M-Audio HDH50 - the successor to the popular Q40
Jun 24, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #31 of 112
Well, they shall sit in the box being well protected whenever someone wants to buy them. 

Jul 23, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #32 of 112
Thread on this gem is dead now huh?

I've been comparing Sennheiser's new HD6 to the HDH50, and I like HDH50's less colored sound a little better. HD6 competes closely when using its velour pads instead of the pleather ones (it has both), and I find HDH50's bass and treble noticeably less colored, and overall balance is more linear-like. HD6 has the advantage in soundstaging - it is more precise and spacious. Unfortunately for the HD6, its headband sucks, the cushion is too thin and it ends up digging into one's scalp, exceptions would probably be people with plenty of hair on their head; while HDH50 is always very, very comfortable.

Now I'm having second thoughts about keeping HD6. HD8 is a little better already, though it has stronger bass and treble than 6, its sonic character is extremely similar. And for a can trying to be more balanced in FR, HDH50 beats HD6 without a doubt.
Well, we'll see when "new toy syndrome" wears off, lol.

Jul 23, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #33 of 112
This has been strange to me. A successor to one of the most popular headphones on Head Fi with seemingly zero buzz.

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #34 of 112
Well I lost interest since I saw Tyll's measurement of the Akai MPC (the same as the HDH50): http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AkaiMPC.pdf

It's extremely balanced for its price and being closed though. But I need my bass boost. :p

While I'm not the target consumer, people who are seeking a neutral response in a closed headphone in a suprisingly cheap price bucket should give it a go though. While it's good to see such nicely balanced closed headphone at such price I still feel like they robbed Q40's signature mark, the wonderful bass response.

Jul 23, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #35 of 112
  Well I lost interest since I saw Tyll's measurement of the Akai MPC (the same as the HDH50): http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AkaiMPC.pdf

It's extremely balanced for its price and being closed though. But I need my bass boost. :p

While I'm not the target consumer, people who are seeking a neutral response in a closed headphone in a suprisingly cheap price bucket should give it a go though. While it's good to see such nicely balanced closed headphone at such price I still feel like they robbed Q40's signature mark, the wonderful bass response.

Thanks for sharing that graph.  Sound matches that and I agree they could have pumped the low end up a bit.  With amping and bass boost they are quite capable but................

Jul 23, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #36 of 112
I think we're well past the point in which relating HDH50 to Q40 and bass boost is absolutely irrelevant. This isn't Q40's successor at all. Oregonian and Hawaiiboy point out that bass boost alone don't cut it to begin with if you this to be something like Q40.

Nov 22, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #37 of 112
Got mine today but I'm not really happy with the sound.
It's my first pair of hifi headphones but they're I'm not new to music.
My problem is that the have almost no bass presence! I'm usually listening to electronic music: techno, trance, dnb.
They sound really different from my monitors, M-Audio Studiophile DX4 which sound great by the way.
Since they are monitor headphones, shouldn't they sound similar to the studio monitors?

Currently I've connected them to my laptop and to the monitors and the sound is the same... really lacking bass in the 55-110Hz.
I know they're supposed to be neutral in sound but this means it should reproduce accurately all the sounds including the ones in the lower part of the spectrum.
Maybe I'm missing something... do I need to by some kind of an amp or something? Or this is just the way they sound and apparently I'm stuck with them cause the store where I bought them don't really have an alternative at this price range.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Nov 22, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #38 of 112
Do you have room treatment and/or equalization to give your DX4 a flat(-ish) response?

Nov 23, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #40 of 112
HDH50 is supposed to more or less imitate treated speakers.

Both should sound more flat if you want to be mixing and all.  If you just want to enjoy music and movies and what not in greater definition, monitors are not a bad choice but may at times lack extra bass for those who like that depending on the situation.  Well-done electronic music, among other kinds, is made on "flat" monitors, you know, so HDH50 gives you a relative idea of how the original producer probably hears his mixes in his own studio.

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #41 of 112
  HDH50 is supposed to more or less imitate treated speakers.

Both should sound more flat if you want to be mixing and all.  If you just want to enjoy music and movies and what not in greater definition, monitors are not a bad choice but may at times lack extra bass for those who like that depending on the situation.  Well-done electronic music, among other kinds, is made on "flat" monitors, you know, so HDH50 gives you a relative idea of how the original producer probably hears his mixes in his own studio.

I see... thanks for the info!
I was trying to hit 2 birds with the same stone... I want to enjoy music and I also play around in Reason 5 from time to time... trying to keep alive an old hobby!
So I'll definitely use the headphones in flat mode without eq when making music and turning on the bass in the eq when listening to music.
I just wanted to make sure that this is the way the HDH50 should sound and thanks again for confirming this.
Btw, what would be a great pair of hifi headphone just for enjoying music?

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #42 of 112
  Got mine today but I'm not really happy with the sound.
It's my first pair of hifi headphones but they're I'm not new to music.
My problem is that the have almost no bass presence! I'm usually listening to electronic music: techno, trance, dnb.
They sound really different from my monitors, M-Audio Studiophile DX4 which sound great by the way.
Since they are monitor headphones, shouldn't they sound similar to the studio monitors?

Currently I've connected them to my laptop and to the monitors and the sound is the same... really lacking bass in the 55-110Hz.
I know they're supposed to be neutral in sound but this means it should reproduce accurately all the sounds including the ones in the lower part of the spectrum.
Maybe I'm missing something... do I need to by some kind of an amp or something? Or this is just the way they sound and apparently I'm stuck with them cause the store where I bought them don't really have an alternative at this price range.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

I think it's early on in the thread but there's a bit of a bass mod you can do to these that does help bring out the bass a bit. 

I did it to mine and it did help - not Q40 level or Denon bass but definitely better than stock. 

Nov 24, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #43 of 112
Btw, what would be a great pair of hifi headphone just for enjoying music?

Now this is best directed at the rest of head-fi in the recommendation forum or something.  There are a lot of choices.  Have fun!

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #44 of 112

I think it's early on in the thread but there's a bit of a bass mod you can do to these that does help bring out the bass a bit. 

I did it to mine and it did help - not Q40 level or Denon bass but definitely better than stock. 

Is this the mod you did to make them sound better: http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/lightbox/post/10574121/id/1113748 ??
An is there a way to gently remove the ear cushions without ruining them?

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #45 of 112

Users who are viewing this thread

Back