LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 30, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #3,784 of 5,225
well, I guess as long as your cables are balanced... I think by default they are 2.5mm.

I'm just having a ball with the opus#1. the layering,depth of soundstage with the Zen2.0 is something else...

like what I wrote on the other thread, if a good iem helps you discover your music collection, the opus dap lets you re-enjoy your collection of iems,earbuds, etc...

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #3,785 of 5,225
Do the adapters to turn 3.5 to 2.5 actually work? VE one is only $5.

The 3.5mm TRS plug is:
Tip = Left+
Ring = Right+
Sleeve = Common GND (Left- & Right-)

All the adapters really do is:
1) Attach the Left+ to the 2.5mm Ring2 (away from the tip)
2) Attach the Right+ to the 2.5mm Ring1 (near the tip)
3) Attach the Common GND to the 2.5mm Tip (Right-) and Sleeve (Left-)

It's going the other way - from Balanced to Single-ended, where you can end up damaging the amplifiers by shorting the Grounds (Left- & Right-) together.

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #3,786 of 5,225
The 3.5mm TRS plug is:
Tip = Left+
Ring = Right+
Sleeve = Common GND (Left- & Right-)

All the adapters really do is:
1) Attach the Left+ to the 2.5mm Ring2 (away from the tip)
2) Attach the Right+ to the 2.5mm Ring1 (near the tip)
3) Attach the Common GND to the 2.5mm Tip (Right-) and Sleeve (Left-)

It's going the other way - from Balanced to Single-ended, where you can end up damaging the amplifiers by shorting the Grounds (Left- & Right-) together.

so going from 2.5mm balanced + adapter can ruin my portable amp? or dap for that matter?

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #3,787 of 5,225
so going from 2.5mm balanced + adapter can ruin my portable amp? or dap for that matter?

There may be some adapters that use transformers or resistors internally, so that the four balanced amplifier output signals (L+, L-, R+, R-) do not get shorted together when connected to single-ended earphone cables - and those adapters could work, without damaging the amplifiers.

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #3,788 of 5,225
There may be some adapters that use transformers or resistors internally, so that the four balanced amplifier output signals (L+, L-, R+, R-) do not get shorted together when connected to single-ended earphone cables - and those adapters could work, without damaging the amplifiers.

yeah. hence my big hesitation going balanced. I have other great that I totally love! I might just go specific pairing from now on!

Mar 30, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #3,789 of 5,225

No it won't, that's kind of the whole point of using an adapter :wink:

Adapters can only make a balanced cable compatible with an single ended (unbalanced) output though, never the other way around. Hence having most possible balanced cables/headphones makes sense if you're interested in it since they can always be used with all kind of amplifiers (by adding an adapter).

Mar 30, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #3,790 of 5,225
I'm sorry, missed these post in my previous answer.

Do the adapters to turn 3.5 to 2.5 actually work? VE one is only $5.

Yes, I've got and use them all and they work very well. Only thing is that the 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm single ended fit is a bit loose.

well, I guess as long as your cables are balanced... I think by default they are 2.5mm.

I'm just having a ball with the opus#1. the layering,depth of soundstage with the Zen2.0 is something else...

like what I wrote on the other thread, if a good iem helps you discover your music collection, the opus dap lets you re-enjoy your collection of iems,earbuds, etc...

That's not really the case. There's also 3.5mm balanced termination as well as dual 3.5mm, dual xlr 3-pin and xlr 4-pin in my balanced inventory. I do also believe that Sony uses a proprietary one and there might be others that I don't know or remember right now as well.

Mar 30, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #3,791 of 5,225
I'm sorry, missed these post in my previous answer.
Yes, I've got and use them all and they work very well. Only thing is that the 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm single ended fit is a bit loose.
That's not really the case. There's also 3.5mm balanced termination as well as dual 3.5mm, dual xlr 3-pin and xlr 4-pin in my balanced inventory. I do also believe that Sony uses a proprietary one and there might be others that I don't know or remember right now as well.

Yes, Sony has a 4.4mm Pentaconn:

Edit: which is reportedly what will be on the upcoming Acoustic Research AR-M200 DAP.

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #3,793 of 5,225
It does seem a good deal. May I ask where you found this deal? I might be interested as well.
Many thanks!

Hmm...I'm interested too for $148. Please let us know where you're getting the LZ A4 at this price.
What I did is use some coupons you need to create a new account with this link https://m.aliexpress.com/coupon/getCoupon.htm?aff_platform=aaf&cpt=1490861803048&sk=Y7bAZbY&aff_trace_key=67708ab2406644729e44a158608fe1bb-1490861803048-00831-Y7bAZbY
The code AENEW will give you a 15 euros off coupon on a purchase of 70 euros or more. Then you have the regular seller coupon then if you can find a Cashback site. The one I use gives back 7.5 percent of the order. So if I do the math. The full price with nicehck is
177-15=161-10-150-7.5=139 euros. Hope the code still works

Mar 30, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #3,795 of 5,225
Thanks Peter, will consider the adapter for the SIMGOT to run balanced

Simgot to A4 comparison? 

popcorn.gif

beerchug.gif

-Collin-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back