M-Audio Audiophile 192 vs. ESI Juli@
Mar 29, 2007 at 10:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

cage85

New Head-Fier
yesterday i got an ESI Juli@... but it's been a real pain to get working, it must be a dud. I don't want to get into the issues i've been having with it - there are so many, and i've tried everything to no avail.

well anyway, i'm going to exchange this card with either a new Juli@, or perhaps even the M-Audio Audiophile 192. can the latter do bit-perfect out? and are the drivers stable? between these cards, which one do you guys recommend?

EDIT: i've also read that the Audiophile 192 has a greater dynamic range than the Juli@. does this apply to the digital outputs as well?

Mar 29, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 23
I installed a Juli@ on a Core2Duo XP a few months ago. The installation was very simple and smooth. No problems with operation through DirectSound or ASIO with J. River Media Center 12. So if you get a board that isn't defective, you should have a good experience.

Bill

Mar 29, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt the ESI Juli@ can compete against the Audiophile 192, which is what I am using right now. It's got a ton of features.

so i'm guessing that it can do bit-perfect? if so, i'll get it. i like the fact that you don't need to use a breakout cable if you're only using spdif out.

Mar 30, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

I doubt the ESI Juli@ can compete against the Audiophile 192, which is what I am using right now. It's got a ton of features.

Please elaborate. They're pretty much in the same price class so how's Audiophile 192 on a higher level than Juli@?

Mar 30, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

I am all ears..Why is the 192 better?

Apr 1, 2007 at 11:55 AM Post #8 of 23
I have two Juli@ working. Installation was faultless for both, and so is usage.......The same cannot be said for other cards I've used and I found them superior to Emu card that is now relegated to my least-used setup - and I'd do something about selling it, if I felt it were worth the effort. You have to spend quite a bit more money to surpass the Juli@ ............for just music listening it becomes irrational to jump up to Lynx or one of its' competitors. Then, you are better off visiting standalone "DAC-land".

Apr 2, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have two Juli@ working. Installation was faultless for both, and so is usage.......The same cannot be said for other cards I've used and I found them superior to Emu card that is now relegated to my least-used setup - and I'd do something about selling it, if I felt it were worth the effort. You have to spend quite a bit more money to surpass the Juli@ ............for just music listening it becomes irrational to jump up to Lynx or one of its' competitors. Then, you are better off visiting standalone "DAC-land".

thanks for the input, but i've already sent the Juli@ back. it was definitely a dud.

i'm still interested to know of peoples impressions regarding Juli@ vs. Audiophile 192. keep in mind that i'll only be using digital out (except for analog in when recording). my understanding is that the Audiophile 192 has extremely solid drivers, which is always good. and i'm assuming that it is capable of bit-perfect output considering that it doesn't resample. am i right?

Apr 2, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #10 of 23
I have an Audiophile 2496. The driver is awesome. It's the same as what the 192 uses. Not only is it rocksolid, the software control panel is great and really easy to work with. It has many functions, but everything is so straightforward yet complete.

My 2496 doesn't resample, it just switches to another multiplier when you switch from 44.1 kHz to 48 kHz for example. Of course, that doesn't work for unusual samplerates such as 34565 Hz so I assume it resamples in such a case.

Oh yeah, Asio support is good too if you want it. Not that you need it, because DirectX is exactly the same. I tried that with Asio and DirectX plugins both on Winamp and Foobar and all four sounded exactly the same. That's another subject though. I hope my input is useful.

Apr 3, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #11 of 23
I can only compare juli@ vs m-audio audiophile 2496 usb and revolution 5.1 and there was no comparison, juli@ was far superior. The juli@ sounded natural and musical while the m-audio cards were thin and artificial.

Apr 3, 2007 at 11:35 AM Post #12 of 23
May 24, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #14 of 23
Is this ESI-Juli@ capable of sending bit-perfect audio from example WMP11 and Windows Media Center, or just applications that somehow can be configure to use ASIO or something?

May 24, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #15 of 23
I don't think anything is capable of sending bit-perfect from WMP, as it automatically goes through windows mixer. I could be wrong, never felt the need to research WMP
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back