M³ + σ22 = awesome?
Jan 3, 2011 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

elrom

New Head-Fier
So looks like I'm going to take on building an M³. I've had the the "crazy" idea of dropping the rail splitter and feeding it the dual rails from the σ22. Has anyone done / heard of anyone doing this? Any thought on whether this will work well?

Thanks.

~elrom

oh and as an fyi, in case anyone is curious. I would like to do this so that I end up with a good power supply I can carry into future projects. (CK²III ? :D )

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #2 of 22
I recall reading about something like this before, and that it was not recommended. Can't remember the details and I certainly don't understand the finer points about the circuit's design. You might want to try asking in the DIY forum instead, or perhaps a mod will kindly move this thread there.

ps Nice choice on building the M³. I'm absolutely loving mine with the σ11, γ2 DAC and HD650s.

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 22
Well, after many years of experience with the M³  ... I'd say beta22 + sigma22 is awsome
k701smile.gif

Really like it with the AKG K701 (702 should be the same) and Beyer T1.

If you want to use the sigma22 then the beta22 is really worth consideration, esp. if you are not into low Z cans (like Grados or Audio-Technica woodies).

Jan 3, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #6 of 22

Quote:
I assume the M3 without a rail splitter and driven via Sigma22 should be quite good, and I'd like to see impressions of a true dual-rail supply vs rail splitter in this amp, should be fun. :)

That's what I'm thinking. I'm sure this isn't a new idea. Maybe I can ask Ti Kan or post it on the amb forums.

Jan 3, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 22
i did some digging over at the amb forums and it looks like there have been some forays into m3 + s22 combos. However, those were specifically for the balanced variety.

Jan 4, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #8 of 22
For anyone else following this thread, I just saw AMB's reply over at his forum:
http://www.amb.org/forum/m3-headphone-amplifier-f15/m3-s22-active-ground-t792.html

Basically there is no benefit to bypassing the rail splitter and swapping the σ11 with a σ22. But there is also no harm.

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #10 of 22
amb doesn't think there would be much of an improvement either...

the real benefit for my wallet would be if I reused the sigma22 for the ck2 or the beta22...

Jan 5, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #11 of 22
The other question you have to ask yourself is what happens to the M3 when it gets succeeded?

If you plan on letting someone barrow it... or setting it up at a different place (work?) or selling it, you'll need to have a matching power supply.

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #12 of 22
excellent point null...

i could mate it with the s11... a bunch of people have suggested that...

hmm, i should probably start ordering parts, atleast for the m3

Jan 7, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #15 of 22
It's this one actually:
http://www.tangentsoft.net/elec/teps/

It was eventually replaced by the TREAD, and the YJPS that you linked to. Unfortunately none of the above are available from Tangent as kits or PCBs anymore. You can still wire or etch your own board with his schematics I suppose.

And of course there's also AMB's σ25, which I think should perform at a similar level as the TREAD / STEPS. But the σ11 is probably the best choice unless you're looking to build a supply on a tighter budget. Probably not since you were looking at the σ22 to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back