LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 6, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #3,181 of 5,225
I tried the red-b/black-f and found it to be too bassy.  Santa's trousers?

The best way for me to describe the black-b/grey-f (for cheapo guys like me) is they're similar to the Ostry KC06 presentation.  The soundstage isn't great, but mids really come forward.  I really like these for vocal focused stuff.  I've yet to find forward-mid iems that don't lose out on soundstage.  

I'm interested in trying the black-b/pink-f that Brooko found but I think I will stick with the Black/Grey for another week.  

Here are my favorite combos so far:

1. Black/black - monster soundstage, good detail at all levels
2. Black/grey - most mids, small soundstage, but good detail.  Bass hits fast.
3. Black/red - pretty good soundstage, good detail but slightly warmer sound sig

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #3,183 of 5,225
Can you help share the difference
biggrin.gif

Tks

Mids are more forward on the K3 (original). Treble as well mostly

The A4 is more versatile because of the filters. Soundstage is better with A4 on some filters, less with others.

The memory wire of the K3 drives me nuts, but it does sit well in ear.

Otherwise both are more similar than different. I should have a FR graph soon between them. I prefer the A4, but I would be completely happy with the K3 if I did not have the A4.

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #3,184 of 5,225
  I tried the red-b/black-f and found it to be too bassy.  Santa's trousers?

The best way for me to describe the black-b/grey-f (for cheapo guys like me) is they're similar to the Ostry KC06 presentation.  The soundstage isn't great, but mids really come forward.  I really like these for vocal focused stuff.  I've yet to find forward-mid iems that don't lose out on soundstage.  

I'm interested in trying the black-b/pink-f that Brooko found but I think I will stick with the Black/Grey for another week.  

Here are my favorite combos so far:

1. Black/black - monster soundstage, good detail at all levels
2. Black/grey - most mids, small soundstage, but good detail.  Bass hits fast.
3. Black/red - pretty good soundstage, good detail but slightly warmer sound sig

Too bassy?! There is no such thing! Kidding, but yes I can see how people could feel that way. I like it because it's the most bass-intense combo and I find it a very relaxing listen. When I want more analytical, I swap the black front for the blue and it brings the treble a bit forward. The red is basically permanently attached for the back for me though. Also, I have a silver-plated copper cable installed now and either the placebo effect is strong today or, it provides just a tad more bass control and lifted upper frequencies to make the red back/black front perfect for me. 

Cheers, 

-Collin-

Mar 6, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #3,185 of 5,225
No UK supplier, but I'm UK based and ordered these (and various other pieces if gear over the last year) from Penon Audio in HK - if you opt for the express shipping option, it's trackable and arrived within 5 days for me.

They are a reputable seller on here (www.penonaudio.com) - sure other members can chime in if they have used them (or just use the thread search option, they have been mentioned quite a few times).

Hope that helps?

I highly recommend Penon audio. They have nice communication given the time change. Their express shipping is one of the best values out there.

I purchased my LZ-A4 from there. They shipped from their location in Southeast Asia to Tampa Florida in like 2 1/2 days with the express shipping

That is great news. Thank you both for putting forward Penon Audio and conforming they are legitimate!

Will check them out and look to place an order in the next week.

First decent pair of IEMs so I feel compelled to take a couple photos of when they arrive so you can all share in my excitement and to celebrate my ears hearing decent quality sound!!

Cheers! :)

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #3,186 of 5,225
I tried stock, Auvio, Spiral, Spinfit, Comply, Kombi and the best I've found for me are the KZ Star tips. Super cheap on AE. Gonna try them with the Kombi foam for fun tonight.

My balanced cable should also be here tomorrow, can't wait to see how it sounds

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #3,187 of 5,225
First decent pair of IEMs so I feel compelled to take a couple photos of when they arrive so you can all share in my excitement and to celebrate my ears hearing decent quality sound!!

Cheers!
smily_headphones1.gif

Excellent choice for a first decent pair - looking forward to reading how much you enjoy them!

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #3,188 of 5,225

Also, I have a silver-plated copper cable installed now and either the placebo effect is strong today or, it provides just a tad more bass control and lifted upper frequencies to make the red back/black front perfect for me. 

Cheers, 

-Collin-

Pretty much my experience with the better cable too - last few days I've been going commando and although the bass is strong, it's not as overpowering as it was before the cable upgrade.

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #3,189 of 5,225

Pretty much my experience with the better cable too - last few days I've been going commando and although the bass is strong, it's not as overpowering as it was before the cable upgrade.

I still love the going commando reference to the back filters LOL. 

Mar 6, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #3,190 of 5,225
In case anyone is interested, my warrantied Trinity PM4 just arrived back to me today.  I didn't acquire the LZ-A4 until after I had sent away the broken PM4, so my previous posted comparisons to it in this thread were based on memory.

In sum, I would retract most of what I said in my initial comparison - now that I can A/B test them back to back, there is no comparison.  

- The PM4 sounds harsh and abrasive because of the lack of crossovers across three drivers.  It's a strident, fatiguing sound.  Next to it, the LZ-A4 is more refined in treble, but with none of the harshness.  The sound is smooth, full, and composed.   PM4's sound signature seems unpleasantly forward and aggressive.  

- The soundstage, which I had remembered especially fondly, is on par with LZ-A4, but arguably no wider, and definitely not taller.  

- The bass on the A4 also has deeper extension and more refinement than the PM4.   The "slam", or impact, is about equal.

I feel so lucky to have discovered the A4, out of all the other universal IEMs I could have tried. It also blows away the JH Audio Angie, and all the other IEMs I have heard (Angie is the most expensive IEM I have heard though.)

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #3,191 of 5,225
In case anyone is interested, my warrantied Trinity PM4 just arrived back to me today.  I didn't acquire the LZ-A4 until after I had sent away the broken PM4, so my previous posted comparisons to it in this thread were based on memory.

In sum, I would retract most of what I said in my initial comparison - now that I can A/B test them back to back, there is no comparison.  

- The PM4 sounds harsh and abrasive because of the lack of crossovers across three drivers.  It's a strident, fatiguing sound.  Next to it, the LZ-A4 is more refined in treble, but with none of the harshness.  The sound is smooth, full, and composed.   PM4's sound signature seems unpleasantly forward and aggressive.  

- The soundstage, which I had remembered especially fondly, is on par with LZ-A4, but arguably no wider, and definitely not taller.  

- The bass on the A4 also has deeper extension and more refinement than the PM4.   The "slam", or impact, is about equal.

I feel so lucky to have discovered the A4, out of all the other universal IEMs I could have tried. It also blows away the JH Audio Angie, and all the other IEMs I have heard (Angie is the most expensive IEM I have heard though.)

In comparison to the LZ-A4, the master 4 seemed thrown together. That's was my opinion.

The other thing about the Master 4 was tunablity was severing lacking compared to the A4

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #3,193 of 5,225
Mids are more forward on the K3 (original). Treble as well mostly

The A4 is more versatile because of the filters. Soundstage is better with A4 on some filters, less with others.

The memory wire of the K3 drives me nuts, but it does sit well in ear.

Otherwise both are more similar than different. I should have a FR graph soon between them. I prefer the A4, but I would be completely happy with the K3 if I did not have the A4.

Thanks patiently waiting for your FR.

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #3,194 of 5,225

wow. what a statement. I loved the look of my former Pm4 (aluminum silver) and sounded fantastic with jazz vocals. connector disconnect with every time I put them on and severely lacked resolution compared to other strong 100$ iems :S

well, I'm off to check the A4 side by side with the IT-03... I can see certain perks with the Ibasso hybrid...but sq department wise...

I'm keeping my A4 likely. I gotta have them sweet lovely mids :wink:

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #3,195 of 5,225

Glad to see some good words there....
biggrin.gif

I was so disappointed with trinity and the pm4...  I got other trinity IEM's on preorder so I'm still in it for the company, but that strident, fatiguing sound...  the abrasiveness and harshness just killed it for me...  especially after hearing how capable the delta vII was, I couldn't believe the frankensteined sound they created with the pm4.  Lets just say that was one "experimental" IEM that was hopefully part of an "experimental" phase.

I completely agree with your analysis.

I wasn't able to enjoy the soundstage cuz I was so sensitive to the harshness of the pm4 that it seemed like a brick wall of pumped up frequencies that was magical for the first minute of a perfectly mastered track, and then caving in on itself with the severity of the detail.

And then to move from the pm4 to the A4 is just such a pleasant relief...  Especially with some tubey sound
wink.gif

Very glad to hear you liked your purchase...  It holds its own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back