M^3 with 8065 op-amps, Little Dot MK IV, Darkvoivce 336i, HELP!
Feb 22, 2008 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Grey Massacre

500+ Head-Fier
Hello!

I currently own a Mister X built M^3 with bass boost and 8065 op-amps in all sockets. I am mainly listening to Darth's with this amp, those op-amps are said to be fast and details revealing, I like the M^3 and I would like to push a little bit further.

Now I am wondering if anyone could compare the M^3 the Little Dot MK IV? I think I would be interested in keeping the SS path but I am also considering the Darkvoice 336i.

Any input would be great, constructive or not.

Thanks,

Charles

Feb 22, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #2 of 8
Try different op-amp combinations with that M^3 before you trade it in for another amp. I recently got my third M^3 in as many years (this one a Rockhopper with variable bass boost and external STEPS) and I've been doing a lot of op-amp rolling. I tried the AD8065's as well and found them very fast and revealing yet kind of thin and hollow sounding, and very fatiguing on the ears. I think I've settled on OPA637BP's in L/R and OPA627 in ground. Very detailed and fast also, but with more body and weight to the music. I've also tried LT1122's, AD8610's, TH4631's, and OPA627's. All of them sound real good, but it seems like there are trade-offs with each configuration of op-amps. The 637's seem to mate very well with HD600's, not sure how they'd be with Darths. I don't think you could get a better solid state amp without paying over a grand. I've owned an HR-2 and heard a friend's GS-1, I wouldn't say either was definitively better, just different.

Feb 22, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try 743s or 843s.

In all positions: L/R and G? From what I understand some op-amps cannot be paired together or whatsoever. If possible would you describe the sonic particularities of those?

Thanks,

Charles

Feb 22, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Massacre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks your your comments! Where would you suggest me to look for buying those OPA637BP/OPA627 op-amps?

Charles

I recently got 2 OPA637BP's on ebay for $22, which is pretty reasonable. Cheapest price on there now is $28.99 for a pair. My amp came with OPA627AP's installed, so I didn't have to buy any. I would suggest putting a WTB in the sales forum (cables,access,and tweaks section).

Feb 23, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #8 of 8
Okay, I will roll the op-amps in my M^3 for now.

I will go with OPA637BP in the L/R sockets and OPA627BP in the ground. I will post my impression when those arrive!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks guys,

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back