LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 12, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #1,696 of 5,225

I believe this aspect of perception (or rather variance) can be due to different sources we use. So far, I hear things differently with my xuelin 770 DAP + Alo Rx versus say Shanling M3 Dap. So far the M3 sounds not so diffuse even though it offers a slightly larger dimension in imaging. I'm no expert in outputs and DACs but who knows right?

@thugangel123  - I don't think we're going to generalize in saying the grey ones are bad, I think the beauty behind the A4 is that you really get to see what works superbly well with your setup and adjust according to taste. :wink:

Hehe I agree with you that's why I said all the front filters have something going for them in one way or the other. Still I think the grays are a bit underrated. I personally never bothered trying them on until now and they give me the perfect balance as far as vocals and overall smoothness is concerned. 

Jan 12, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #1,697 of 5,225
Does anyone who uses the Green / Fronts have a comparison IEM with a similar sound signature? The Green filters are so strange. On one hand i could listen to them all day and they sound amazing to my ears, but on the other hand the Red / Fronts give more treble extension (so it feels) and the treble is more sparkly but smh i always come back to the Green / Fronts because they are just so relaxing and the treble is not in the foreground like with the Reds / Blues / Blacks (IMO) but a tad behind the mids saying "you can listen to me, but i don't force you to".

Jan 12, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #1,698 of 5,225
I believe this aspect of perception (or rather variance) can be due to different sources we use. So far, I hear things differently with my xuelin 770 DAP + Alo Rx versus say Shanling M3 Dap. So far the M3 sounds not so diffuse even though it offers a slightly larger dimension in imaging. I'm no expert in outputs and DACs but who knows right?

@thugangel123
  - I don't think we're going to generalize in saying the grey ones are bad, I think the beauty behind the A4 is that you really get to see what works superbly well with your setup and adjust according to taste. :wink:

Yeah I definitely agree that the source is very important for the end result. I've got IEM's sounding amazing from some sources while just being average from other. Pairing is definitely for real imo.

That being said I'm fortunate enough to have a lot of different sources around (I'd guess at least 40, maybe more) ranging from $15 to $1,500 so I usually try out my stuff with a large variety of them, the Zero is no exception and I didn't think of them as having a wide stage with any of them.

I do believe there's confirmed unit variations with the Zeros though (although both my pairs sound identical, although onlye have played for about one hour and the other for well over 100 hours.....).

Jan 12, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #1,699 of 5,225
Yeah I definitely agree that the source is very important for the end result. I've got IEM's sounding amazing from some sources while just being average from other. Pairing is definitely for real imo.

That being said I'm fortunate enough to have a lot of different sources around (I'd guess at least 40, maybe more) ranging from $15 to $1,500 so I usually try out my stuff with a large variety of them, the Zero is no exception and I didn't think of them as having a wide stage with any of them.

I do believe there's confirmed unit variations with the Zeros though (although both my pairs sound identical, although onlye have played for about one hour and the other for well over 100 hours.....).

Finding the A4 sound best with one of my lesser loved sources (Hifiman Megamini) - they still sound good out of the Fiio X7 or Supermini/LG G5 I otherwise use on a daily basis, but there's just something that sits better with the Megamini to bring the best out of my favourite filter combos. Gear synergy is no respecter of pricetag, it seems! :wink:

Jan 12, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #1,700 of 5,225
Damn...this thread let me start spending money for the complete HiFi chain, again. :) Thought, giving up spending for speakers, cables, sources and turning to small IEM will relax my wallet.

Honestly, I have no clue how a (good) DAP + files are able to improve the SQ compared the Sony Smartphone (MP3 320k) I use.
Any possibilties to give a brief impression or rating in %...?

Jan 12, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #1,701 of 5,225
Damn...this thread let me start spending money for the complete HiFi chain, again. :) Thought, giving up spending for speakers, cables, sources and turning to small IEM will relax my wallet.

Honestly, I have no clue how a (good) DAP + files are able to improve the SQ compared the Sony Smartphone (MP3 320k) I use.
Any possibilties to give a brief impression or rating in %...?

In my experience, you will likely get small improvements in detail retrieval, a "blacker" or less noisy background to the music and can get a better sense of dynamics (the "contrast" in the music as it moves from quiet to loud). It's difficult to quantify, and definitely along the lines of small improvements rather than night and day differences for me (but this is only my opinion, so take that witha pinch of salt). I haven't had any experience with DAPs costing over £500 yet, so someone like peter123 could give you some perspective from the higher end of the chain.

If you have IEMs that can handle the extra resolution etc, the difference is more noticeable (but still small in real terms IMHO). Hope that helps?

Jan 12, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #1,702 of 5,225
In my experience, you will likely get small improvements in detail retrieval, a "blacker" or less noisy background to the music and can get a better sense of dynamics (the "contrast" in the music as it moves from quiet to loud). It's difficult to quantify, and definitely along the lines of small improvements rather than night and day differences for me (but this is only my opinion, so take that witha pinch of salt). I haven't had any experience with DAPs costing over £500 yet, so someone like @peter123 could give you some perspective from the higher end of the chain.

If you have IEMs that can handle the extra resolution etc, the difference is more noticeable (but still small in real terms IMHO). Hope that helps?

Oh yes, many thanks. I strongly believe - and that makes me and my wallet concern - that the A4's are such IEM's. :wink:
...already fearing for the time to spend for converting my CD collection, again....

Jan 12, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #1,703 of 5,225
Oh yes, many thanks. I strongly believe - and that makes me and my wallet concern - that the A4's are such IEM's. :wink:
...already fearing for the time to spend for converting my CD collection, again....

In my experience the biggest difference between cheaper (maybe roughly up to $300)sources and more expensive ones are two. First there's very unusual for source costing more than $300 (again roughly and there's always exceptions to every rule) to have added or lacking in the sound reproduction ie they less often has exaggerated bass, rolled of highs etc. The second thing is the more black background that [@]Jackpot77 [/@] mentioned which also often comes hand in hand with a feeling of better separation in my experience. My guess is that this is because of better power supply, isolation and general better components but it's just a guess. These two things are the ones that I've found to be pretty universal among the stuff that I own or have had the chance to use.

Edit This also means that the "better" sources gets the more similar they'll sound and differences will be harder to pick out. Once again in my experience, ymmw,yada yada :wink:

To put this in percentage is pretty impossible to me as well since it's all subjective and no common scale exists.

When it comes to quality of music files my experience is that quality of the actual recording is way more important than the format of the file (at least as long as we talk about MP3 320 and upwards). This is a very infected question though and you'll probably be able to get as many opinions about it as it's users in here so my suggestion is to try for you self and see what your experience are.

Lastly there's a big difference between a phone and a phone when it comes to quality of the sound it puts out in my experience. This means that the improvements you'll get will be bigger or smaller depending not only what you upgrade to but also what you came from. I hope this makes sense.....

Jan 12, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #1,704 of 5,225
How do those compare to the Fidelio S2 in terms of their reference sound signature and detail retrieval?

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #1,705 of 5,225
I hope this makes sense.....

Thanks peter123. When requesting I already felt the answers would be like "it's all relative" in the hoping someone say "no need to spend further money" :)
You're right I have to try it out myself.

Ordered silver plated cable and some recommended eartips at first and will evaluate afterwards new if there is still a need for source upgrade.

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #1,706 of 5,225
Thanks peter123. When requesting I already felt the answers would be like "it's all relative" in the hoping someone say "no need to spend further money" :)
You're right I have to try it out myself.

Ordered silver plated cable and some recommended eartips at first and will evaluate afterwards new if there is still a need for source upgrade.

Even things like the software you use on your phone can have a difference - Neutron Player on Android had a small but noticeable improvement over the stock Android music app.

Jan 12, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #1,707 of 5,225
Even things like the software you use on your phone can have a difference - Neutron Player on Android had a small but noticeable improvement over the stock Android music app.

Yeah, this is absolutely true and what I already knew and experienced - I am quite satisfied with my "Music Folder Player Free" which provides a more neutral and darker sig than the stock Sony/Android App. Heard earlier about the Neutron Player. Thanks for this hint. I appreciate Apps where I am able to play complete Folders and that are not only sorted by playlists, artists, songs. I see already the 5 days test Version of the Neutron Player provides this Feature. Guess I am going to try this out this evening.

+ @peter123...There is definately a quite noisy background (at higher volumes which I prefer) with my current setup - no black at all. :-/

Jan 12, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #1,708 of 5,225
As am using the mobile application for Aliexpress so i am not able to copy and paste the links here ,  
These tips are available on NiceHCK and that banned one stores ,  just check these stories and you will find it  ,, ,  

Thanks, they look good and worth a try.

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #1,709 of 5,225

Hehe I agree with you that's why I said all the front filters have something going for them in one way or the other. Still I think the grays are a bit underrated. I personally never bothered trying them on until now and they give me the perfect balance as far as vocals and overall smoothness is concerned. 

I agree.  Though, the GRAYs put out a very different sound from the more popular Front filters, it has a nice quality that provides quite different tuning to the mix.

I really like the grays for this reason because it's like having two different IEM's of my preference in 1, and I can really have fun with it with the added bass from the REDback.  

They seem to have a wonderful mid section emphasis that not only brings out vocals really well, but a nice bit of added energy in any instrumentation without any brightness.

I am still listening mostly to BLACKfronts for the most optimal soundstage without brightness, but I am really happy to know the GRAYs are there for when I feel like it.  They are an energetic, treble-sensitive friendly option I'd have to say.

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #1,710 of 5,225

I agree.  Though, the GRAYs put out a very different sound from the more popular Front filters, it has a nice quality that provides quite different tuning to the mix.

I really like the grays for this reason because it's like having two different IEM's of my preference in 1, and I can really have fun with it with the added bass from the REDback.  

They seem to have a wonderful mid section emphasis that not only brings out vocals really well, but a nice bit of added energy in any instrumentation without any brightness.

I am still listening mostly to BLACKfronts for the most optimal soundstage without brightness, but I am really happy to know the GRAYs are there for when I feel like it.  They are an energetic, treble-sensitive friendly option I'd have to say.

well said (again). I really didn't expect that I'd be enjoying the whole process of filter rolling - its not a frustrating process and the rewards (of presentation) really makes me happy about the purchase.

I've had positive experiences with the FLC8s, Dunu Dn2000 (w/ring bass filters or none), and the Trinity Audio PM4 (definitely to the lesser extent sadly enough), and I've got to say that the LZ-A4 has the best implemented filtering system that I've ever had so far. The end result of a different synergy with filters yields a whole new personality to the A4 with some key strengths of the hybrid itself.

One can try say red, black or green for the front and you totally get a different experience with either black or red filters at the back. Red Bass Filters are for all the party animals (with the Black Bass filter being more demure/reserved but present).

In general there is an expectation that filters help modify the boosts and cuts, and in this case the A4s filtering system really adds to the overall layering,width, positioning aspects of presentation. The fact it is relaxed sounding nothing ever feels so forced or artificial. Low level listening at night is also something I recommend with the A4 because the music is totally there, free-flowing like "honey" as another owner had put it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back