M3 or Millet Hybrid?
Jun 14, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
I would have to disagree with you here, respectfullly of course. I've listened to my M3 with both the "stock" Ad8610s as well as the 637/627 combo and neither is remotely close to the warmth the Millett has. It's just a whole different animal.

Nate

Nate, no offense taken! this is a forum, it's all about opinions! I haven't listened to an M3 so I can't refute your comment, but I can tell you I'm in the process of making one hell of a maxed out M3 at the moment, using some serious head-fi knowledge from the elders
wink.gif
(here's looking at you P-A, amb, tangent, PPL, dakiller, Dr. Gilmore and others) (edit: their posts at least, if not more)

so I'll keep you posted as to how I go (may be a while before it's done at this rate - I'm scrutinising just about every component)

Jun 14, 2005 at 12:17 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazper
<snip>but I can tell you I'm in the process of making one hell of a maxed out M3 at the moment, using some serious head-fi knowledge from the elders
wink.gif
(here's looking at you P-A, amb, tangent, PPL, dakiller, Dr. Gilmore and others) (edit: their posts at least, if not more)

so I'll keep you posted as to how I go (may be a while before it's done at this rate - I'm scrutinising just about every component)

My opinion
wink.gif
is that you'll enjoy your M3 very much. One of these days I'll finish mine too (case work is the devil) and give it a real power supply but for now it sings pretty nicely in it's tin case and w/ an Elpac.

Please let us know how it goes!

Nate

Jun 14, 2005 at 1:09 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazper
I'm in the process of making one hell of a maxed out M3 at the moment..., I'm scrutinising just about every component)

Jazper,

Sounds like fun! If you would please share some of your component selection knowledge/choices that you gained, and your impressions when you are done, others I'm sure would benefit.

A fellow M³'er

DigiPete

Jun 14, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #19 of 25
The Bobely Hybrid looks interesting. There's a copy of the AudioXpress article by Bobely that describes it here:

http://www.borbelyaudio.com/pics/405borbely2506.pdf

It looks like it might be a doable point to point project. Maybe twice the hours to build of the Millett?

I'm a little intimidated by my lack of power supply knowledge, but I'm getting there. He doesn't really spell out how to make the ps and it looks like it needs two or even three of them.

Jun 14, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

doesn't really spell out how to make the ps and it looks like it needs two or even three of them.

Plus and minus 24VDC.no more difficult than doing plus/minus 15VDC

Jun 14, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #21 of 25
Is plus and minus means dual? like +/-15 = 30vdc if connected together?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
Plus and minus 24VDC.no more difficult than doing plus/minus 15VDC

Jun 14, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #22 of 25
no.

The Borbely uses a -24 Volt DC/+24 Volt DC power supply and i was making the point (badly I guess
rolleyes.gif
) that this is no more difficult than making a -15 Volt DC/+15 Volt DC power supply which is pretty much the standard power supply in SS headphone amps for the home so any powering issues could be layed to rest.

Jun 14, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #23 of 25
I was thinking that if I was going to build this thing, it would be fun to do the power supply point to point as well. There is a circuit diagram on Borbely's site for his PS kit, but it looks like a bit much for point to point and he's recommending one for each channel and annother for the cathode heaters.

I'd prefer to do something that would use one transformer and fewer parts and that's where I hit the wall as what I know how to do right now.

I'm on chapter two of The Art of Electronics...
icon10.gif
...still reading.

I'm more interested in learning how all this works than I am in absolute best audio quality. I also have a smallish budget for this stuff or else I'd just order all the kits from Borbely.

Jun 14, 2005 at 11:45 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

I'm on chapter two of The Art of Electronics... ...still reading.

good book that,exellant readin and content.

Quote:

I'm more interested in learning how all this works than I am in absolute best audio quality. I also have a smallish budget for this stuff or else I'd just order all the kits from Borbely.

The "how stuff works" and "best audio" are not mutually exclusive but partners.Once you know the how and why the rest is easy.The budget thing is one I can relate to big time and think it is very cool when top designers offer up their work for DIYers to make a copy of for personal use.

Heavy hitters like Erno Borbely and Nelson Pass have nothing but my total respect for doing this and the only shamful thing is how some try to profit on the generosity of others who post the design for personal use only then have to deal with crooks selling unauthorized kit versions or pc boards.

Honesty and the internet do not go hand in hand far too many times and even copyrighted material is up for grabs if you search long enough.

Power Supply The "quick and dirty" hardwired version :

1-Power Transformer bolted to chassis bottom

2-The bridge rectifier bolted to the chassis bottom or if using individual rectifiers mounted on a terminal strip (cost about $0.25 !)

3-Initial filter capacitors mounted to terminal strips with the center lug being attached to the chassis.This will be the star ground point

4-I would use three terminal regualators (one positive,one negative) bolted to chassis mounted heat sinks (rear panel).The additional parts for this supply could then be soldered directly to the pins of the regualtor chip (the local regulator parts-resistors X2 and reverse polarity diodes).

5-final filter caps stage/bypasses righ at the amp itself

Other than the final filter/bypass stage i would put the entire power supply in an external box.That way if you want to upgrade the power source in the future it will be a simple plug in and not a total amp rebuild.

Just a suggestion but that is how I would do it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back