M-Audio Firewire Audiophile Review
Oct 4, 2005 at 11:12 AM Post #16 of 20
I read a review of the audiophile fw here. In this review they had certain issues with connection to the iBook after waking up after sleep:
Quote:

Whenever my iBook went to sleep a valid connection to the Audiophile was naturally lost, but it was not re-established on waking up. The only way of doing so was to restart the machine (turning the Audiophile on and off was not enough, nor was disconnecting and reconnecting the Firewire cable).

I'd be happy if owners could confirm if this issue has been fixed in the latest driver updates (The official changelog doesn't say anything about it), or if the problem is still there. I'm considering the Waveterminal U24 as an alternative because of this issue.

edit; fixed the url

Oct 5, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by esp1
I read a review of the audiophile fw here. In this review they had certain issues with connection to the iBook after waking up after sleep:
I'd be happy if owners could confirm if this issue has been fixed in the latest driver updates (The official changelog doesn't say anything about it), or if the problem is still there. I'm considering the Waveterminal U24 as an alternative because of this issue.

edit; fixed the url

Yes, the Audiophile was not meant to be turned off and back on without restarting the computer. They will not detect each other when you turn the Audiophile back on. As for the sleeping thing, I don't put my computer to sleep, so I've never had that problem.

EDIT: This may make the Audiophile a bad choice for laptop users.

Aug 15, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #18 of 20
By the way, I tried it and the FW Audiophile cannot be used as a standalone amp. It does not function unless it's synced with a computer.

I also found the Audiophile quite a bit lacking when I compared it to my Corda Aria. But that's a good thing when you upgrade.
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #19 of 20
Thanks for the review.

Regarding Firewire vs. USB, since music at 96K or less (CD is 44K) doesn't require bandwidth higher than USB 1.0, the question of which protocol supports the higher bandwidth is moot.

The ideal solution would be to use an asynchronous transfer mode between the computer and external sound device, but no device that I'm aware of supports asynchronous I/O.

So that leaves the isochronous driver and hardware implementation, and I think M-Audio has done a pretty good job on the USB side with this. That being said, I haven't personally compared the Firewire model to the USB model, so I can't comment on which sounds better, I just know the USB version sounds awfully good (better than a few internal sound cards I've tried).

By the way, for the author (or other people using an M-Audio Audiophile USB or Firewire), you are in for a treat when you attach it to a decent external DAC, because their built-in DAC definitely leaves something to be desired in comparison to a Benchmark DAC1 or Lavry DA10.

Sep 21, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #20 of 20
Hi guys..

A friend of mine just gave me his firewire audiophile 2496..
I was thinking of buying a sennheiser 25, will the m-audio work fine with the headphones??
Or do i need to amp the head phones? its 75 ohm as i know.

http://www.jr.com/sennheiser/pe/SEN_HD251II/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back