M-Audio Q40 or Ultrasone HFI-580?
Mar 14, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #16 of 37
Thanks for the EQ settings...  you must be running a Realtek sound card too?  Last night I listened to "The Ultimate Demonstration Disc" with those settings.  I tweaked them a bit to my taste, but it was a very helpful starting point. 

I'm thinking at times I'd like a bit more volume...  I've started looking into portable amps.  I'm typically plugged into either my PC, Clip Zip, or TV.  I'm looking at the ZO 2, and FiiO E6, and FiiO E11....  any suggestions?  Does the ZO provide amplification, or would I still need to add an amp to it?

Mar 14, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #17 of 37
With Realtek HD + ZO2.1 I use 15-16% and with ZO2.3 I had to use maybe 18-19% volume... without amp directly to the Realtek onboard chip (ALC889) I'd use around 43~45% volume or so so yea it'll greatly boost the volume. These headphones improve greatly with amping from my experience, especially bass and the dynamic range gets a nice improvement (noticed with both ZO and E5), ampless they sound just clean but not overly exciting (it's like something is missing)... with amp on the other hand... detailed but bassy & fun and everything gets like it would get clearer definition to it, whatever that's midrange, bass or highs, things start jumping out and it starts sounding more exciting due to percieved better dynamic range to my ears. I haven't yet heard a headphone giving such a big improvement by amping in terms of dynamic range yet at least, possibly DT770 Pro.

So yea you should definitely get an amp, even a cheap portable would definitely help, I love the ZO cuz of the precise bass customization and on ZO2.1 I normally use is it lvl7 or 8 (I'm quite a basshead) but it's the level that I feel it doesn't overhelm microdetails (well it's hard to get bass to overhelm the mids & highs no matter what you do to this headhpone) because it's got such a good quality bass response. As for me I feel like I'm bassheaven with Q40 + ZO2 when listening to hardstyle, it sounds just the way it's meant to sound like. :D

OK, those EQ settings I posted earlier what was I use together with ZO which provides quite a bit bass obviously so yea it'd look more like this ampless, it already has plenty of midbass punch to it that even me as a quite spoilt basshead is satisfied with so therefore I'd mostly just give it a subbass boost, ampless the subbass side isn't shown so nicely though which definitely comes alive when amped...

+3 at 31Hz and +2 at 62 etc. if no amp used

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #18 of 37
I put the velour pads on this afternoon.  First, and most noteworthy is the comfort.  I have big ears, so with the stock pads, my ears were pressed.  I'm sure you are aware the replacement pads are deeper, but what you might not know is they also have a slightly larger opening and allow more ear to fit inside.  This is a big plus for me.  Before I go into any affect on the audio, I have to say that my ears are not trained for headphones.  This is a new world for me.  However, I'm finding that my experience in SQ car audio apply.  On high resolution recordings, I noted a wider and improved soundstage.  I used Patricia Barber's The Beat Goes On from Usher Audio Vol 1 to test.  With your run of the mill mp3, I didn't notice any changes in soundstage.  The bottom is still strong and the top still smooth (same as before).  I'm happy with the purchase.  I didn't think of testing for isolation, but from memory it seems the stock pads isolate outside noises a tiny bit better.  

Edit...   I'm skeptical, but I went ahead and ordered the ZO.  

Mar 15, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #19 of 37
Got my Q40 yesterday... and all I can say is Wow.

I'm impressed, really. For everything "pop, clubstep, radio material" I used to prefer my SRH750DJ over the hfi 580's and the Pro900's a little bit; now I prefer the Q40's by a mile over all. The mid/sub bass from these is what I experienced to be the closest to a "quality subwoofer feeling" (amped w/ Fiio E17)... I was looking for this ! While the rest is still nice and clear. I kept smiling here and there while testing these out.
For my musical tastes, I would get rid of my 580's, 518LE and SRH750Dj to keep only the Q40's anyday of the week. They were all meant to be "fun cans" but the fun factor just got raised by these. Plus, I like how they look.  

Classic, jazz, female vocals... I'm still looking for the right mid-budget headphone, but the Hfi's or the Pro900's are still my favs there.

Ok wallet, what's next ?

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #20 of 37
Malv, these headphones seem like a good complement to my hd598s.  Comfort is a real issue so im definately going to buy the beyer pads, but you linked the pads for the dt 770s and dt 990s.  Are they exactly the same?

Mar 15, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #21 of 37

Quote:
Malv, these headphones seem like a good complement to my hd598s.  Comfort is a real issue so im definately going to buy the beyer pads, but you linked the pads for the dt 770s and dt 990s.  Are they exactly the same?

I believe the link to the 990's was in error.  The EDT 770 VS (silver) and the EDT 770 VB (black) fit the Q40's great.  Just yesterday I put on the silver pads from Dale Audio.  Here's the correct link for the black pads

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #22 of 37
Well my 580s have been on backorder for awhile and frankly, I'm getting tired of waiting. So, I'm starting to look at alternatives. The only thing that holds
me back about the Q40s is the size of them. Many reviews that I've read talk about how large they are so I'm worried about fit on my small(ish) head. I don't know the actual size but I wear a XS to S motorcycle helmet. I'm just worried I'll order these and they will end up looking like I'm wearing my dad's headhones or either not fit altogether. Can someone shed some light on this? 

Mar 16, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #23 of 37
I did put on the beyer pads almost right away (and maybe I suck at this, maybe I'm too cautious (didn't want to break something, touch the driver, scratch something, cut the wire...) but I really had a hard time putting these pads on... especially the part that goes in the middle over the driver which is loose that kept bending incorrectly.. arg) and I must say that it was worth all the effort.

They are now very comfortable and the sound only gets better (slightly but I could tell right away). But you can simply focus on the fact that (for my head) they became very comfortable.

For the previous poster... sorry I have a pretty big head (L in Karting helmet) so I couldn't say... but with the clamping force they should stay put. Yet again, I do agree these are pretty large headphones.

Mar 16, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #24 of 37
I really want to try these phones!! Hoping to see the amazon price hit $100, they are $119 right now still. Anyone seen these on sale?

Mar 16, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #25 of 37
Here's something for you M-Audio Q40 owners to try, my tweaked foobar2000 Dolby Headphone config tweaked for this headphone for significantly better soundstage: foobar2000.v1.1.6.Dolby.Headphone.(M-Audio Q40)-RPGWiZaRD

I just love how it sounds like with this config. It's already preconfigured, extract somewhere else if you're already using foobar2000 and open it from there and drag some songs to it for test. 

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #26 of 37
The ZO2 was on my doorstep this morning. Thank you Amazon Prime shipping!  I was so excited to test it, I went back in the house to try it and made myself very late for work.  My first and obvious impression is that it works as advertised delivering incredible rich bass boost.  However, with the Q40, I don't want much more bass.  Level 2 (out of 32) was my preferred setting with no EQing to the input.  Level 1 with EQ.  I was disappointed with it's driving ability.  I want more power!  And, I don't want to carry around a separate amp, so back it goes.  I just printed the return shipping labels.  :frowning2:    I guess I'm more in the market for an amp with some EQ ability. My next step will be a FiiO E17...  if and when I can find one.

Mar 16, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #27 of 37

Quote:
The ZO2 was on my doorstep this morning. Thank you Amazon Prime shipping!  I was so excited to test it, I went back in the house to try it and made myself very late for work.  My first and obvious impression is that it works as advertised delivering incredible rich bass boost.  However, with the Q40, I don't want much more bass.  Level 2 (out of 32) was my preferred setting with no EQing to the input.  Level 1 with EQ.  I was disappointed with it's driving ability.  I want more power!  And, I don't want to carry around a separate amp, so back it goes.  I just printed the return shipping labels.  :frowning2:    I guess I'm more in the market for an amp with some EQ ability. My next step will be a FiiO E17...  if and when I can find one.

What you mean, you want driving ability? O_o I go from 45% volume ampless to 18 - 19% volume with ZO2.3 for similar volume levels. O_o At 35% volume with ZO2.3 I'd probably cause permanent ear-damage listening to that volume for a couple of minutes already.

Did you change the volume level on it? Were you using high gain? In case you're in low gain you go to high gain by first going to the max volume level in low gain (purple LED color) and then hold down the vol+ for like 4-5 secs until it turns pink colored. Be careful with the source volume though, there's a huge difference between low and high gain. Low gain is only meant for LOD use and for IEMs mostly.

Mar 16, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #28 of 37
I was in high gain (pink).  On my PC with the ZO2, I was at 25% volume and wanted more.  Turning it up further caused some ugly distortion.
Ampless, I'm usually around 65%.  However on quieter source material, I have some headroom.  I can go to 100% without much distortion.  I guess I not a bass head, I'm a loud head...  or maybe I already have permanent hearing loss :p   My desktop multimedia speakers have an amplified headphone out.  Plugged into that jack (without the ZO) I can get to what I consider hearing loss volumes without distortion.  That's what I want...  but portable.

Okay, I had the box all taped shut, labeled, and ready to go back...  but I just ripped it open to try the low gain / high volume.  No dice.  Same ugly distortion at what I consider mid level volume.  Maybe I have a defective unit?  

Mar 16, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #29 of 37

Quote:
I was in high gain (pink).  On my PC with the ZO2, I was at 25% volume and wanted more.  Turning it up further caused some ugly distortion.
Ampless, I'm usually around 65%.  However on quieter source material, I have some headroom.  I can go to 100% with much distortion.  I guess I not a bass head, I'm a loud head...  or maybe I already have permanent hearing loss :p   My desktop multimedia speakers have an amplified headphone out.  Plugged into that jack (without the ZO) I can get to what I consider hearing loss volumes without distortion.  That's what I want...  but portable.

Okay, I had the box all taped shut, labeled, and ready to go back...  but I just ripped it open to try the low gain / high volume.  No dice.  Same ugly distortion at what I consider mid level volume.  Maybe I have a defective unit?  

No idea, I've never even went as high as 25% on the ZO2.3 even. You might have needed this ZO2.1 version though as it provides a bit higher gain than ZO2.3, at 15-16% it's roughly as loud as ZO2.3 at 19%. Well I could give this a try... use ZO2.3 and lower the foobar2000 volume so I could test with 25%+ volume (otherwise higher than 20% becomes too loud for my liking). Well maybe we have different Realtek chips, I have ALC889 myself which is pretty good for onboard. 

EDIT: Well I tried with 30% source volume and lowered foobar2000 volume a little and even shortly raised the volume level to check how it behaved with the louder output too and didn't hear any distortion at all. Weird, maybe you got a defect unit... But I sure hope that's not your normal listening volume levels. xD Did you plug it the right way too? The Headphones to the speaker icon output and source to the "musical note" icon output jack?

Here's another thing to try... the M-Audio Q40 have replacable cable... try plugging in with the short mini stereo cable between amp and headphone just in case there's some incompabilities with the Q40 headphone cable with the ZO2 jacks... at least for me the jacks are "sinked" in and doesn't make proper contact with Q40 stock cable for the ZO2s I have but I think that was fixed later on though.

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #30 of 37

Quote:

Really, any of the pads should work. They're all the same size. If I linked the wrong one, my intention was the DT770 pads, the black one, simply for black color preference, you can get any of them. But again, these pads will fit nearly all their models so long as they have circular cups, which is all the DT7/8/9's.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back