M-Audio Q40 not popular?
Mar 21, 2012 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ztreb185

100+ Head-Fier
Just curious as to why these aren't that popular.  There arent many reviews and these headphones seem like a great bang for your buck, basshead headphone.

Mar 21, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 11

Quote:
Just curious as to why these aren't that popular.  There arent many reviews and these headphones seem like a great bang for your buck, basshead headphone.

They are popular, depending what time of year. They were popular a while back, faded out of discussion, and recently popped back up again. They're not new headphones. But like many headphones, they surface now and again in discussions.

Here's my review.

Very best,

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 11
I'm very interested in listening to them. Only reason I have purchased them is the reputation for heavy clamp force.

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
I'm very interested in listening to them. Only reason I have purchased them is the reputation for heavy clamp force.

Mine are much looser now that I've had them sitting stretched over a monitor for a few days in between use. They loosen up. They're still tight, they still clamp, but they don't have that death grip anymore. And with the velour pads, it's a soft squeeze. Not as comfortable as a Beyer (DT770) in general, but few headphones are. I find it tolerable for a few hours now. But I'm not terribly sensitive to pressure clamping, someone very sensitive may still have problems for longer sessions.

Very best,

Apr 11, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #6 of 11
About the clamp.. the clamp I'd imagine will only be a problem for people wearing glasses. I didn't have any issues whatsoever with the clamp as a non-glasses user. Now as I've gotten used to the clamp, all other headphones feel a bit loose, I actually even LIKE the clamp these days haha as it doesn't introduce any issues and it feels so secure on my head, tried wearing HTF600 and LP2 and they almost felt like they'd fall off my head anytime as they sit so loose. I'm sure as a glasses user I'd think different though. I'm not unusually resistant to clamp or anything, I even had issues with BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro, those clamped my cheekbones too hard so it got fatiguing to wear, with Q40 it doesn't. Also I could only wear AKG K518 DJ headphones for like 15-20 mins tops before I got intense pain in the ears from the clamping, stretching them over night made those headphones wearable for like 1½ hrs though. Still Q40 I haven't stretched at all and I usually wear it daily for many hours a row without any issues.

Apr 11, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #7 of 11
The clamp force on these is not as bad as some people would have you believe. I have a normal/large size head and I wear glasses, and the Q40s were never uncomfortable for me. 

Apr 11, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
Thanks guys that input really matters. So sound wise, Which one do guys prefer?( lp2 or Q40)

To me there's no contest, Q40 winds hands down sound-wise in pretty all aspects (if bass quantity matters, the LP2 might have tiny bit more but in terms of impact the Q40 have more tactile/punchy feedback in the bass though). The only small mod I recommend doing to Q40 to fix its perhaps only slight weakness soundwise out of box would be the drivers sitting very next to your ears due to the shallow pads whereas there's not much room for any great soundstage, either by stuffing something beneath the pads (I just used a half piece of paper towel per side rolled into a tube and stuffed beneath the pads) or replacing the pads with BeyerDynamic DT770 replacement pads the soundstage will be greatly improved but even without that mod I'd still put soundstage about average for a closed headphone, with the mod a bit above average for a closed headphone (I think it has small vents though so it leaks very slight amount of sound but nothing major, if some1 is watching TV in the same room (very small room) he/she won't be disturbed by me listening to music meanwhile).

I find Q40 impressive for its price surpassing the price point and LP2 not nearly living up to its price tag soundwise.

Apr 11, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks RPG wizard, Your making me really consider getting these Q 40's. I apologize, but I have another question, since they win sound wise. Are they durable and should i be worried about the cord on the Q 40's?

Apr 11, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #11 of 11
Their build quality is about on the same level as the KRK KNS headphones ie. decent and practical, but nothing to write home about. They are made out of cheapish plastic that seems durable enough. They have a serious design flaw with how the thin headband cable constantly gets caught in the yokes. It is easy to damage this cable. The proper chord itself is replaceable so if it does break, it is easy to fix. Mine never broke but I have read a quite a few forum posts where people complained that their cable broke.
I'd give their durability a 6/10. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back