M-stage Matrix heat issues?
Aug 26, 2011 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mrksgrn

Head-Fier
I've received my new M-Matrix today from Tam and everything seems fine and dandy (fixed the humming by tightening bottom screw), with the exception of heat.

It is running quite hot out of the box. No class A bias.

My setup is HRT MSII > M-stage Matrix > ATH PRO700 / HD650

Is this normal for the unit to produce so much heat in normal operation? Has there been reports of failures due to heat?
Should I be turning the unit off if I'm not using it or could I leave it on 24/7 as I do with my computer?

Thanks in advance!

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #2 of 16
Mine only gets warm. . . same setup. I wouldn't leave it on all the time, that's just wasteful!

If it gets really hot I would reckon something is wrong. . . 

Aug 27, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
I've received my new M-Matrix today from Tam and everything seems fine and dandy (fixed the humming by tightening bottom screw), with the exception of heat.

It is running quite hot out of the box. No class A bias.

My setup is HRT MSII > M-stage Matrix > ATH PRO700 / HD650

Is this normal for the unit to produce so much heat in normal operation? Has there been reports of failures due to heat?
Should I be turning the unit off if I'm not using it or could I leave it on 24/7 as I do with my computer?

Thanks in advance!

Mine gets warm as well (class-a-mod) but not "too" hot. It's not "**** I'm burning myself staring at it" hot ... more like a sort of cozy toasty hot. I'd say unless you're frying your table, hand or signal cables, everything is fine and dandy. It's supposed to be hot. 

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is this secure space requirement?

I would also like to know...
confused.gif

Aug 28, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
The manual says:

At least 5 cm on both sides and its back
At least 10 cm from its top

That?
No big deal man..
It's not like it has any vent holes so as to need space...
Just don't put it on top of anything hot..

Aug 28, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #10 of 16
My Matrix M Stage gets very warm when you leave it on for an hour or two or more.
Nothing to get concerned about.
I would turn it off when you are not using it, as it is not UL or CSA approved, nor does it have a CE mark on it.

In other words, it has no regulatory safety approval.

Aug 29, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #11 of 16
Mine's stacked on top of my Yulong D100 xD
Both of them gets very hot, to the point where you can't leave your hand on it for over a few seconds. But its perfectly fine.

m-Stage uses only 10W of power, while Yulong D100 uses 20W (My CDP uses 100W...)

Aug 30, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
Mine's stacked on top of my Yulong D100 xD
Both of them gets very hot, to the point where you can't leave your hand on it for over a few seconds. But its perfectly fine.

m-Stage uses only 10W of power, while Yulong D100 uses 20W (My CDP uses 100W...)

Are you sure it won't die eventually if you do that? 

Sep 4, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #13 of 16
If both units get hot, I would not stack them, put then side by side, let 'em breathe so they don't heat each other up even more than they already are.
Heat is the enemy of your power supply capacitors.

Sep 5, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #14 of 16
The thing is, Yulong never gets really hot. Its the m-Stage that gets very hot. But I live in Hong Kong so I have to have the aircon on at all times or I'll die... So it doesn't really matter for me. 
And heat rises, Yulong would be fine xD. Never heard of the m-Stage dying though.

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #15 of 16
if its the air vented version of it is it safe to leave it on 24/7?
i usually leave it on the whole day and turn it off when i sleep.
it barely even hit room temperature. still pretty cold to the touch even by the end of the day.
it doesn't sound right until about 8hrs after i turn it on. waiting 8 hours for good sound is annoying.
so i wonder if its fine to leave it on. like how a modem and router is left on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back