M50 Lacking Bass?
Dec 25, 2011 at 6:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Agony

100+ Head-Fier
From posts and reviews I've read, the M50s were glorified as a bass monster.
I've also read they are notorious for their need for burn-in.

I'm 50% skeptical on burn-in, but the bass doesn't seem as cut out as people have told me. 

So, should I burn in my cans? And for how long?

Dec 25, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 11
The only sound change I observed was about a week after regular use. But anyway M50s are not bass monsters. I also bought them believing they would be but they aren't. We were deceived.

Also, this should be in the Full-Sized forum.

Dec 25, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 11
If you say they are, they are. Get an amp and you may actually hear some BASSSSS
basshead.gif

Dec 25, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 11
If its bass you're looking for, go for the ATH-Pro700MK2. 

I was in a similar situation with the V-Moda M-80 vs the V-Moda LP1/LP2. I was reading reviews on the M-80 and people were saying that they were bass-heavy so I figured they would be enough bass. I bought them and was deceived. 
If the Beats Studio were a 9 out of 10 in bass quantity, the Klipsch Image One a 8.8 out of 10, the Bower & Wilkens P5 an 8, the Sony  MDR-V6 a 7.5, the AT AD700 a 6.5, the M-80 would be a 7.8 right out of the box. 
Straight out of the box, the M-80 would be right between the P5 and the MDR-V6. I have about 15-20 hours of burn-in time and the quantity of the bass is almost, if not on par with the P5 and they're supposed to exceed them after being fully cooked. 

Im probably buying V-Moda LP1s for my bass fix. 

Dec 26, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
Try burning-in or EQing the bass, that may help ^^

When I EQ the bass on my 3GS, it just sounds horrible. My Fiio e5 sorta cleans up my bass issue, but after 10-20 hours of burn-in, I started to realize the highs are a bit muddy, but that's definitely because, for some reason, my HQ songs on iTunes sync to my phone in some crappy low bit-rate version.

Will there be night and day difference after a good 100 hours of burn-in?

Dec 26, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
When I EQ the bass on my 3GS, it just sounds horrible. My Fiio e5 sorta cleans up my bass issue, but after 10-20 hours of burn-in, I started to realize the highs are a bit muddy, but that's definitely because, for some reason, my HQ songs on iTunes sync to my phone in some crappy low bit-rate version.

Will there be night and day difference after a good 100 hours of burn-in?

There are people who say that the M50s need a lot of burn-in. Like 150 hours long. Try burning in for 150 hours and see if it works. 

Dec 30, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 11
After burning in for about 175 hours, they sound amazing.

Bass is on par with Monster Beats, and the mids and highs gained clarity. Thanks for everything.

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Bass is on par with Monster Beats, and the mids and highs gained clarity. Thanks for everything.

Beats and Bose, right? Because the BASSSSS is just soooo good
blink.gif

Dec 31, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:

Are you sure it's on par with beats? That isn't as a good thing as it may sound. Beats have rather muddy and bloated bass to me/ 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back