LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 29, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #2,251 of 5,225
Are you making the case for leaving sexist, or otherwise inappropriate posts stay up on the forums, while insisting the people who have an issue with inappropriate posts resort to private messages? 

There is an undeniable trend of sexism in audiophile - it's not egregious, it's not super blatant, but it's there, and the culture needs to change.  When the discourse on Head-fi is presumed that users are all male, it creates a subtle but unwelcoming environment to women.   Trying to sweep it under the rug as you are suggesting is not the solution.  The reason sexism and other intolerant attitudes (even if they are just jokes) need to be called out publicly, is because that is the only way people will change their behavior.   In this particular situation, I would say it's pretty minor and innocuous, so I'm not going to belabour it anymore.   Personally I wasn't offended, but if on Head-fi we are expected to be sensitive about what we say so as not to insult anyone's favourite headphone, I don't think it's too much to ask to be sensitive to half the human population.  

No need to stirr up a debate that's not related to the thread, just hit the flag button...

Jan 29, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #2,252 of 5,225
Are you making the case for leaving sexist, or otherwise inappropriate posts stay up on the forums, while insisting the people who have an issue with inappropriate posts resort to private messages? 

There is an undeniable trend of sexism in audiophile - it's not egregious, it's not super blatant, but it's there, and the culture needs to change.  When the discourse on Head-fi is presumed that users are all male, it creates a subtle but unwelcoming environment to women.   Trying to sweep it under the rug as you are suggesting is not the solution.  The reason sexism and other intolerant attitudes (even if they are just jokes) need to be called out publicly, is because that is the only way people will change their behavior.   In this particular situation, I would say it's pretty minor and innocuous, so I'm not going to belabour it anymore.   Personally I wasn't offended, but if on Head-fi we are expected to be sensitive about what we say so as not to insult anyone's favourite headphone, I don't think it's too much to ask to be sensitive to half the human population.  

Use the flag button. You're the one who is trying to stir up a debate. Original commentor apologized. End of story. Nobody else is making inappropriate comments. Please try to keep the thread about lz-a4.

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #2,254 of 5,225
So Willowbrook, did you end up opening up the lz-a4?  If so, I remain interested in your thoughts vs. the FLC8S.   Fuyu seems to have gravitated to the a4 though his early notes (see the graphs he just linked to) seem to favor the FLC8S.

I thought FUYU still had an overall preference to the A4.

I also would like to know your thoughts williwbrook. The FLC8S is still high on my list of wants. Pricier than the A4 so not a direct competitor but always interested in the comparison.
FLC8S sounds really nice due to 3D holographic soundstage

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #2,255 of 5,225

I also would like to know your thoughts williwbrook. The FLC8S is still high on my list of wants. Pricier than the A4 so not a direct competitor but always interested in the comparison.

If you find one used at a good price,go for it. The vocals are addictive. Details are so upfront, you can hear female vocals plus the saliva on their mouth. You may think I'm kidding but yeah, that's the Flc8s. Not sure how the saliva adds to the music but yeah that's next echelon details there. A4 ain't no slouch, especially for sub 200$.

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #2,256 of 5,225
So Willowbrook, did you end up opening up the lz-a4?  If so, I remain interested in your thoughts vs. the FLC8S.   Fuyu seems to have gravitated to the a4 though his early notes (see the graphs he just linked to) seem to favor the FLC8S.

Ah, it seems you didn't get my message. I let go of my flc8s to fund for andromeda and couldn't afford to have the a4 with me. I'm thinking of getting a used pair of a4 to have as outdoor use and a backup. Once in a while, I see some issues with the mmcx socket and drivers failing, so I'm still on the fence. Flc8s was very reliable to say the least.

I'm just not experiencing the same hype locally compared to the flc8s. Flc8s has gained reputation for being a classic in tunable hybrid department with many reviews and 'wow' moments, but even after a few weeks of big group buys for the a4, no detailed reviews or praising like the flc8s. Current or previous owners of flc8s who got the a4 just like to recommend the a4 as having "excellent value" since it's only around $200 as opposed to the msrp of flc8s. As of right now, I haven't found anything that tells me a4 is a must get for flc8s users. No where to audition them either.

Sorry to disappoint, but once I open that a4 box, I would have lost at least $40 to resell it.

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #2,257 of 5,225
If you find one used at a good price,go for it. The vocals are addictive. Details are so upfront, you can hear female vocals plus the saliva on their mouth. You may think I'm kidding but yeah, that's the Flc8s. Not sure how the saliva adds to the music but yeah that's next echelon details there. A4 ain't no slouch, especially for sub 200$.

I have not looked hard but I don't see many people selling them as I'm sure they're very happy with the sound

If I do find one at good price, I will purchase it. But that's a big if

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #2,258 of 5,225
It was mentioned a lot on this thread that a4 and flc8s has their own advantages and I guess the only way to know which is the one for you is to get it yourself hehe. So many variables such as favorable sound sig, source, tips, music genre, and filter combo come in to play for the tunable hybrids, I assume it's very hard to make a detailed comparison even for the people who has both the a4 and flc8s.

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #2,259 of 5,225
I assume it's very hard to make a detailed comparison even for the people who has both the a4 and flc8s.

Even with the filters and all that stuff, every IEM has a certain tuning that's just slightly varied by changing the filters. Best way to compare would apply sets of filters that would have certain effects like neutrality, bass bomb etc... Like FUYU did in his review. I'd gladly do another comparison, because I was eyeing the FLC8, too. But first I have to save some money for that :D

Or... FUYU are you still living in Munich?

Jan 30, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #2,260 of 5,225
Even with the filters and all that stuff, every IEM has a certain tuning that's just slightly varied by changing the filters. Best way to compare would apply sets of filters that would have certain effects like neutrality, bass bomb etc... Like FUYU did in his review. I'd gladly do another comparison, because I was eyeing the FLC8, too. But first I have to save some money for that :D

Or... FUYU are you still living in Munich?

Yep, still living in Munich.

I prefer the FLC8s due to the myself swaying to more neutral signatures. I use both regularly. They compliment each other rather nicely.
A4 is my choice with hip-hop, jazz and some acoustic.

Jan 30, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #2,261 of 5,225
It was mentioned a lot on this thread that a4 and flc8s has their own advantages and I guess the only way to know which is the one for you is to get it yourself hehe. So many variables such as favorable sound sig, source, tips, music genre, and filter combo come in to play for the tunable hybrids, I assume it's very hard to make a detailed comparison even for the people who has both the a4 and flc8s.

Hm. From impressions alone, I would gladly say that one is akin to attending a Broadway (say Les Miserables) and the other, a Feli Kuti (or James Brown) live show. If one were were to buy both iems, that pretty much covers TONS of ground. Plus that's lots tweaking hours...imagine someone having to review both :S

Jan 30, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #2,262 of 5,225
Hm. From impressions alone, I would gladly say that one is akin to attending a Broadway (say Les Miserables) and the other, a Feli Kuti (or James Brown) live show. If one were were to buy both iems, that pretty much covers TONS of ground. Plus that's lots tweaking hours...imagine someone having to review both :S

The problem with trying to write a review (for me, at least, as I have been trying to get one started in between my other commitments for weeks!) is the number of good filter combinations.

Usually it's easier to sift through the combos, eliminate the chaff and concentrate on the few that appeal to your own sonic preferences, but every time someone pops a new combo on here, it normally has something to recommend it sonically. Will definitely get a review up at some point in Feb, but no idea when! :wink:

Jan 30, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #2,263 of 5,225
Fwiw I purchased the penon audio BT cable with MMCX connector and should be receiving it tomorrow or Tuesday. I will post my thoughts on how it works with the A4
The cable was $20. I use an iPhone 7 so Aptx is not important. The specs did not mention that codec. It did mention AAC and SBC
I know lurker650 has one that he gave to his girlfriend while he had not used it much, he thoughts seemed general positive.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed it will be a nice option to have

FWIW I've got one as well and I'm very happy with it.

Jan 30, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #2,264 of 5,225
[Mod Comment]

There was a little "tizz" in the last few pages - and some have chosen to label some of the posts sexist.

Here's the problem - because so many posters decided to discuss it amongst themselves - if I go back to prune the offending posts, I then have to go back and prune every post that carried it on putting their own two cents worth in.

• If something is getting off-topic, flag it and don't respond
  • If something is offensive, flag it and don't respond

For now - I am just delivering a general warning. If I have to go back and prune, I am going to be grumpy - because I'll have to take out about 40 or 50 posts which may take me an hour by the time I track them all down.  When I get grumpy - I tend to get a little sharp.  I would prefer to stay serene.  So if no-one objects, I'll leave the thread as-is, and you guys can quit with the continued off topic.  OK.

And some of you senior guys should know better!

Jan 30, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #2,265 of 5,225
The problem with trying to write a review (for me, at least, as I have been trying to get one started in between my other commitments for weeks!) is the number of good filter combinations.

Usually it's easier to sift through the combos, eliminate the chaff and concentrate on the few that appeal to your own sonic preferences, but every time someone pops a new combo on here, it normally has something to recommend it sonically. Will definitely get a review up at some point in Feb, but no idea when! :wink:

You'd have to try the Blue+Grey combo...for mids sake. Use bass boost/as if you have to. The layering on that is pretty spectacular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back