LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 5, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #3,931 of 5,225
@nealh: Got your PM and will get you some comparative measurements. Basically I told the guys there that I thought Vega was pretty bloated at first but did evened out once I found the right DAP to pair them with. After that, they were good. I just didn't rave about them. You have to rave about them, or is like you're invading their thread. I said I liked them, just that they weren't the end all, be all for me. It was like I'd insulted their wife or mother, lol.

I find this seems to be the case a lot on head-fi or really everywhere on the internet. Everyone wants to believe that the iems they like are the best, and anyone who disagrees, even when its almost always down to personal preferences, is basically personally insulting their choices. I own the vega, and they are my first totl, yet I wasnt blown away by them on my first listen. I absolutely adore them now, but I also realize that the sound is just not for everyone, nor does it bother me if someone doesnt feel the same as me. It doesnt devalue my purchase, because to me, they are worth it, and I think they are wonderful. Its almost like politics really, everyone gets so invested in their decisions, that when people have different opinions, they take it as a personal insult.

I also own the A4, and while I think they are good, there is just a quality about the sound that doesnt really do it for me, so they are not my favorite. And I will admit that the fit is a little... odd. Not uncomfortable, but big and bulbous, and I can see how that could be an issue to some people. Regardless, my opinions dont, or rather shouldnt, devalue how anyone else feels about them.

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #3,932 of 5,225
Depends on the DAP more than the earphones.  Some have very different balanced circuits to their SE.  As far as SE vs balanced goes generally though (for those players with very little deviation between the two), the frequency response is essentially the same.  Personally my take on balanced is its often vastly over-rated (sonic benefits).  Most people don't volume match properly when comparing the two.

Im using the Opus#1. Volume is the same between both inputs. I notice a definite increase in separation and clarity.

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #3,933 of 5,225
I find this seems to be the case a lot on head-fi or really everywhere on the internet. Everyone wants to believe that the iems they like are the best, and anyone who disagrees, even when its almost always down to personal preferences, is basically personally insulting their choices. I own the vega, and they are my first totl, yet I wasnt blown away by them on my first listen. I absolutely adore them now, but I also realize that the sound is just not for everyone, nor does it bother me if someone doesnt feel the same as me. It doesnt devalue my purchase, because to me, they are worth it, and I think they are wonderful. Its almost like politics really, everyone gets so invested in their decisions, that when people have different opinions, they take it as a personal insult.

I also own the A4, and while I think they are good, there is just a quality about the sound that doesnt really do it for me, so they are not my favorite. And I will admit that the fit is a little... odd. Not uncomfortable, but big and bulbous, and I can see how that could be an issue to some people. Regardless, my opinions dont, or rather shouldnt, devalue how anyone else feels about them.

Excellent points. I agree 100%

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #3,934 of 5,225
I just picked up an HM-650 with balanced card and I hear a substantial difference with the A4 in balanced mode. I tried the it03 in balanced and it didn't seem to make near as much difference.

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #3,935 of 5,225
@nealh: Got your PM and will get you some comparative measurements. Basically I told the guys there that I thought Vega was pretty bloated at first but did evened out once I found the right DAP to pair them with. After that, they were good. I just didn't rave about them. You have to rave about them, or is like you're invading their thread. I said I liked them, just that they weren't the end all, be all for me. It was like I'd insulted their wife or mother, lol.

Re: LZ-A4...

Yes, I'll try different tips. It's not so much comfort as the housing shape + straight nozzles + weight don't work particularly well - especially for my right ear. They're always on the verge of breaking seal and have to be positioned in an awkward angle in that ear in particular to seal at all.

Now i don't mean to say that this will be a problem for everyone. It's obviously not, or there wouldn't be so many people here expressing their appreciation and urging me to try and find the best fit. I guess part of my problem is that I have many pairs of IEM, and many of those are much more ergonomic (at least for me). That makes me less tolerant of IEM that don't take ergonomics as seriously.

Hey Man, I appreciate your honest thoughts on the A4 and I hope everyone knows I didn't loan them to you hoping for some glowing review! Makes no difference to me, just figured the more opinions the better and @1TrickPony speaks highly of you (and I do now as well after our chats). The A4 are still batting quite well when we weigh in everyone's take and obviously fit is unique to everyone. I think you mentioned you liked the sound quality, right? Anyway, thanks for giving them a listen! 

I can't really find a rhyme or reason to what fits me, it's kind of odd. For example, the A4 fit me fine, despite being large and slightly heavy, while I had tons of trouble with the DN-2000J and K3003i, both sort of smaller, shorter housings. Couldn't get a seal with either of them and let both go for that reason. A4 wouldn't be my first choice for eight hour listening sessions due to size/shape, but the sound quality makes up for it in my opinion. I still think they're five-star IEMs when taking into account everything. 

-Collin-

Apr 5, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #3,936 of 5,225
I'm a bit late to this part of this discussion but for posterity I had a real hard time fitting these. I usually run a medium in tip size but to get a good seal I'm using Comply Tx400 Large.

Apr 5, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #3,937 of 5,225
I'm a bit late to this part of this discussion but for posterity I had a real hard time fitting these. I usually run a medium in tip size but to get a good seal I'm using Comply Tx400 Large.

So uh, it fits now if you're getting a good seal? My LZ-A4 took me by surprise when I ended up with a large pair of spinfits. This went well with the stock cable. Sadly, this isn't working too well my fidue balanced cable. It requires a little bit effort. Hard knock life. SeeSax, you selling me those Dunu cables yes? Lol

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #3,938 of 5,225
feels like day 2 again, going balanced. I can't really compare Single Ended vs. Balanced, though I can say this combo works really well so far...

early impressions so far, large spinfits and fidue balanced:

pink+ black// articulate, clear,detailed,"fuller" sounding...

attempted my usual go-to of greys, green, and black, and they sounded rather on the hollow side. not the case for the pink panther.

So yeah different daps, setups, etc. can be tricky but rewarding ride. Thanks for your valuable recommendation Brooko!

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #3,939 of 5,225
So uh, it fits now if you're getting a good seal? My LZ-A4 took me by surprise when I ended up with a large pair of spinfits. This went well with the stock cable. Sadly, this isn't working too well my fidue balanced cable. It requires a little bit effort. Hard knock life. @SeeSax, you selling me those Dunu cables yes? Lol

The balanced one? I already sold the single-ended one to my buddy @AncientSw0rd so that one is gone. And you will have to pry the balanced one out of my cold, dead hands! Or you will have to just catch me after a few beers. 

The fit topic has sort of blown up today hasn't it. #FitGate2017

-Collin-

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #3,940 of 5,225
The balanced one? I already sold the single-ended one to my buddy @AncientSw0rd
 so that one is gone. And you will have to pry the balanced one out of my cold, dead hands! Or you will have to just catch me after a few beers. 

-Collin-

lmao. I'm a big boy. :boy:

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #3,941 of 5,225
The balanced one? I already sold the single-ended one to my buddy @AncientSw0rd
 so that one is gone. And you will have to pry the balanced one out of my cold, dead hands! Or you will have to just catch me after a few beers. 

-Collin-

Well then Collin... drink up my boy :joy::joy:

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #3,942 of 5,225
So uh, it fits now if you're getting a good seal? My LZ-A4 took me by surprise when I ended up with a large pair of spinfits. This went well with the stock cable. Sadly, this isn't working too well my fidue balanced cable. It requires a little bit effort. Hard knock life. @SeeSax, you selling me those Dunu cables yes? Lol

Yeah, though I was surprised I had to step a size up. I had medium spinfits but the IEMs were falling out of my head. LZ-A4 really has an odd shape to it. Much more enjoyable now that I don't have to readjust them all the time.

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #3,944 of 5,225

Got my second custom cable. First (Dawson cable) got chewed by the puppy was for PM-3's, this second one is first MMCX, looks and sounds great. I really want one that's a thicker gauge but I just can't justify the funds. Someday for sure. I really like these A4's. I missed out on a Campfire Orion pair with a custom Litz cable. Can't wait to get enough to buy every IEM ever made.

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #3,945 of 5,225

I haven't tried mine since I took them off on Saturday afternoon, but I suspect that either heat or humidity caused the issue.
Hopefully it's not a condition that is weakening / damaging the dynamic driver.

Tried the LZ-A4 this evening (connected to the same amp), and the Bass quantity & quality is similar from both earphones.
So, it must have been the moisture or heat buildup, from wearing them 16 - 17 hours (overnight) on Friday / Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back