONITORS. These headphones are designed to be as flat and accurate as possible. That for most people is not pleasant to listen to. Most listeners want headphones that enhance sound and make things "pleasurable". I learned this from being a studio musician. I absolutely hate using these things while recording because I'm a bass player. Since they are flat and accurate Its hard to isolate and turn up just my instrument while recording with them on. Now over the years as I do more production and analytical work, I clearly see the strengths of these headphones. No other headphone can be used for accurate sound mixing in my opinion without costing an arm and a leg.

People are judging these things for performance at things they aren't designed for. 

Jan 13, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #15 of 20
^^ I disagree there... I think the Shure SRH-440's do a MUCH better job of defining sound accurately for 40 dollars less than the M-50's. In fact... That is the little problem I found with the 440's. Everytime I put them on, it sounds like the artist is right there in the room singing.... And alot of people love that for accurate monitoring...but if you want the bass or "ooooo and ahhhh's" They wont really do that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back