M-Audio Q40 - Where can I get a new cable?
Mar 28, 2009 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

alexjholland

New Head-Fier
I am more than happy with my Q40s - the best headphones I've ever had.

There are only two issues:

- They are so big that unlike my old AKG K181, they are not comfortable to slide round my neck when not being used. Nothing I can do about this, but it's a reasonable price to pay for such great bass.

- The cable is a nightmare - it's far too long, and a very 'sticky' rubber, which makes it tough to slide into my pocket - getting my Zune out of my pocket, past a bundle of this sticky rubber is a complete pain.

Where can I get a shorter, high quality replacement cable?

I'm based in the UK, but will consider shipping from abroad if it's the right product - naturally a higher sound quality cable would be worthwhile.

It's the same cable my AKG uses (at least at one end), so I can't imagine there aren't some more around.

Thanks,

Alex

Mar 28, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 5
From what I see, it's just any cable terminated with a 1/8 jack (which plugs directly into the headphones). It shouldn't be hard to find what you want. Just make your own 3 conductor interconnect. Or shop for a mini to mini interconnect.

Mar 28, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #3 of 5
S2 Audio / Warrior05 on this forum. Ask him.

Mar 28, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #4 of 5
I found that when I bent the headband to loosen up on the clamp, the Q40s were much more comfortable to wear around the neck. I keep them there about 6 hours a day during class, since they are much more obvious then my portapros.
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #5 of 5
Is it the same threading at both ends? You could make it into two cables, a two or three footer for portability and the rest for a longer home cable with a couple 1/8" plugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back