M-Audio Q40 or Denon D1000/1 or D2000
Aug 6, 2008 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

fuzzylogic76

Head-Fier
Hi,

New to the forum, learning a lot already.

I'm in the market for a good set of cans around $100.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Q40 and the D1000/1.
Does anyone have an opinion comparing the two?
I've read separate reviews on each (warrior05's Q40 was very informative), but never a direct comparison.

Anyone have had both and can tell me what the main differences are?
I listen to all sorts of music and will be using it for producing and mixing primarily electronic music.

Another option is to save a bit and get the D2000.
Are the D2000 that much better than the Q40 to cost more than double?

Any opinion is appreciated.

Aug 6, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #2 of 31
Yes, if you can save a bit get the D2000s. I've had the Q40s, and they are really good, but the D2000s are that much better. Save save save!

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #4 of 31
I can't give you a comparison of the D2000 vs Q40 but I can vouch for the Q40. Got it on Monday and I've been very pleased with it. Bass is right there and should be comparable to the D2000 judging from other user reviews. I use it primarily for movies and so sound detail is important and the Q40 definetly delivers on that aspect. The build is sturdy (Not a fan of flimsy made headphones... ahem Grados, Senns) and its not too heavy. My ears start to get warm after about 1 hour but that's expected with any closed style headphones. Isolation and sound leak is excellent... although certainly no IEM
smily_headphones1.gif

The kicker for me was the price of course... 90 bucks versus 220+ (Buy.com has it at 196 actually) is a no brainer.

Aug 6, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzylogic76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you say the D2000 is better in all aspects? Better SQ across all frequencies? Better soundstage? More comfortable?

The D2000 is better in all aspects except build quality. Comfort is really good and soundstage is very nice.

Aug 6, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 31
Thanks richierich. Even though the D2000 looks great, I can't let myself spend that much on my first pair of nice headphones. On top of that they seem to be sold out at a lot of places, and other places that have them are selling for over $300.

I just pulled the trigger on the Q40 for little under $100 from Amazon.com (didn't trust any eBay sales) plus free shipping I get through my company.

Hope these cans will live up to all the good things I've read about.

Aug 6, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #9 of 31
eek.gif

Aug 6, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntingtheholy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Q40's are pure ownership from hell!

And for less than 100 bucks vs. 300 bucks for the D2000? That D2000 better cook my dinner for me as well.

I have no idea what this post means.
confused_face_2.gif

Aug 7, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are talking pure SQ, I chose the Q40s over my D100x which I sold off after doing a comparison. I don't remember the particulars but do a search and you should find my posting about it.

Awesome, I'm going to take your word for it warrior05. From reading your review, I can tell you know a heck of a lot more than I do about these things.
I'm just getting into the whole hi-end audio stuff, but learning quickly.

Good thing I ordered the Q40 when I did, the price just went up on Amazon.

Aug 7, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #13 of 31
Hopefully you will like them. I turned my business partner onto the D1000s and he loves them. Then I sent him my modified pair of Q40s to try out and now he wants a pair of those. I just think they offer quite the bang for the buck. I didn't comment on the comparison to the D2000s because that really is apples and oranges. The D2000s are a higher end 'phone that are more than twice the price. It isn't a reasonable comparison. Plus, the Q40s are first and foremost monitors unlike the Denons. They have a more colored sound. Like any headphone, it really is hit or miss and totally up to you and your ears what sounds better.

Keep in mind, if you feel too much headclamp - you can bend them open a bit. Just do it a little at a time. There are two metal bands that run inside the headband so you aren't going to break anything. And, as I've said before, aftermarket - a la Beyerdynamic - earpads also improve comfort.

Let us know what you think of 'em!

Aug 7, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzylogic76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@hauntingtheholy

lol, i can only deduce from your username that when you mention "hell" you're referring to it as a good thing!

Ah yes - "from hell" - where all that is good and righteous resides. Your deduction skills rival Holmes, no, Yagami Raito!

Aug 7, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no idea what this post means.
confused_face_2.gif

I thought it was simple enough, but I'll paraphrase: Since I'm not willing to believe the D2000 are even close to three times as good as the Q40 (We're seeing diminishing returns, yes?) if I'm going to pay three times the money they better cook my dinner for me. Or maybe do my laundry. Or Jerk me off.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back