LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 5, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #3,946 of 5,225
I would say that it is most likely heat build up. IEMs really aren't designed to be used for that long of a period straight. Even burning in I only run them 8-10 hours at a time with a few hours rest in between.

Glad to hear they are okay now.

:grinning::grinning: TWIN

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #3,947 of 5,225
Im using the Opus#1. Volume is the same between both inputs. I notice a definite increase in separation and clarity.

And I can't dispute what you hear (subjective).  What I'd love is an actual measurement of the output on both 
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #3,948 of 5,225
I would say that it is most likely heat build up. IEMs really aren't designed to be used for that long of a period straight. Even burning in I only run them 8-10 hours at a time with a few hours rest in between.

Glad to hear they are okay now.

:grinning::grinning: TWIN

Are you sure about that? I can't imagine it taking nearly that long for something that small to reach thermal equilibrium. Chances are your IEMs get as hot as they're going to get not too long into use.

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #3,949 of 5,225
And I can't dispute what you hear (subjective).  What I'd love is an actual measurement of the output on both :wink:

Yeah it's kinda like the Red Filter vs Black filter dilemma with these lol. Hopefully somebody can do some measurements

Apr 6, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #3,950 of 5,225
Well I understand completely and bottom line is if an iem does not work for someone ergonomically they need to find one that does regardless of how good said iem sounds:wink_face: I sure don't think it is any kind of a slight if a particular product does not fit or seal properly for any particular individual. This would just have to go into the "Can't Win Them All" category:rolleyes:

I find this seems to be the case a lot on head-fi or really everywhere on the internet. Everyone wants to believe that the iems they like are the best, and anyone who disagrees, even when its almost always down to personal preferences, is basically personally insulting their choices. I own the vega, and they are my first totl, yet I wasnt blown away by them on my first listen. I absolutely adore them now, but I also realize that the sound is just not for everyone, nor does it bother me if someone doesnt feel the same as me. It doesnt devalue my purchase, because to me, they are worth it, and I think they are wonderful. Its almost like politics really, everyone gets so invested in their decisions, that when people have different opinions, they take it as a personal insult.

I also own the A4, and while I think they are good, there is just a quality about the sound that doesnt really do it for me, so they are not my favorite. And I will admit that the fit is a little... odd. Not uncomfortable, but big and bulbous, and I can see how that could be an issue to some people. Regardless, my opinions dont, or rather shouldnt, devalue how anyone else feels about them.

So nice to see well-reasoned, rational thought processes instead of reactionary fanbois :)

LZ made a new 7 balanced armature named Big Dipper.

I would make a new thread for this amazing IEM

I'll have to check that out. Looks like it would be a much better fit for me ergonomically.

And I can't dispute what you hear (subjective).  What I'd love is an actual measurement of the output on both :wink:

I'll add this to my bucket list :wink:

Apr 6, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #3,951 of 5,225
While I do find the A4 a bit large they're quite comfortable for me. I found that large, shallow, wide-bore tips gave me the best fit, especially when wearing cable down. I thought the purpose of the unusual twin turbo shape was so that they could be worn either cable down or over ear without the need to change sides/swap cables.

Apr 6, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #3,952 of 5,225
So nice to see well-reasoned, rational thought processes instead of reactionary fanbois :)

yeah. there's plenty of irony involved.
in fact I'm not even sure who the real fan boys are :wink:

regardless, iems are only good for a couple of years I suppose, great if they last for over a decade (er4?)

hey man, I'm just originally responding to snuff's Fitgate scandal. but yeah, on our thread here we're just trying to be consistent with valuable impressions and help others out. look around, and hopefully you can appreciate everyone's input even when we don't agree on certain things. # respect bruh

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #3,953 of 5,225
Oops!
(delete)

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #3,954 of 5,225
They are the same. LZ has been researching in 6/7ba IEM since A4 was released. The switch is something he added recently to his prototypes.
I've expressed my worry about the ergonomics of this new prototype and have told him too the complaints about ergonomics of his A3 and A4. He said he will try to solve it in A5. Let's see.

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #3,955 of 5,225
They are the same. LZ has been researching in 6/7ba IEM since A4 was released. The switch is something he added recently to his prototypes.
I've expressed my worry about the ergonomics of this new prototype and have told him too the complaints about ergonomics of his A3 and A4. He said he will try to solve it in A5. Let's see.

That's interesting that you have such a nice rapport with Mr. LZ. What's the switch for ?

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #3,956 of 5,225

Are you sure about that? I can't imagine it taking nearly that long for something that small to reach thermal equilibrium. Chances are your IEMs get as hot as they're going to get not too long into use.

No, actually I'm not. This is just what I have been advised by individuals in the Audio world, on forums, friends and audio professionals. I can't imagine listening to an IEM for 17 hours straight anyways, I'd like to know what DAP / Phone has a charge that long. But it can't be good for them obviously they are going to fail sooner than with less extended periods of listening. Besides I really baby my equipment.

Unless it is moisture, but I've never personally experienced sweating inside my ears. Outside yes, inside no. 
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Apr 6, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #3,957 of 5,225
  No, actually I'm not. This is just what I have been advised by individuals in the Audio world, on forums, friends and audio professionals. I can't imagine listening to an IEM for 17 hours straight anyways, I'd like to know what DAP / Phone has a charge that long. But it can't be good for them obviously they are going to fail sooner than with less extended periods of listening. Besides I really baby my equipment.

Unless it is moisture, but I've never personally experienced sweating inside my ears. Outside yes, inside no. 
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Back in my original post - I mentioned that I had come home from work Friday afternoon, swapped out the Pink nozzles for the Gray Nozzles, plugged the A4 earphones into my PC / Micro iDSD, DAC/Amp, and started listening to the ThistleRadio Internet stream.  Then I fell asleep in my recliner for the rest of the night - with the stream still playing.  When I woke up Saturday morning, I began streaming a YouTube Owain Phyfe playlist, and it was a few hours later, that the Bass dropped on the right side.  None of the listening was done at loud levels, since I was in my quiet living room.

Apr 6, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #3,958 of 5,225

biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

​My Cowon Plenue D will run for 50 hours while playing lossless ...

I routinely listen for 12 to 16 hours a day while working and then after. Not every day, but quite often.

Apr 6, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #3,959 of 5,225
Back in my original post - I mentioned that I had come home from work Friday afternoon, swapped out the Pink nozzles for the Gray Nozzles, plugged the A4 earphones into my PC / Micro iDSD, DAC/Amp, and started listening to the ThistleRadio Internet stream.  Then I fell asleep in my recliner for the rest of the night - with the stream still playing.  When I woke up Saturday morning, I began streaming a YouTube Owain Phyfe playlist, and it was a few hours later, that the Bass dropped on the right side.  None of the listening was done at loud levels, since I was in my quiet living room.

yeah, that's a rather long listening marathon, and congrats on the long undisturbed nap!

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #3,960 of 5,225

That's interesting that you have such a nice rapport with Mr. LZ. What's the switch for ?

There're three switches for adjusting Low, Mid, High. Very fancy, if not too. Anyway, it's just a prototype.
Actually, you can try to get in touch with him using QQ. It's quite fun. He loves to send his friends photos of prototypes, which are different almost every month.
There're some friends here who talk with him quite often, as I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back