M-Audio Revo Vs. Audiophile 2496 Vs. Audiophile USB, Vs Pro Hi-fi link
May 19, 2004 at 10:54 PM Post #16 of 26
After auditioning more gear, I now feel that the amp is too important to leave up to a cheap receiver, perhaps with the exception of one of the new pannies or the powerwave as poweramp.

May 19, 2004 at 11:00 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
After auditioning more gear, I now feel that the amp is too important to leave up to a cheap receiver, perhaps with the exception of one of the new pannies or the powerwave as poweramp.

What kind of amp or receiver you recommend? I mean not so expensive ones.

May 19, 2004 at 11:45 PM Post #18 of 26
If I were to build a budget system all over again from scratch, there are only 3 options I would consider, in two categories.

For locking myself down and preventing myself from upgrading for a long time, I would go with pro studio powered monitors. Specifically, the event tr-5. I spent 8-10 hours listening to various monitors from $300 to $1400 and on the cheap end, these are IT. I hear things about the yorkville monitors (canadian monitors,) but those are closer to $400 used or on sale. I also didn't get to hear them, so who knows if what people say about them is true. Going this route locks down your speakers and power amp so you can't frivolously upgrade as easily as you otherwise could. And BOY do those events sound good! Go to your local guitar center to hear them.

Otherwise, my two choices are the powerwave for some efficient speakers or a panasonic digital amp like the xr-25/45/50/70 for less efficient speakers. The first two are discontinued. Now keep in mind I haven't heard these, but people I trust say that they are awesome. Many people have compared the powerwave ($100 poweramp) to el-34 amps costing over $1000-2000, and come away not necessarily saying that the powerwave lays down the smack, but that they are shocked at how close the powerwave comes. In some areas, like detail, the powerwave is also clearly more...detailed. This amp has been recommended by multiple horn speaker manufacturers now. They love it with horns. The panasonic amps also share a similar reputation. Some people may recommend cheaper regular analog amps like a cheap rotel, nad, etc...I don't buy it. Not with acoustic material, at least. I haven't heard a cheap normal amp that I liked.

There is an exception to this amp rule I have developed for myself. Some speakers are really amp INdependant. For example, my friend's dad has an old pair of JBL 3 way floorstanders that sound AMAZING. I don't remember the model. I've heard him run it off of all sorts of cheap amps. Currently it's running off an Onkyo receiver. These speakers are great! I would guess that if you were to be able to find these speakers at all on the used market, they would probably go for ~$200-300, but they seriously kick butt especially because they sound good off of cheap amplification. They're open sounding and throw a nice broad soundstage, though it's not the most razor sharp imaging I've heard. The only thing wrong with these speakers is that the 12" woofers use foam surrounds and one of them has torn on my friend's dad's speakers. Oh well, pretty cheap to fix. I think a better amp would probably wake the sleeping bass monster inside the cabinet too, but it already sounds "good enough for me." This option requres you to know what you're doing though. You have to be very familiar with the speakers you're buying.

May 20, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #19 of 26
ooheadsoo, thanks a lot for the long nice reply, the tr5 does look nice, I might get them, or maybe even tr6.

One question these speakers has built-in amp right? so I can run then directly from my sound card? What kind of cable you would recommed to use them.

Also does tr6 worth the $100 over tr5?

I guess I will drive to guitar center some time soon.

May 20, 2004 at 12:43 AM Post #20 of 26
I do NOT like the tr-6. I would add a good subwoofer to the tr-5 any day of the week. Either the woofer they used in the tr-6 is bad or the crossover they made for it is bad. The midrange of the tr-6 is no good, at all, to my ears. Very colored and not transparent. Hear it for yourself!

You could hook them up directly to your computer, but I would recommend you get a preamp of some type. I'm not sure how it would sound directly hooked up. If you need something CHEAP, preamp wise, and you can have VERY short cable runs, like less than 1.5' long, then I would recommend a very cheap passive preamp. I have one that I will eventually put up for sale. Only works if you can use VERY VERY short cable runs though. The shorter the better. With pro monitors, sometimes you can eek by the requirement by bumping up the sensitivity on the amp.

May 20, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #24 of 26
Yes, it's possible. If you have one handy, try it out! You may just have saved yourself some money.

May 20, 2004 at 2:29 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reader
lan, I read your 1820m impression, you think the extra features in 1820m will be useful? And does 1820m sounds any better than 1212m or say "potentially has better quality"? Thanks.

Look for the Panasonic XR25 digital receiver. It's some good stuff on the cheap
biggrin.gif

Usually if you have to ask if the features will be useful then most likely you won't be taking advantage of them. Most people here who just listen to music don't use many of the features of their soundcards.

As for 1820m sounding better than 1212m, well I believe in power conditioning and external DACs so I think it could sound better. I can't say for certain because I believe in trying it and not making a generalized statement.

May 20, 2004 at 2:34 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by aug1516
I thought the EMU 1820 just had lower quality DACs on it's breakout box compared to the 1820m, not to the 1212m. Can anyone clarify that?

1212m and 1820m use the same convertors and is denoted by the "m". the 1820 is the one with lesser convertors.

I wouldn't bother with speakers with amps built in. Using the Panasonic digital amp is just less parts to go wrong especially on a budget. You only need 2 cables, digital optical cable and speaker cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back