M Audio Q40 or Ultrasone 550 for overall sound quality and super bass?
May 12, 2012 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Craigster75

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking for more bass with good overall quality for portable use.  Any feedback is appreciated.  I am also open to other suggestions, even at higher price points if justified based on the improvement in quality.  The quality and depth of bass is important to me, but I don't necessarily want it to overrun the mids and highs.  I listen on an Iphone with standard bit rate files.  I do have a Fiio E11 amp.

May 13, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #2 of 6
The Q40 are comfortable, fairly large, and put out a ton of bass.
I don't consider them "portable, although of course they are "transportable".

Haven't heard the Ultrasone 550's, so I won't make any suggestions there.

To justify a better headphone, IMO you'll do best for yourself to get away from standard bitrate files
and go to at least 320K.  Personally the only files I use are FLAC's and those are what I recommend
(although of course there are plenty of folks who say no human can hear the difference between a 320K
file and a FLAC.  I think otherwise, obviously.)

"Good overall quality for portable use" - you wrote - there are many, many headphones
that fit the description because it's kind of broad.  Can you tighten it up a bit, perhaps
with a price range, music preferences, and some other parameters?  Do you consider
the Q40's and Ultrasone 550's portable, or would you really prefer something smaller?

May 13, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #3 of 6
I used a PRO 550 for almost a year. I loved it but felt it was holding me back somewhere. So I got a PRO 900 and it's just better in every way. The 550s really sound dull compared to them and of course don't have close to the 900's superbass or drums either.

If you're keeping this for the long-term, 900 > 550.

Quote:
To justify a better headphone, IMO you'll do best for yourself to get away from standard bitrate files
and go to at least 320K.  Personally the only files I use are FLAC's and those are what I recommend
(although of course there are plenty of folks who say no human can hear the difference between a 320K
file and a FLAC.  I think otherwise, obviously.)

I think 320k is ok for portable use. From my comparisons, only a little is lost on 320k and it might not be heard on a cheaper ($500ish) portable system. Both flac and 320k sound similar on my home rig with extra goodie bits lost. If flac files are too big for the source, you have no choice in going with mp3. I am thinking of doing it with my portable system too 'cause I am running out of room. 
angry_face.gif

May 13, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #4 of 6
Yes, I agree with the others about the Q40...good bass but they are huge!! For a portable for can consider:

*Beyer dt770

May 13, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the feedback.  I don't mind if the headphones are big on the head for portable use (to use while exercising) as long as they sound great on vocals AND have excellent bass extension and punch.  I have eclectic music tastes- everything from 70's soft rock, female vocals, classic rock, pop, club/dance and even some hip hop (which is why I want the bass).  So I am looking for a good all arounder that excels in bass and vocals.  I am flexible regarding treble since I don't like sibilance or anything shrill.  However, I definitely don't want a headphone that sounds lacking high end or muffled.  I know I am asking alot.  Based on reviews, I'm thinking my dream headphone would be the Ultrasone Signature Pro, but looking for something that won't break the bank.  I am also thinking about waiting for the VModa M100 or Sennheiser Amperior.  In the meantime, I'm wondering if the M Audio Q40 will fit the bill.  I tried the Beyer dt770 and they seemed a little too bright for me with not quite enough bass.

May 13, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #6 of 6
I love Q40 for bass + still sounding very nice in the whole frequency range, the mids and vocals are very reasonable forward despite the boost in bass and FiiO E11 would be a perfect match for this headphone as it needs a bit brighter / aggressiver amp and not an overly warm one. Versus DT770 it's more forward in the mids and less bright (mid and highrange very nicely balanced) with stronger bass (more punch especially).

I think Q40 would fit the bill perfectly soundwise but I wouldn't concider it a portable headphone due to the size but yea the sound should be very fit with E11 amp especially. If you then turn on the bass boost it'll shake your head literally giving you more than enough bass.

I find it a very versatail headphone for some1 craving a significantly boosted bass response as the mids and highs remain very neutral sounding and not lacking at all in this price class. I listen to everything from smooth ballads especially with acoustic instruments which Q40 handle very well to bassy hardstyle (electronica) music and I love how it sounds with all of them.

I have a feeling M100 will be something similar, I'm very anticipated in hearing what that headphone turns out like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back