LZ-A3 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 2, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #751 of 790
. I thought the only difference between A3 and A3S was the color.  I've read a lot of this thread since, and see there is a slight difference.  For the record, I have the A3S, and I'm still quite impressed with it!
[/quote]
so I assume that you actually have both a3 and a3s. deeper bass in a3 I assume too..

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #752 of 790
RedJohn, the a3s has more bass than the sw3? I thought that the sw3 was a bass monster.

Way more from SW3 thread impressions. Seeing you on the basshead thread, SW3 is one to look at.

Oct 7, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #753 of 790
Been looking at these A3S alot and finally bit the bullet and ordered one its going to be a while before they get there but ill be sure to post my impressions. Ill be using a chord mojo so source wont be a problem im guessing and i dont have the vanilla LZ A3 to compare it with but im sure itss be a good go. From reading this thread all the impressions of it having a well rounded non fatiguing house sound drew me to it. Looks kick ass for the price for sure.

Oct 8, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #754 of 790
  Been looking at these A3S alot and finally bit the bullet and ordered one its going to be a while before they get there but ill be sure to post my impressions. Ill be using a chord mojo so source wont be a problem im guessing and i dont have the vanilla LZ A3 to compare it with but im sure itss be a good go. From reading this thread all the impressions of it having a well rounded non fatiguing house sound drew me to it. Looks kick ass for the price for sure.

My A3 went well with MOJO while I had it...

Working on a geek theory 'hack' to get close to my old MOJO which I had to sell on...
= HRT microStreamer and iPurifier2 (currently saving for it).

microStreamer and MOJO are similar kin... WRT tonality and micro-detail/musicality balance.....

iPurifier2 will hopefully bring up the microStreamer's imaging/jet black background/3D placement as that is where MOJO takes the lead...if correct the small HRT microStreamer DAC and iPurifier2 should fit in my chest sling with phone and UAPP and power IEMs well enough.

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #755 of 790
Good to know :D ill be using these as a stop gap until i get my CIEMs refitted and pretty excited to see what these can do. I like the high end stuff sure but its alot of fun so see what bargen gear can do.

Oct 8, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #756 of 790
So for those not using a balanced source what are some good mmcx cables for single ended sources?

Oct 8, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #757 of 790
  So for those not using a balanced source what are some good mmcx cables for single ended sources?

I have OCC MMCX cables on the way. I don't like using SPC cables which seem to come with all these hybrids.
Pm if you want the link.

Oct 10, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #758 of 790
Just received my LZ A3, not even burned-in , listening straight out of the box... with Fidle balanced cable/ 2.5mm jack on AK70...
only one word : GREAT .

biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #759 of 790
Thats great to know Addict! 
biggrin.gif
  How does it compare to the rest of your collection?

To any member of the thread are there any small desktop amps for balanced output id like to try it out feeding it with line out from my mojo.

Oct 11, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #760 of 790

LZ-A3 is a lot more detailed and refined the, LZ-A2s.
bass is deep and will still improve with burn-in.
Just did 12 hours of white noise -12Db and 12 hours of pink noise 12 hours. It takes more time to burn-in than A2s ( because more drivers maybe )
Medium is rich and detailed 
Treble is a little bit rolled off so far...
Dynamic has not yet reached my older A2s. 
Just listened to a $1000 balanced IEMS to compare ,  A3 is really good ... and cheap , i know it will improve further ...
Balanced Fidue cable is a perfect match for Astell&Kern 2,5mm balanced jack output.

One minor default is the ear plugs packed with LZ- A3 and A2 : just craps...

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #761 of 790
Do you not think going balanced knocks the SQ off A3 and flattens the sound-stage depth on hybrids ? It makes the sound-stage wider but flat as a pancake for whatever reason as I heard it.

I did not like A3S on balanced output one bit....time-consuming cable conversion.

Reverted the cable back to single-end and everything great came back to the way it was, to my ears anyway....depth/width/multi-unit synergy.
I'm not sure, but I think the multi-ohm settings on the internal units + cross-over get their impedance curve knocked off on balanced maybe....

Only ever sounded better to me on single-unit per-ear planars going balanced (flat impedance on planars does not affect the FR as I understand it).

Oct 11, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #762 of 790
I'll definitely be running mine single ended. Hopefully my new optical cable arrives first so i can test it out as i found optical input wayyyyy better than my usb input on mojo.

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #763 of 790
  I'll definitely be running mine single ended. Hopefully my new optical cable arrives first so i can test it out as i found optical input wayyyyy better than my usb input on mojo.

Yeah, as long as you already know the style of A3 and are after that kind of presentation, they are killer for the price.

Oct 12, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #764 of 790

LZ-A3 I have spent time comparing balanced cable (Fidue) versus original asymmetrical .

When using the 2.5mm jack balanced output of my ASTELLnKERN AK70 i am really impressed  by the noticeable improvement over standard 3,5mm asymmetrical output:

- BASS are much deeper and refined : you can distinguish clearly the lower bass from the upper ones, especially when you have heavy bass recording , it is amazing how many types of bass you can now distinguish. Dynamic is far better and nearer from the original impact of the instruments .Also more space between instruments.
- MEDIUM is a lot more detailed with many textures and types of sounds you almost cannot hear when using standard asymmetrical between 1 and 4Khz it's one of the best medium i have heard on IEMs , (i am very sensitive to those frequencies) it is precised and also rich and space is very realistic. the continuity of harmonics with the bass register is much better than with standard cable. 

Oct 14, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #765 of 790
Just arrived in enough package padding to survival an airdrop here are some picks

I love the packaging its simple and clean and it comes with alot in the box too

Initial impressions (just got them literally started listening as making this post so take with as much salt as you'd like)

very very smooth and dry sounding are what comes to mind immediately when listening to my first track Ticon Mirage original mix (first track)
the treble doesn't have as much extension/clarity as the CIEMs but it is by no means a slouch as treble is smooth and quick yet gentle in impact

the second track Out foxed gives me a look as its decay and it isn't as natural sounding as the CT-6E
The track I'm listening to now Behind the Wall gives an excellent sense of pacing rhythm and imaging.

For 3 tracks listened I'm very impressed and i haven't settled on my tip of choice yet (didn't like the stock tips and am currently using the red core tips LRG as I'm write this.

I must say it isn't quiet apples to apples my ciem is a 6BA custom and i just got in literally at the same time as these arrived my new optical cable for my mojo (which i vastly preferred to USB from memory since my last cable broke) so the optical input is definitely coming to play which in of itself reflects to the ability these iems can scale with great sources.

Ill be burning them in and give my more fleshed out thoughts but i am smiling and tapping my toes which is a very good thing 
tongue.gif

edited for crappy spelling and continuity 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back