M³ amplifier build discussions thread
Apr 5, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #256 of 828
A volume control spans from maximum gain to zero volume. A gain control spans from maximum gain to unity gain. Most of the range of a volume control is below unity gain, so a gain control is no substitute.

Apr 5, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #257 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by morsel
A volume control spans from maximum gain to zero volume. A gain control spans from maximum gain to unity gain. Most of the range of a volume control is below unity gain, so a gain control is no substitute.

This being the case, what is it exactly that psAudio is doing with their "Gain control" amplifiers?

Apr 5, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #258 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb
Super-Gonzo, the variable-gain method as described on my site does not allow you to completely mute the audio...

AMB, given a variable gain with a wide range, say 2-17 as mentioned on your site, what capacity caps would you reccomend for C1L and C1R (given the default ad8610 opamp)?

Apr 5, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #260 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by Super-Gonzo
AMB, given a variable gain with a wide range, say 2-17 as mentioned on your site, what capacity caps would you reccomend for C1L and C1R (given the default ad8610 opamp)?

You can use the default of 33pF, or to be extra conservative, go to 47pF. The latter will ensure that the square wave response to be ring-free, at the expense of slightly reduced bandwidth (but will still be far beyond the audio spectrum).

Quote:

This being the case, what is it exactly that psAudio is doing with their "Gain control" amplifiers?

Without seeing a schematic diagram I don't know. Their marketing blurb on the "Gain Cell" is pure hogwash, because there is no way to program the gain of an amplifier without varying some sort of resistance.

Apr 6, 2005 at 9:29 AM Post #262 of 828
gotten most of my M³ done. a minor pita was the fact that i could only get 3w resistors locally (didnt want to risk 1w), theyre bigger then the board gives space for and the ceramic caps i got were a bit bigger then the board has space for. a minor annoyance forsaking only neatness
wink.gif
you can see here

but here's where my M³ is up to atm:
mmm3.jpg

just waiting on some self tapping screws, panduit crimper, and pcb jumpers, all to be brought home by housemate from work, before i get stuck in to setting the thing up
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #265 of 828
P = IV = I²R = V²/R

for R=1, P = I² = V²

That makes it easy to calculate power dissipated by the output resistor.

You can get away with 1W output resistors if you are using high impedance or high efficiency headphones, but I would not want to limit my amp that way.

edit: 1W is OK for most headphones, but it is nice to have some headroom. To keep the resistor at a reasonable temperature it should be running at no more than 1/2 rated power.

Apr 6, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #266 of 828
morsel: theyre bipolars and theyre temporary until the proper caps arrive in a week or so
wink.gif
for 20c each its no skin off my noce
etysmile.gif

Apr 7, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #269 of 828
Nice... where did you get the case?

Apr 7, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #270 of 828
lol.... That case was a adventure to say the least.
It came from Ebay.
It was like $50 and shipping from Thailand was also $50.
frown.gif

(the same case retails for like $170 here in the US)
But there was a major catch.
It was 16" long when I got it so I busted out the Dremel and cut the top in half.
biggrin.gif

case.JPG

I think the results were worth the effort.
action.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back