LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 11, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #1,681 of 5,225
Can you compare the a4 vs the Mee audio P1 pinnacle? If you have both, is there one you prefer at that price?

There is a comparison in my review, but, I prefer the A4 due to its more authoritative bass and "bigger" sound overall. The P1 is super comfortable and I find them to be super neutral, but I prefer the tuning abilities and the more pleasant bass of the A4. 

-Collin-

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #1,682 of 5,225
There is a comparison in my review, but, I prefer the A4 due to its more authoritative bass and "bigger" sound overall. The P1 is super comfortable and I find them to be super neutral, but I prefer the tuning abilities and the more pleasant bass of the A4. 

-Collin-

Damn it, found and read your review and peters review. RIP my wallet

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #1,683 of 5,225
Was listening right now to my new discovered setup and noticed midrange seemed veiled. Started changing filters and got to the Red back and Blue Front, should be no veil yet was still there. Remember the foam inside the Spiral Dots mod I did, sure enough removed the foam and the veil was lifted. I have no clue why but it actually altered the sound which I didn't notice the other night.

On that note, I'm completely in love with the Red Back, Blue Front again. Bass is deep and well controlled, the blue filters provide a crisp clear extended treble.

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #1,684 of 5,225
Still hoping some compare these with cellos.

Jan 12, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #1,686 of 5,225
Hm. It seems I'm stuck (purposely) with the Red front nozzles with black back.

I don't think I can say that it has been a 3d experience for me but the layering effect is pretty trippy -
Vocals would remain forefront and centered but other instruments/musical phrases,passages and embellishments will simply weave in and out as the music plays along.

I can see others speaking highly of the SW3 with its 3d soundstage around the vocals. I believe I can say the same for the higher priced Flc8s, but I can say that A4 has its own unique way of presenting the music.

Relaxed sound ain't a bad thing in this case because there's something trippy going on in the big picture.

Red/f and Black/b is a whole different personality. It's probably the clearest presentation of details so far.

Jan 12, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #1,688 of 5,225
Red/f and Black/b is a whole different personality. It's probably the clearest presentation of details so far.

Very interesting - I've somehow left the filter tin at home today, but will try out the black backs when I get home. I've avoided them so far because I do like a bit of bass but keen to give them a try having read your take on them (may stay with black front for now though!)

On a different note, just borrowed the pair of Shozy Zeros that I'd given to a friend/colleague to compare soundstage. (Bear in mind this is red back, black front, spiral dots on the A4s)

I think the Zeros still just about have the edge on soundstage though, to be honest, I'm not 100% sure. Sounds like they're doing something funky with the positioning. But at least in terms of width, I think the difference is pretty minimal between the two.

Signature on the Zeros was pretty tough to listen to having had the A4s. A real lack of detail all round, in comparison. I think if one hasn't heard substantially better than the Zeros, they sound quite nice. But it's a little like going from a modern LED TV back to an old CRT set. The picture's all there, and it's not terrible, just a lot less defined in all aspects.

Given the difference in price, I think that's a good thing - I'd be a bit disappointed if there was little difference between the two earphones!

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #1,689 of 5,225
The gray fronts dont get enough love imo. They have the perfect balance between the black and green. For me the treble doesn't have the peakiness both those filter had making vocals easier to understand in songs with alot of background instruments.

Though I've been flip flopping alot so who knows lol. I still like all the front filters except pink ofc. There's something going on for each one.

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #1,690 of 5,225
Very interesting - I've somehow left the filter tin at home today, but will try out the black backs when I get home. I've avoided them so far because I do like a bit of bass but keen to give them a try having read your take on them (may stay with black front for now though!)

On a different note, just borrowed the pair of Shozy Zeros that I'd given to a friend/colleague to compare soundstage. (Bear in mind this is red back, black front, spiral dots on the A4s)

I think the Zeros still just about have the edge on soundstage though, to be honest, I'm not 100% sure. Sounds like they're doing something funky with the positioning. But at least in terms of width, I think the difference is pretty minimal between the two.

Signature on the Zeros was pretty tough to listen to having had the A4s. A real lack of detail all round, in comparison. I think if one hasn't heard substantially better than the Zeros, they sound quite nice. But it's a little like going from a modern LED TV back to an old CRT set. The picture's all there, and it's not terrible, just a lot less defined in all aspects.

Given the difference in price, I think that's a good thing - I'd be a bit disappointed if there was little difference between the two earphones!

I'm surprised that so many people hear great soundstage width on the Zeros, that wasn't my impression with them at all. I actually find them to be quite intimate sounding bit with good layering and depth.

Just goes to show how different we all hear things :)

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #1,693 of 5,225
I'm still eagerly waiting for some measurements of every often used filters. Brokoo like measurements would be heaven and it would be so interesting. : ) 

I'm sure Hisoundfi will do it when he get time. No pressure Vince :wink:

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #1,694 of 5,225
I'm surprised that so many people hear great soundstage width on the Zeros, that wasn't my impression with them at all. I actually find them to be quite intimate sounding bit with good layering and depth.

Just goes to show how different we all hear things
smily_headphones1.gif

I believe this aspect of perception (or rather variance) can be due to different sources we use. So far, I hear things differently with my xuelin 770 DAP + Alo Rx versus say Shanling M3 Dap. So far the M3 sounds not so diffuse even though it offers a slightly larger dimension in imaging. I'm no expert in outputs and DACs but who knows right?

@thugangel123  - I don't think we're going to generalize in saying the grey ones are bad, I think the beauty behind the A4 is that you really get to see what works superbly well with your setup and adjust according to taste. :wink:

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #1,695 of 5,225

Do not try this at home folks...
Might not go anywhere with it.
Dry mids with no shine. You'll love this if you totally hate bass or large soundstages.

Another reason why the A4 is great....because it does not discriminate...people with different tastes.
Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back