M-Audio Q40 Loose Drivers Rattling
Nov 13, 2012 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

HC808

New Head-Fier
Hello.

I just got these in on Friday and the drivers seem to be loose inside the cups.  Give it a light shake and both speakers rattle inside the cups and the left side rattles more than the right side so that made me think that it isn't supposed to be like that. 

I tried contacting their tech support to find out if they are all made this way on purpose (40 minutes on hold) and their tech said they were just acquired by another company so they had no clue that a Q40 even existed.  He suggested that I call their parent company (inMusic) and ask to return them. 

The thing is that they sound good to me, and I actually opened up the cups and duct taped the drivers to stop them from rattling.  I've seen pictures of others Q40's on here and they didn't seem to have glue or anything on their drivers either to secure them to the cups. 

I'm just on the fence now about removing the duct tape and trying to send them back or just keeping them, especially since I just ordered Beyer DT770 pads.  I don't really have any experience with other headphones either so I don't have anything to compare this issue against.

tl;dr  Does anyone else have experience with loose drivers?

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
Wait really? That sucks because mine have been rattling on the left since I bought them. I thought it was normal...

I got a replacement on the way and will update this when they come in.  Customer service is terrible though, they made me pay my own shipping to RMA the rattling set.  3 different customer service reps emailed me 3 different RMA addresses too so hopefully it all works out.

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 10
Mine are also like that but I suspect it's supposed to be like it unless it's been glued and that has worn off or something. I have never found it bothersome so haven't worried about it. The only times I get to move the drivers are when shaking them heavily, on my head I can still usually bob my head quite a lot and don't have any issues, only shaking my head very quickly left&right will produce a little sound as they move around.

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #9 of 10
Just wanted to update this because the right driver died on me this Saturday.  I guess warranty is 1 year so looks like these are going to go in the trash.  Took it apart and all the soldering looks good, cleaned all metal contacts with rubbing alcohol and still no luck.

My experience with this company has been pretty negative.  The first set I had to RMA and they make me pay my own shipping for their defective product, and now the right side just stopped working altogether.  frustrated.

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #10 of 10
  Just wanted to update this because the right driver died on me this Saturday.  I guess warranty is 1 year so looks like these are going to go in the trash.  Took it apart and all the soldering looks good, cleaned all metal contacts with rubbing alcohol and still no luck.

My experience with this company has been pretty negative.  The first set I had to RMA and they make me pay my own shipping for their defective product, and now the right side just stopped working altogether.  frustrated.

My driver blew or shook from it's housing in minutes. Was the last Q40 sold directly from Amazon.jp. They (Amazon.jp) took care of me. M-Audio screwed me and ignored me. The folks that rec this can and say yeah they may have a few QC issues are delusional. I saw a pair in the For Sale section 2 weeks ago 

Nice rubber band holding it together.
frown.gif

Epic P.O.S

Not worth 20 bucks if the driver is gonna rattle loose/dissolve, little wires gonna pull out, proprietary cord gonna lose a channel...

Worst company /hardware experience ever. 

You're not alone....not even close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back