M3 vs. LaRocco PRII
Feb 27, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo
Thanks for the very interesting (and educational for me) information. Does the CT102 comes with a casing ? It looks very sexy and professional, although the design is only up to 20V DC.

Will be contacting DACT for my information.

Thanks for the good lead.

F . Lo

20V would be just fine.

Larry

Feb 28, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #17 of 28
Can it be stated that the M^3 is the better choice if portability is not needed/wanted?

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #18 of 28
Sure it can be stated, but like everything else on Head-Fi it all comes down to personal preference. Having had both at the same time, I preferred using the M^3 as a home amp, and the PR II primarily as portable. With that said, I still think the PR II makes a fine home amp as well. From what I've read on some of the DIY forums, the designers of the M^3 have designed a portable amp called the Mini^3, with a similar 3 op-amp topology in a much smaller package.

Feb 28, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7
Sure it can be stated, but like everything else on Head-Fi it all comes down to personal preference. Having had both at the same time, I preferred using the M^3 as a home amp, and the PR II primarily as portable. With that said, I still think the PR II makes a fine home amp as well. From what I've read on some of the DIY forums, the designers of the M^3 have designed a portable amp called the Mini^3, with a similar 3 op-amp topology in a much smaller package.

Is there more information on the "Mini^3"? Are these going to go into production? More or less than the LaRocco Pocket Reference II?

Feb 28, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
Is there more information on the "Mini^3"? Are these going to go into production? More or less than the LaRocco Pocket Reference II?

http://headwize.com/ubb/showpage.php?fnum=3&tid=6096

It's a DIY design that should cost less than $100 (including an Elpac or other expensive wallwart) if you build it yourself. $50 parts cost + $35 Elpac. Batteries extra.

Feb 28, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7
the designers of the M^3 have designed a portable amp called the Mini^3, with a similar 3 op-amp topology in a much smaller package.

Oh no PLEASE do not compare the Multiloop Buffered opamp with this new portable I asume you are refering to this http://www.amb.org/audio/mini3/
This is a DIY project and the PR-II is ready built. however if the DIY is your thing might i sugest http://tangentsoft.net/audio/ppa/ as a full performance Portable amp.

Feb 28, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #22 of 28
Wouldn't dream of it. Just something I thought might be of interest to the young whippersnapper...

Feb 28, 2006 at 8:02 AM Post #23 of 28
Au contraire, mon frère Phil. Have you experimented with the AD8397? It is an amazingly studly chip. Xin, Kurt, Tangent, Kevin, amb, and I are all impressed with it. At the recent Saratoga meet, some of us compared Mini³ to M³ and Dynahi with an A-B switchbox, and could not tell the difference. Kurt told me his AD8397 amp specs and sounds better than his PPA. I codesigned PPA with you and Tangent, but I'll take Mini³ over PPAv1 or PPAv2 any day, because Mini³ is smaller, simpler, cheaper, and sounds great. Too bad there wasn't room for bass boost. Ah well, you can't have everything.

Feb 28, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
http://headwize.com/ubb/showpage.php?fnum=3&tid=6096

It's a DIY design that should cost less than $100 (including an Elpac or other expensive wallwart) if you build it yourself. $50 parts cost + $35 Elpac. Batteries extra.

Thanks for the info. I guess it could be my first DIY amp and my first amp!
icon10.gif
Anyone want to comment on how difficult a project like this would be? I am referring to the Mini^3.

Feb 28, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by morsel
Au contraire, mon frère Phil. Have you experimented with the AD8397? It is an amazingly studly chip. Xin, Kurt, Tangent, Kevin, amb, and I are all impressed with it. At the recent Saratoga meet, some of us compared Mini³ to M³ and Dynahi with an A-B switchbox, and could not tell the difference. Kurt told me his AD8397 amp specs and sounds better than his PPA. I codesigned PPA with you and Tangent, but I'll take Mini³ over PPAv1 or PPAv2 any day, because Mini³ is smaller, simpler, cheaper, and sounds great. Too bad there wasn't room for bass boost. Ah well, you can't have everything.

Morsel my point was not to compare the sound of the PR-II to the M3 pr Mini3 my point was why compare a DIY amp to a ready made one and Portable vs non portable amps.

Now since you Brought up the sound well Im sure the Mini is an ok amp however in the same class as the PPA no and yes I have heard this chip it is also used in at least one other commercial Amp I have heard and well the sound was cold and analytical as well as compressed, Not my cup of tea.

The M3 I am quite sure is as good as the PPA in performance as it is the PPA with Mosfets, Moreover the PPA is a portable and I have yet to hear a portable sound as good as My PPA-v2 I actually only heard the M3 at the last Meet and compared it to the Block head and Headcode. The M3 is nice however slightly dark but some folks like that myself I like full extended highs. You know I don’t like mosfets and the M3 sounds like Mosfet amps of the past like Halfler again not my cup of tea.

Please don’t take my above comments as insulting or downgrading of yours and AMB’s work but take the above as my personal view derived from an outdoor meet and using the Dull sounding HD-650’s so I will have to wait until someone allows me some time to evaluate the M3 amd Mini3 on my own terms with my beloved CD-3K’s then and only then can I make a for sure statement on what these Amps sound like, However on my short listen to the M3 in comparison to two other High end amp showed even via the HD-650 the perceived rolloff in the M3, Sergio Listened to these three amps a long time so he could give you a better idea Sergio Liked the M3’s bass.

Feb 28, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
Thanks for the info. I guess it could be my first DIY amp and my first amp!
icon10.gif
Anyone want to comment on how difficult a project like this would be? I am referring to the Mini^3.

Easy if you know how to solder the SMD opamps. The rest should be fairly straightforward.

Mar 1, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Easy if you know how to solder the SMD opamps. The rest should be fairly straightforward.

Well thanks for the answer, but I don't think I have the patience for such a project.
icon10.gif
Maybe when I have more of an idea of how to make an amp I'll do it...

Mar 1, 2006 at 2:52 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by binary_digit
20V would be just fine.

Larry

Contacted DACT but they don't offer complete assembled package. Any DIY recommendations who can put the CT102 into a neat compact package ?

I am not a DIYer and probably too old / busy to be one now :frowning2:

Any assistance would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
F Lo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back