M-Audio Audiophile DX4 speakers for $80- Good deal?
Jun 2, 2009 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

LingLing1337

CAUTION INCOMPLETE TRADES
So I noticed a pair of M-Audio DX4 studio speakers collecting dust at a friend's house today, and asked if I could take them off of his hands. We ended up at $80 as a fair price. What does head-fi think? I have no speaker experience, and I'm looking for something for nearfield listening through my TC7520 DAC or straight through my JVC FS1000 CDP. At the price, should I jump on them? Thanks.

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^Have you ever heard them?

Yes I have them! For $80, it's a steal. + they're probably alreadly burned in = even bigger plus. They're great speakers for the price at retail and for $80 = steal. Does benefit from an additional sub but they can produce nice bass without one too. Detail wise a bit lean. Excels in the treble. They don't have grills however so you got to be real careful you don't damage the tweeters.
These, as with real speakers, benefit a lot from proper positioning in both height and width. I took me a good half hour to get it exactly right!
They need about a good 5-10 minutes to warm up though imo. Quite quick speakers imo.

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #7 of 15
ask your friend if you can take them home for an audition b4 purchase....check the connectors and the rubber around the drivers....if all is good then snatch it up

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to have these. $80 is a good price, but odds are you'll get cheesed off with their lack of bass and detail after a little while...

Bass opens up with burn-in tbh. Sure, no sub-bass but quantity wise, it opens up with burn-in.

Jun 3, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #9 of 15
My CDP has a subwoofer-out, so that shouldn't be a problem if I really need a subwoofer in the future. I'll be sure to audition them before. Kiwi, would you say that they're good for rock-type genres? I don't really need a super-high-quality speaker setup, just something that sounds nice for my bedroom.

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #11 of 15
Hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but the tweeters are completely pushed in on these speakers (I'm demoing them now). I've got the screws off of the tweeter housing, but I can't take them out? I tried going around with a small flathead screwdriver but I don't want to damage them as I haven't paid for them yet...

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #12 of 15
confucious say .... all that glitters is not gold

Sep 21, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bergman2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confucious say .... all that glitters is not gold

I don't get it.

Anyway, since the tweeters are pushed in I'm thinking of offering ~$40.

Sep 21, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #15 of 15
Meh...I wouldnt bother. If they were in good shape, yes 80$ is great, but I wouldnt do anything more than pick them up from Goodwill for 20 bucks if the tweeters are pushed in on both speakers. A small dent on the woofer is ok, but pushed in tweeter is a No-no in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back