Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Jan 20, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #3,031 of 3,350
There are other Furmans with 13 sockets.
Yeah, I couldn't afford to go to expensive right at this time I picked up a WAudio Noise filter, it has 8 filtered and 4 direct plug ins and I have a Furman SS6B with 6 plug ins working together, they seem to be doing the job for now.

Jan 20, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #3,032 of 3,350
Yeah, I couldn't afford to go to expensive right at this time I picked up a WAudio Noise filter, it has 8 filtered and 4 direct plug ins and I have a Furman SS6B with 6 plug ins working together, they seem to be doing the job for now.
You are set up. It’s probably better to have 2 ‘smaller’ units than 1 megalon. More flexibility in hooking gear up.

Jan 20, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #3,033 of 3,350
Oh good grief. This topic has probably stirred more flame wars than everything else combined in the entire history of the internet. And every last one has ended up exactly the same way: those that don't think a power cord can make a sonic difference continue to think a power cord can't make a sonic difference, and those that do continue to, well, do.

Everyone can thank me later for saving them all the typing in between. :laughing:
Now, about those power cords that go into a ‘sideways’ h/p/a…🤨

Jan 21, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #3,034 of 3,350
Feature attractions coming soon to a Lyr ‘nyr’ me…4E90D190-6A38-4881-86EA-CFB622614635.jpegAF9A2755-ABF2-4D09-A79B-B5835119A240.jpeg
Cool! :L3000:
Now an adapter for 6SN7 to 6922 and a noval extender and the Vali2 is good to go too :sunglasses::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jan 21, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #3,035 of 3,350
I've never heard a power cord make a difference in the sound, but some fit more snugly than others. And as all my equipment is on 3 racks with casters and I make enough changes a year requiring moving the racks around... . But I bought the cheapest in the line and stick to 14 gauge as that's the same size as the Romex in the walls.

I've never heard a digital cable make a difference in the sound. IC's sometimes yes, sometimes no. HP cables show me more consistent differences in sound. I think this might expend to speaker cables as well but I'm happy with Blue Jeans and don't want to spend the big bucks to "experiment" with others and most of my listening is with HP's so....

Perceived build quality, flexibility and aesthetics also play a role for me as well as the ability to cleanly dress them away from other cables and secure them in place The right combination of flexabilty and stiffness, some point in between the two extremes. When I substitute gear the plugs are always in the same spot ready to hook in with no adjustments needed.

The two pieces of gear I have that are highly susceptible to even the least amount of power interruption for any reason requiring a reboot are my 2 Yggdrasil's. I've reached the point where I turn them completely off when I make a change and turn them back on when the stands are back in their permanent place. The plugs are always firmly seated so I'm not sure what's going on.

Here's an old pic of one of my 2 rigs from 2018, things change up over time.
1642767521275.png

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #3,036 of 3,350
I'm curious, regarding your power cable. https://www.pangeaaudio.com/NEW-PGAC14-1.5

The city electrical grid is made by the lowest bid to the presented specs.

It's carried to your home/apartment, where the wiring was graded and installed by the cheapest bid.

How is a very expensive power cable reaching from the wall to your equipment going to make a difference?
EMI... I dont expect sonic difference, however it did help with EMI. You do you, I will do me.

Jan 21, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #3,037 of 3,350
I've got a new to me Lyr3 coming next week!
But I don't have any 6SN7s to roll.
If anyone has a few tubes they want to unload, send me a message. I'm looking for quality and dead quiet, not a bunch of noisy rejects.

Jan 21, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #3,038 of 3,350
Now, about those power cords that go into a ‘sideways’ h/p/a…🤨
I just order them with a right-angle plug. The 90 degree turn speeds up the electrons and helps shear off any noise molecules that may be clinging to them. :laughing:

Jan 22, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #3,039 of 3,350
"noise molecules" Well done. Who said snark hasn't an upside?

Could there be a better name for a band (maybe punk)? I think I may have to take a trip in the way back machine.

I'd trademark that name at the earliest opportunity. (not kidding)

Jan 22, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #3,040 of 3,350
"noise molecules" Well done. Who said snark hasn't an upside?

Could there be a better name for a band (maybe punk)? I think I may have to take a trip in the way back machine.

I'd trademark that name at the earliest opportunity. (not kidding)
Toad the Wet Sprocket needed some of those!

Jan 22, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #3,042 of 3,350
I've detected some differences in power cables - but for me they happen in rooms with stone walls (exterior) and concrete floors. Must be an insulation thing because in other envs doesn't happen.

In the mid 90's I went to a dealers house/showroom and heard a system with with 5 $5k each cables installed
I brought along my used Synergistics and it was the same sound as the ones costing 20x more - last time I spent for a power cord that wasn't generic - 26 years ago. Also for the first time heard the Verity Parsifal - a great speaker I later owned.

Do you know your home wiring? Aluminium? Oxidized? How about the local transformer? Nice and new or one that crackles in the rain? 1, 2, 3 miles to the source? How does 1 or 2 meters of wire make up for shortfalls?

BTW 90 degrees no good... Only a golden ratio shape has the proper karma so no electrons are lost.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #3,044 of 3,350
Jan 22, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #3,045 of 3,350
Do you know your home wiring? Aluminium? Oxidized? How about the local transformer? Nice and new or one that crackles in the rain? 1, 2, 3 miles to the source? How does 1 or 2 meters of wire make up for shortfalls?

BTW 90 degrees no good... Only a golden ratio shape has the proper karma so no electrons are lost.
90 degrees is much better than 180 degrees. Don't ask me how I know this. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back