LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 29, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #3,751 of 5,225
  Guys (and gals), 

I've been listening to the A4 a lot and at the end of the day, they are closest to the Sony Z5. The A4 have a ton more tuning options, but when you dial them in then I would say they are most like the Sony Z5. I just now got my balanced cable and have tried it on the A4 and Z5 and wow, what an amazing experience in clarity. To me, this is to be applauded on the A4 front (1/3 the price of the Z5). Well, well done. 

Balanced. Wow. Damn. Guess I have to change all my stuff over. :)

-Collin-

Please will you like to tell us your favourite combo which sounds like Z5,  thanks , , 

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #3,753 of 5,225
Looks like I got the wrong size Spinfits. Went for large as most of my other tips are on the larger side, but not getting any kind of seal with these. Might have to order medium.

sorry guy. we're all different anatomy :frowning2: the most important is seal if anything.
seal-heidi-klum.jpg

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #3,756 of 5,225

just in. I do admit, they look like a good pairing; I just have to connect point A to point B...

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #3,757 of 5,225
Just registered to chip in on this thread. Got the LZ-A4 after reading about them from this thread as my first major IEM, instead of shures, and have been listening to them for the past week and a half.

I have been having lots of fun mismatching filters between the two ears for comparison purposes and I think it is really good for developing experience in judging the response of a monitor. I did some ABX testing with a friend and we could both tell which ear had which filter (like blue vs red back). It also helping me find which combination I prefer by doing incremental changes.

I have found that at the volumes I listen to I like grey front a lot (as it removes the fatiguing peaks but stills gives you nicely audible highs and a big soundstage, which I found pink dampening). At the same time blue backs provide a very respectable amount of bass while letting the mids and highs shine, even at low volume, though these IEM's sound amazing with all bass filters. I have been having a lot of fun and it genuinely feels like I you have a dozen different IEM that you can try to find the best sounding one for you.

Has anyone else been trying different filters in different ears to try and crawl to their favorite pairing?

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #3,759 of 5,225
lol guys. we're always happy to hear from the new owners. I myself am at the point of trying them balanced, just see what the story is about...

this thing has got plenty of potential

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #3,760 of 5,225

Some quick remarks on eartips:
1. Spinfit M is slightly looser than Spiral Dot M, but larger than spiral dot MS.
2. Spinfit M is roughly the same size as the stock ear tip M, the one in Tiffany blue color.
3. Spinfit M is the most comfortable for me, but, to my ears, I prefer the sound of Spiral Dot. More intimate on mid. I recommend people try both of them. Both are better than the stock eartips.
4. The double-flanges sound awful. They tell me how much eartips matter.
5. For Spiral Dot's sizing, that 1mm difference between M and MS is quite significant. Though M is tight for me, MS is too loose and can't offer a good seal already.

Hope this is helpful for those who're looking for eartips.

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #3,762 of 5,225
The 3.5mm output on the Opus #1 is single ended while the 2.5mm is balanced, as simple as that :wink:

I guess I'm confused on what the single ended part is

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #3,764 of 5,225
I guess I'm confused on what the single ended part is

The (+) lead of the Left and Right channel amplifiers are separate for both Single-Ended & Balanced, so you can have two channels.

In a Single-Ended amp, the (-) lead for both channels comes back to a common Ground, so you only need 3 wires in the earphone cable.

In a Balanced amp, the (-) lead for each channel is separate, coming back to that channel only (due to the circuit architecture), so you need 4 wires in the earphone cable.

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #3,765 of 5,225
I guess some daps come with 2.5mm and 3.5mm inputs. The Opus#1 comes with à 2.5mm balance input.

lol since I haven't played my LZ-A4 in over 10 days, this is going to be a fun rehab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back