LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 8, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #1,426 of 5,225
I personally didn't have a problem with the quality of the stock ear tips.  Just size.  I am a little in between sizes unless I use a deeper insertion.  

Jan 8, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #1,427 of 5,225
Still looking forward to your impression of the Green filters peter123 :) no rush though! :wink:

Oh, I've been to busy to post.

I've used the green front black back for the last couple of weeks (albeit I haven't had too much time listening because of Christmas and family stuff).

I like the combination quite a bit and the forward midrange this combo gives would normally be my preferred signature. Despite this, and despite the fact that it sounds really good, I can't help feeling that soundstage width is suffering a bit in this combination. I'm a sucker for wide soundstage (as long as it's combined with a good sense of 3D presentation) so I will probably return to the black back and red front filters again and see how it feels after getting some more listening time with the black/green combo.

Jan 8, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #1,428 of 5,225
Oh, I've been to busy to post.

I've used the green front black back for the last couple of weeks (albeit I haven't had too much time listening because of Christmas and family stuff).

I like the combination quite a bit and the forward midrange this combo gives would normally be my preferred signature. Despite this, and despite the fact that it sounds really good, I can't help feeling that soundstage width is suffering a bit in this combination. I'm a sucker for wide soundstage (as long as it's combined with a good sense of 3D presentation) so I will probably return to the black back and red front filters again and see how it feels after getting some more listening time with the black/green combo.

I myself have been thoroughly enjoying the black front black back. Really relaxing sounding configuration and the lower treble gets a little dash of energy and refinement. Very very versatile and the filters are really really well implemented!

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #1,429 of 5,225
Yeah the Biflange and Black/Blue combo didn't last long. Been listening to the Magaosi K3 last few days, going back to the A4 it was too bass light and treble just a tad too much.

Changed tips back to ML Spiral Dots again. Changed front to Black. To make one more addition I followed Indigo Bob's advice and put the Kombi foam on the inside of the Dots. Def helps seal. Very Content with this setup as of now.

Jan 8, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #1,430 of 5,225

I'm confused on the combos that provide the best soundstage and most 3D representation with A4?
Does decreasing range of frequency from low to high end somehow widen the soundstage
Black/b has less low end extension than Red
Red/f has less high end extension than green/f
It so hard for me to figure what to expect from a given combo and gets difficult to figure out which combo ultimately has tthe right amount of bass/high end with best 3D sounstage at for me ?

Jan 8, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #1,431 of 5,225
I'm confused on the combos that provide the best soundstage and most 3D representation with A4?
Does decreasing range of frequency from low to high end somehow widen the soundstage
Black/b has less low end extension than Red
Red/f has less high end extension than green/f
It so hard for me to figure what to expect from a given combo and gets difficult to figure out which combo ultimately has tthe right amount of bass/high end with best 3D sounstage at for me ?

Typically a mid-centric presentation will give a more narrow presentation (naturally) and the green tips to me gives the most mid-centric presentation.

In my experience the filters change not only bass and treble extension but it's more complicated than that. That's why I think it's more important to listen and make up an opinion than just looking at the charts. I hope this makes sense.

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #1,432 of 5,225
peter12345 nealh
I personally found that green front filters (with red bass filters) provided the most groove oriented and most energetic presentation. It was probably the most bombastic size representation of instruments.

The moment I got into the grey, red and pink the stage became even less wide, hence why in my experience, the green fronts were a good balance of instrument weight and overall wideness of stage.

I remember some posts ago, asking about everyone's sources because this will also influence end result/perception. I haven't been using the blue front filters simply because they felt rather diffuse for my taste (though I am certain they are really nice for things like classical). I'm familiar with the green and black front filters since I have been enjoying them so much.

I do not refer to the "graphs" at this point, since they may create a false strong assumption on frequency roll offs...

Lastly I wanted to ask you guys if you perceive a main difference between the Red and Grey front filters - thanks for the input.

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #1,433 of 5,225
Hmm. The filters are gift and a sin at the same time. So many options. Trying to pin it down seems impossible. My tastes seem change with each option suggested. LOL

Now I need to go back and try black/b and red/f and the red/b and red/f.

I agree 100% the chart gives some info but not everything. Really says nothing about the soundstage and 3D presentation.

Jan 8, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #1,434 of 5,225
I switched tips to the large spirals from the installed tips and OMG!! Don't know why I didn't do it earlier except that they were sounding ok..to me it's like a brand new pair of IEM..everything increased, Bass, soundstage, Detail, overall sound quality! Tips are so very important! Medium insertion don't hurt my ear canals..With the black/back green/front filter combo it's coming close to the best I've got which would be JVC850 and UM3X of which both cost me almost twice as much...of course nothing I've heard beats the resolution on JVC850...imo...Really not trying to hype A4 but dang, they really are amazing!! Plus it ain't hype if it's real right? Tempted to switch to Red/back but afraid the bass will be too much also cuz I'm just Lovin the Black/f Green/b...to be continued....

Jan 8, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #1,435 of 5,225
I switched tips to the large spirals from the installed tips and OMG!! Don't know why I didn't do it earlier except that they were sounding ok..to me it's like a brand new pair of IEM..everything increased, Bass, soundstage, Detail, overall sound quality! Tips are so very important! Medium insertion don't hurt my ear canals..With the black/back green/front filter combo it's coming close to the best I've got which would be JVC850 and UM3X of which both cost me almost twice as much...of course nothing I've heard beats the resolution on JVC850...imo...Really not trying to hype A4 but dang, they really are amazing!! Plus it ain't hype if it's real right? Tempted to switch to Red/back but afraid the bass will be too much also cuz I'm just Lovin the Black/f Green/b...to be continued....

Spiral dots?

Lol. These filter combos are indescribable. I back to Red/b and Black/f with wide bore tip from Auvio. I previously felt the black/f subdued the higher end a bit with these wide bore tips that's not the case at all. Really good combo tips and filters.

Jan 8, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #1,436 of 5,225

Yeee, I love me some spiral dot tips.Much better than the spin fits IMO, which dampens treble and congests the soundstage, making the A4 sound too warm and narrow.

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #1,437 of 5,225
Spiral dots?

Lol. These filter combos are indescribable. I back to Red/b and Black/f with wide bore tip from Auvio. I previously felt the black/f subdued the higher end a bit with these wide bore tips that's not the case at all. Really good combo tips and filters.

Yes the spiral dots! I have some auvio tips but not going to try them cuz the spiral dots sound almost perfect for my ears and I'm loving the fit..Plus this filter and tip changing is going to make me crazier than I already am and that I don't need..LOL

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #1,438 of 5,225

I also recently changed to spirals. Was listening to green front, red back, foam tips. Swapped to blue front, no back, spirals and it's pretty damn nice. Maybe...maybe...the high end is a little hot but there are a lot of details (especially subtle reverb) that I'm hearing with this set up that I have simply never noticed before.

The only downside for me is that the SDs are not quite as comfortable as the foam tips - my ears complain a little. I DID try adding the foam inside the Dots but they felt HUGE in my ears - perhaps I need to try with smaller foam inserts.

One thing's for sure, the LZ A4 are a fiddler's dream - so much tinkering to be done!!! And such lovely results to behold!

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #1,439 of 5,225
Yes the spiral dots! I have some auvio tips but not going to try them cuz the spiral dots sound almost perfect for my ears and I'm loving the fit..Plus this filter and tip changing is going to make me crazier than I already am and that I don't need..LOL

I was curious. I'm waiting on Spiral dots to arrive.

I agree between filter combos and tips, I'm going crazy in a good way. I just to find the right combo and be happy. Is that possible or will I be changing filters forever. Everyday there is another combo

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #1,440 of 5,225
I also recently changed to spirals. Was listening to green front, red back, foam tips. Swapped to blue front, no back, spirals and it's pretty damn nice. Maybe...maybe...the high end is a little hot but there are a lot of details (especially subtle reverb) that I'm hearing with this set up that I have simply never noticed before.

The only downside for me is that the SDs are not quite as comfortable as the foam tips - my ears complain a little. I DID try adding the foam inside the Dots but they felt HUGE in my ears - perhaps I need to try with smaller foam inserts.

One thing's for sure, the LZ A4 are a fiddler's dream - so much tinkering to be done!!! And such lovely results to behold!

Yep the Large Spiral dots fit perfectly with Shallow-medium insertion..no ear pain and great seal...they almost disappeared and the sound quality was superb..Amazing Earphones very versatile!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back