LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 13, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #3,407 of 5,225
You could probably sharpen up a basketball needle and screw it in place of the nozzle and just do the sound intraveinious luckily you have two arms for both channels....

This method is for the hard core audio enthusiast.

:grinning::grinning: TWIN

Mar 13, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #3,408 of 5,225
Any links to those video/audio recordings?. I love listening to the stuff you have posted to better understand what I'm listening to in the qualities that they provide

Sure thing - here is the Garanca / Netrebko - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9NK-EbUAao

And another one I also use - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdc2zNgJIpY

And here is McKennitt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdZO2Au0pqE&list=RDUdZO2Au0pqE
The recording from the venue is better.

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #3,409 of 5,225

Collin - one of the tracks I use is Amber Rubarth's "Tundra".  It's binaural, and because there aren't a lot of instruments, it is a very good test track for stage width and height - and also imaging.  What's more - if you check this video you can get a good idea for how everything was placed during the recording:

Okay Brooko, I listened to that song and almost flew out of my seat thinking someone was pounding a drum in my office. That was COOL!

So, one more newbie question if you don't mind: let's say I heard the drum in front of me and to the right, I could literally close my eyes and place it EXACTLY where it was on the stage. Is this feeling sound stage, or imaging? 

After writing reviews and owning 50+ pairs of headphones over the years, I kind of feel like a race car driver asking "what does that stick shift thingy right there do again?"

-Collin-

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #3,410 of 5,225
To me sound-stage refers to the overall size - height, width, depth - of the imagined or portrayed stage by the headphones.  Often people will describe a very wide stage - but my preference is always to have both width and depth (you should be able to portray space to the front of you and it should be in proportion to the side).  HD600 has often been described as having a small stage projection - but one of its greatest abilities is to have a great sense of both width and depth.  On the other hand many of the AKG's I've owned have a tremendous width, but narrower depth.  This makes them (for me at least) slightly more artificial sounding.

Imaging is the placement of the instruments within the sound-stage, and how accurate that can be. So as long as you know visually the location of the instruments relative to the singer - you can then get a feel how accurately the headphone is able to convey that. Do you get the same sense of directional cues?  What about the sense of distance?  And are the instruments accurately placed and clearly defined, or is there a sense of smearing or losing direction?  Thats where videos come in quite handy.  If its the same recording then you can get a good sense of what is supposed to be going on.

Tundra is really good for a sense of stage.  Some of the other tracks are better for imaging.

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #3,411 of 5,225
A good song (sadly sans video) for me in terms of imaging had always been "Better Man" by Leon Bridges - on the right set of equipment, you get a real sense of the room the track was recorded in, with things like saxophone drifting in from the side and slightly behind you, for instance.

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #3,412 of 5,225
Something strange happened to the cable of my A4. The part beneath the right driver become very very stiff, almost have a plastic stick kind of feeling, the length of that abnormality is about 10 cm. The rest of the cable is ok.

Does this happened to anyone else? 

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #3,413 of 5,225
  Something strange happened to the cable of my A4. The part beneath the right driver become very very stiff, almost have a plastic stick kind of feeling, the length of that abnormality is about 10 cm. The rest of the cable is ok.

Does this happened to anyone else? 

Did it somehow get very hot?

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #3,415 of 5,225
A good song (sadly sans video) for me in terms of imaging had always been "Better Man" by Leon Bridges - on the right set of equipment, you get a real sense of the room the track was recorded in, with things like saxophone drifting in from the side and slightly behind you, for instance.

such a good album, for a first effort. Have you had the chance to hear Charles Bradley'a Changes album? slightly different, though soulful as well.

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #3,416 of 5,225
Okay Brooko, I listened to that song and almost flew out of my seat thinking someone was pounding a drum in my office. That was COOL!

So, one more newbie question if you don't mind: let's say I heard the drum in front of me and to the right, I could literally close my eyes and place it EXACTLY where it was on the stage. Is this feeling sound stage, or imaging? 

After writing reviews and owning 50+ pairs of headphones over the years, I kind of feel like a race car driver asking "what does that stick shift thingy right there do again?"

-Collin-

Try the binaural test on this page:

http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #3,417 of 5,225
If you guys can believe it i ve got LZ A4 for a month now and havent opened  the box yet to test them !!!!!
What is wrong with me anyway?
confused.gif

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #3,418 of 5,225
  If you guys can believe it i ve got LZ A4 for a month now and havent opened  the box yet to test them !!!!!
What is wrong with me anyway?
confused.gif

You're obviously not on tour and have probably passed up any return policy, hope you love them
rolleyes.gif

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #3,419 of 5,225

You're obviously not on tour and have probably passed up any return policy, hope you love them
rolleyes.gif

REALLY HOPE THAT TOO....
Propably subconcsiously i dont wanna be dissapinted there....(Using mostly lately DUNU DN2000 & FIDUE A73 iems.....)
redface.gif

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #3,420 of 5,225
REALLY HOPE THAT TOO....
Propably subconcsiously i dont wanna be dissapinted there....(Using mostly lately DUNU DN2000 & FIDUE A73 iems.....):xf_eek:

the Dunu dn2000 is quite nice, even if there are "newer" hybrids; it's all in the tuning. the A4 is lovely,lovely complement to what you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back