M-Audio HDH50 - the successor to the popular Q40
Dec 22, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #63 of 112
 So when connected, it shouldn't turn right to left? The plug when inserted isn't loose, just the locking mechanism on both ear cups and with both cables. 

You have to be able to rotate it to lock and unlock but there shouldn't be anything loose

I guess mine are defective because they never lock into place. They rotate if I'm moving around.

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #64 of 112

What is broken?

The membrane is all wrinkled and most certainly does not connect properly to the coil anymore.
How this happened? For some reason the right speaker was not as loud as the right one so I tried to push it tight on my ear a few times and I felt a suction feeling on my head (I'm bald btw).
I think this might have happened because I opened the two vent for the bass mod but I''m not sure.
In the mean time I contacted the online store where I bought theme and because it's Christmas and all they'll reply after the holidays.... crap!
But they might fix them using the warranty period... at least I hope so but I'm not that confident since it was my fault for braking the speaker.

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #65 of 112
Man, I had no idea these existed. I had to buy a pair of dt-770's because the q40's were just so uncomfortable. I love my 770's but I really miss that thumping bass of the q40's. The high end was a little muddy, is that any better on the hdh50?

Jan 19, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #67 of 112
  Man, I had no idea these existed. I had to buy a pair of dt-770's because the q40's were just so uncomfortable. I love my 770's but I really miss that thumping bass of the q40's. The high end was a little muddy, is that any better on the hdh50?

You won't get muddy highs, but these are studio-monitor type cans, you won't get thumping bass out of them like Q40.

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #68 of 112
New to the forum and the headphone scene.  I've previously had limited experience with Bose OE phones that were my son's.  I've been reading the forums and reviews for a few days as I've awaited delivery of my M-Audio HDH50's.  I was piling up AmEx points and decided I wanted headphones to listen to music (all kinds) without distraction of sounds around me... so dropped some points to get me some nice headphones, the HDH50's. I also ordered an E10K DAC/Amp.  I do have a digital collection of a few thousand songs but one thing I did this week was set up an account with Additech and downloaded my first Flac file album - The Remixes by Cheshire. I thought there was some good diveristy of sounds and clean production in the album to test these phones.  The result, quite amazing.

While my E10K still is not here I can say I'm very please with what I'm getting out of my computer just with the headphones.  My attraction to these phones?  Solid, life-long construction and clean balanced sound from a respected brand.  I wish this forum would let me post photos... for some reason I can't.  While I know 'thumping bass' is what many want from headphones, which is not how these phones are charecterized, I'm suprised how limited the reviews of this product are.  I'm quite pleased with the purchase.  The sound is so clean and separated.  The fit is so comfortable... and until getting these I had only seen plastic headphones... the construction of these are almost entirely metal and leather, quite impressive for the price range.  What was very strange is that a leading web vendor had these priced around MSRP.  I wrote a quick review this morning, went to the page and the price dropped $100 from the last week, even last night... insanely reasonable for what you get.  Not sure if the website has selective pricing to me or whether the reduction is visible to all.  Anyway, I've not been corrupted by Thumping Base headphones or maybe I'd be disappointed... but can tell you I'm really enjoying the sound coming out of these things.

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #69 of 112
  New to the forum and the headphone scene.  I've previously had limited experience with Bose OE phones that were my son's.  I've been reading the forums and reviews for a few days as I've awaited delivery of my M-Audio HDH50's.  I was piling up AmEx points and decided I wanted headphones to listen to music (all kinds) without distraction of sounds around me... so dropped some points to get me some nice headphones, the HDH50's. I also ordered an E10K DAC/Amp.  I do have a digital collection of a few thousand songs but one thing I did this week was set up an account with Additech and downloaded my first Flac file album - The Remixes by Cheshire. I thought there was some good diveristy of sounds and clean production in the album to test these phones.  The result, quite amazing.

While my E10K still is not here I can say I'm very please with what I'm getting out of my computer just with the headphones.  My attraction to these phones?  Solid, life-long construction and clean balanced sound from a respected brand.  I wish this forum would let me post photos... for some reason I can't.  While I know 'thumping bass' is what many want from headphones, which is not how these phones are charecterized, I'm suprised how limited the reviews of this product are.  I'm quite pleased with the purchase.  The sound is so clean and separated.  The fit is so comfortable... and until getting these I had only seen plastic headphones... the construction of these are almost entirely metal and leather, quite impressive for the price range.  What was very strange is that a leading web vendor had these priced around MSRP.  I wrote a quick review this morning, went to the page and the price dropped $100 from the last week, even last night... insanely reasonable for what you get.  Not sure if the website has selective pricing to me or whether the reduction is visible to all.  Anyway, I've not been corrupted by Thumping Base headphones or maybe I'd be disappointed... but can tell you I'm really enjoying the sound coming out of these things.

I'm a basshead and modded these then un modded them as they are very very nice studio cans. I listened to mine last night to set my closed/rock eq.

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #70 of 112
Mar 15, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #71 of 112
That Denon version looks sweet.

May 16, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #74 of 112
Sounds like they clamp lightly, or average?  Unlike most, I prefer solid clamping so they don't fall off my head.  If I take the Fostex T50RP's for example, I actually bent the headband for a more solid clamp which I would say....is 8 out of 10.  What would you give these?

May 16, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #75 of 112
  Sounds like they clamp lightly, or average?  Unlike most, I prefer solid clamping so they don't fall off my head.  If I take the Fostex T50RP's for example, I actually bent the headband for a more solid clamp which I would say....is 8 out of 10.  What would you give these?

I'd give them an 8 as anything more would be uncomfortable. They are made for studio monitoring and head movement that goes with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back