LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 21, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #4,981 of 5,225
I just read the A5 thread and I'm not sold. I'm going to stick with the A4 and see how I like them.

No longer the new kid in town but it's a good one. Plus you get more than enough sound profiles to not get bored quick.

You're gonna be good for a while.

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #4,984 of 5,225
First impressions (not burned it yet)...
Soundstage is awesome.
I used the largest tips and got an ok seal. I'm hoping they will work, but may have to buy some bigger tips.
Using the red backs and black fronts, I'm happy with these. I'm hoping the bass will open up a bit after break-in (I had the bass knob on my IE8 on max). If it doesn't, I imagine I will still be ok considering what I spent.

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #4,985 of 5,225
Soundstage is awesome.
I used the largest tips and got an ok seal. I'm hoping they will work, but may have to buy some bigger tips.
Using the red backs and black fronts, I'm happy with these. I'm hoping the bass will open up a bit after break-in (I had the bass knob on my IE8 on max). If it doesn't, I imagine I will still be ok considering what I spent.

I own IE80 and trust me A4 is a very solid upgrade over them. And IE8 is worse than IE80. 80 has a bigger mid bass hump but bass on A4 has better texture, is punchier, recovers faster.. It's just better.

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #4,986 of 5,225
Soundstage is awesome.

If you're not happy with Red back just know you can go NO BACK filter. I'm not a basshead but even I love crazy bass every once in a while.

I didn't like the black nozzle on front at first and enjoyed the Gray filter's treble more so feel free to give that a try too.

Jan 21, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #4,987 of 5,225
Soundstage is awesome.
Congratulations ,
after burn-in/break-in the bass will tame a bit but will become more solid, tight and impact full,

Jan 21, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #4,988 of 5,225
Alternative view - burn-in might have an effect on how you perceive them (psycho-acoustically) - ie brain burn-in. There is no evidence to suggest that it will make any other audible changes to the drivers. How do I know - I've measured my pair of A4 out of the box and again after 50 or so hours. No audible measurable change. Our brain simply gets used to the signature, compensates for it, and we perceive that as the sound changing.

Interestingly, one of the largest IEM manufacturers on the planet (Shure) came out publicly a few years ago and debunked claims that burn-in affects their earphones - either dynamic or BA.

Jan 21, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #4,990 of 5,225
Alternative view - burn-in might have an effect on how you perceive them (psycho-acoustically) - ie brain burn-in. There is no evidence to suggest that it will make any other audible changes to the drivers. How do I know - I've measured my pair of A4 out of the box and again after 50 or so hours. No audible measurable change. Our brain simply gets used to the signature, compensates for it, and we perceive that as the sound changing.

Interestingly, one of the largest IEM manufacturers on the planet (Shure) came out publicly a few years ago and debunked claims that burn-in affects their earphones - either dynamic or BA.

Stop bombarding us with your factual statements!!!
I must always believe in Burn In mythology

Jan 21, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #4,991 of 5,225

I couldn't agree more. I watched the video you linked earlier in this thread and it was an eye opener for me. Thank you for your factual and objective comments Brooko! You are a true asset to this community!

Jan 21, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #4,992 of 5,225

I don't doubt that. I don't have a golden ear like half the people on audiogon (apparently), and I actually have a bit of hearing loss (and tinnitus). However, I've never noticed a difference after burning-in speakers (I have a lot more experience with speakers than headphones). I've always thought there was a bit of perception and brain burn-in at play. Plus, I think a lot of people hear a difference because they want to (like, they spent $800 on speaker cable elevators so they don't touch the floor- seriously?).

I'll burn-in these IEMs; that way, if I make any comments on their sound, I won't be pummeled with replies saying I need to burn them in to hear what they should sound like. If I weren't posting on a forum, I probably wouldn't bother with burn-in. :smile:

Jan 21, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #4,993 of 5,225
I need some help friends. I bought a 2nd pair of A4's because I began to develop an issue with one of the ba's in my first pair. I bought my first pair used so I probably couldn't have had them fixed. Anyways, my new pair arrived yesterday and I've noticed differences between pairs. My first pair had Chinese wording on the box as well as on the storage case (red color). My new pair came with only English wording on the box and also on the storage case (orange color). Also, there are yellow cored tips in the foam, instead of the red cored tips that came with my first pair. Lastly, the a4's edges seem smoother and more rounded off. Did Lz modify the a4's or did I possibly get a fake pair? I got my new ones from Amazon (**** seller). Thanks for any opinions or help you can give me.

Jan 21, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #4,994 of 5,225
I need some help friends. I bought a 2nd pair of A4's because I began to develop an issue with one of the ba's in my first pair. I bought my first pair used so I probably couldn't have had them fixed. Anyways, my new pair arrived yesterday and I've noticed differences between pairs. My first pair had Chinese wording on the box as well as on the storage case (red color). My new pair came with only English wording on the box and also on the storage case (orange color). Also, there are yellow cored tips in the foam, instead of the red cored tips that came with my first pair. Lastly, the a4's edges seem smoother and more rounded off. Did Lz modify the a4's or did I possibly get a fake pair? I got my new ones from Amazon (**** seller). Thanks for any opinions or help you can give me.
How you feel the sound difference between the two , the sound quality is same or not,????

Jan 21, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #4,995 of 5,225
Soundstage is awesome.

Definitely tip roll.

I LOVE mine with foam, but can't really deal with them with silicone. Others swear by Spiral Dots, etc.

Tips affect the sound a LOT more than cables or burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back