M-Audio Revo, Nad C521i, Philips 963SA!?
Jun 28, 2003 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Habib

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Right now I have a D-25S running to MG Head OTL to HD-580. So I am thinking about getting a new source. I am leaning towards the C521i, even though I've heard that a Revo will sound pretty close to a budget cd player. Also the Philips 963 looks like a great player too. So if you have experience with my gear I really would like to hear your comment. Thanks! Btw, I am looking into getting some tubes so dont worry about that. Let's keep this as a source thread.

Jun 28, 2003 at 2:37 PM Post #2 of 20
If you go M-Audio, get the AudiophileUSB not the Revo. The Revo is great for its asking price but the AudiophileUSB pretty much solves the problems with the Revo... i.e. larger power supply, outside of PC, full size connectors etc.

For a full size unit what is your budget? First thing to keep in mind is NEVER buy new unless you have more money than you know what to do with or you can get something deeply discounted. Use AudioGon and if you don't like something you just sell it, nothing lost except shipping costs. The NAD 541i and Philips 963sa both sell for about $300-$350 on AudioGon. If you can swing it my favorite right now if the Arcam CD72T which is $450 on AudioGon. You could also go DAC route if your current PC has optical digital out. Bel Canto DAC1 go for $450, MSB Nelson also $450 or Link III for $300.

Lots of good under $500 choices to be had on AudioGon. If new of the ones you want I'd go Philips or M-Audio AudiophileUSB if you want to have disc management through the player you use on the PC.

Jun 28, 2003 at 3:07 PM Post #3 of 20
521i is probably the best* cd player at the $300 (new) price-point (I love mine), but the $500 (new) Phillips has the added value of SACD with reputedly great DVD video playback. As the other poster said, you can get good deals on a used or refurbished 963sa if you are willing to go that route.

My long term view at this point would be to aim for an SACD/CD player (with or without DVD as you please), depending on what your budget allows.

(*given that there are very few standalone cd players at the entry level)

Jun 29, 2003 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 20
Jun 29, 2003 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 20
I am looking for something under 300 used or new. Doesn't really matter. Of course I am looking to get the most bang for buck. Does it make that much difference to jump to the Nad C541i?

Jun 29, 2003 at 11:49 PM Post #6 of 20
I'd go for the NAD 541I posted at the sight I listed. They are a authorized NAD dealer. You do get a better Burr Brown chips in the 541. At that price , you can't go wrong. I know its a lil above your 300.00 target, but if you want a good rebook player only, thats hard to beat.

Jun 30, 2003 at 2:35 AM Post #7 of 20
I was in a similar situation. I ordered the Revo and jumped on that NAD 541i deal as well ($339 shipped). It's good to know they are a authorized NAD dealer. It comes with a 1 year warranty and the person I spoke with, David, was very helpful and accomodating. I chose the 541i over the 521i because it had a 24 bit Digital to Analogue Converter (521i has 20 bit), a HDCD decoder and I needed an optical out. Good luck with your search.

Jun 30, 2003 at 4:02 PM Post #8 of 20
I guess I am scratching the C521i off my list and replacing it with C541i. But the price between the Nad and the Philips is not much, I am wondering if I am better going for versatility instead? How does the two compare sound quality wise?

Thanks for all your comments!

Jul 1, 2003 at 7:26 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by stark16
I was in a similar situation. I ordered the Revo and jumped on that NAD 541i deal as well ($339 shipped). It's good to know they are a authorized NAD dealer. It comes with a 1 year warranty and the person I spoke with, David, was very helpful and accomodating. I chose the 541i over the 521i because it had a 24 bit Digital to Analogue Converter (521i has 20 bit), a HDCD decoder and I needed an optical out. Good luck with your search.

Does the 541i have a digital output aswell?

EDIT: I checked the NAD homepage... (It has a digital output too.) I wanted to delete the post, but I couldn't... =/

Jul 1, 2003 at 7:42 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by stark16

Have you compared the NAD with your Revo?

-dd3mon

Jul 1, 2003 at 8:12 PM Post #11 of 20
Sadly no. My profile is a bit premature (I got bored last night)...they are currently en route. I'd be more than happy to let you know when I get a chance though.

John

Jul 2, 2003 at 5:17 AM Post #12 of 20
Errr looks like I am gonna miss out on the C541i deal. Yesterday I reported my credit card lost because I thought I lost my wallet. So now I have nothing to make the purchase with. At least I didn't lose my wallet for real... It's kinda of a weird way to force myself to take a break on my wallet
rolleyes.gif

Back to my music...

Jul 2, 2003 at 5:23 PM Post #13 of 20
Jul 9, 2003 at 6:16 PM Post #14 of 20
There's a used C521 on audiogon for 150, what do you think of that?? O, and what is the difference between the i and the non-i models?

Jul 9, 2003 at 8:25 PM Post #15 of 20
Sorry guy to ask a question on top of your question, but hopefully someone can answer both. Mine is: How many outputs does the 541i have? I ask 'cause I might want to have one set of RCAs going to a home headphone amp, and another set of RCAs going to a home integrated amp. This is all a dream, of course, but still important info. THanks in advance and happy headphone listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back