Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Jan 16, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #3,001 of 3,350
Got my Psvane UK version installed yesterday. I actually managed to insert it wrong to begin with, it was 1 pin wrong clockwise. I am a idiot, thank goodness it didn't seem to make a connection because all is good and it neve responded when I powered it on. I assume that little "slot" thing would not let it install all the way, I was thinking it was hard to push in...smh Only had it on for about 10 seconds and saw it wasn't coming on so, pulled it and tried again. Been running it for the last 24 hours and it sounds fantastic!

Right out the box it was better - I could hear it in the bass and overall dynamics. Not to mention it doesn't pick up EMI as bad as the JJ tube was, it was super noisy in comparison. Everything about Psvane is better than the JJ, this is my one and only tube roll! I only look for it to improve as it burns in.
Congratulations! The Psvane tubes are great. Enjoy the tube rolling journey!

Jan 16, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #3,002 of 3,350
I am not sure how many tubes I will be rolling, I really just want to upgrade the things I can and leave it alone. I have a Loki EQ if I need to change the sound, and will probably upgrade to the Lokius at some point.

However I did just order this, just to get all the cables upgraded a bit.

https://www.pangeaaudio.com/NEW-PGAC14-1.5

Not expecting much audio change but, I do hope it will clean up the EMI a bit more. It's 14Gauge vs 18 gauge of the stock, and really the stock cable is just a generic $1 cable so it was worth an upgrade to me. There are tons of controversy on whether power cables change the sound so we will see, one can only try things and test for myself.

I use a Pangea USB cable for the DAC and it's been great I really like this company for higher end quality cables without breaking the bank.

https://www.pangeaaudio.com/Pangea-Audio-Premier-SE-USB-cable?quantity=1&length-metric=3

Also Pangea RCA Interconnects

https://www.pangeaaudio.com/Pangea-...CA?quantity=1&length-metric=2&pair-single=101

they have been amazing for EMI and they sound great, not saying they made a huge difference because I never did A / B testing but everything is clear and silent. they cleaned things up quite a bit from the Amazon ones I was using.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #3,003 of 3,350
I am not sure how many tubes I will be rolling, I really just want to upgrade the things I can and leave it alone. I have a Loki EQ if I need to change the sound, and will probably upgrade to the Lokius at some point.

However I did just order this, just to get all the cables upgraded a bit.

https://www.pangeaaudio.com/NEW-PGAC14-1.5

Not expecting much audio change but, I do hope it will clean up the EMI a bit more. It's 14Gauge vs 18 gauge of the stock, and really the stock cable is just a generic $1 cable so it was worth an upgrade to me. There are tons of controversy on whether power cables change the sound so we will see, one can only try things and test for myself.

I use a Pangea USB cable for the DAC and it's been great I really like this company for higher end quality cables without breaking the bank.

https://www.pangeaaudio.com/Pangea-Audio-Premier-SE-USB-cable?quantity=1&length-metric=3

Also Pangea RCA Interconnects

https://www.pangeaaudio.com/Pangea-...CA?quantity=1&length-metric=2&pair-single=101

they have been amazing for EMI and they sound great, not saying they made a huge difference because I never did A / B testing but everything is clear and silent. they cleaned things up quite a bit from the Amazon ones I was using.
• Pangea makes great cables! And they are inexpensive! I have a number of their Premier SE interconnects (RCA and XLR) 👍.
• Have you looked into a power conditioner / surge protector to which all your gear is plugged? That will put a definite end to EMI etc, lower the “noise floor”, increase dynamic range.

Jan 16, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #3,004 of 3,350
• Pangea makes great cables! And they are inexpensive! I have a number of their Premier SE interconnects (RCA and XLR) 👍.
• Have you looked into a power conditioner / surge protector to which all your gear is plugged? That will put a definite end to EMI etc, lower the “noise floor”, increase dynamic range.

I have considered it but, I am not sure I wanna spend that kind of money on the power. I do have a Pure Sine Wave UPS that the audio gear is plugged into along with my PC. That stabilizes the power and cleans it up quite a bit from the outlet. But you are right a true Audio Power Condition is the very best.

Jan 16, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #3,005 of 3,350
That's why I have their AC's on all my equipment. They appear to be of good materials and build and the connectors at both ends fit very snuggly, and as cables go, they are a bargain priced. I do use Furman's 15 PFi's on both my audio rigs, plenty of AC sockets, nice feature set.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #3,006 of 3,350
The Furman Elite-15i is what I have used for four+ years. It was designed by Garth Powell, now in charge of power conditioning engineering for Audioquest. The 15-i is slimline, has seven sockets, does its job, and is reasonably priced. 👍

Jan 16, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #3,007 of 3,350
I have considered it but, I am not sure I wanna spend that kind of money on the power. I do have a Pure Sine Wave UPS that the audio gear is plugged into along with my PC. That stabilizes the power and cleans it up quite a bit from the outlet. But you are right a true Audio Power Condition is the very best.
Looking at it another way, what you're really listening to is the AC coming out of the wall. The amp just modifies it into a signal your HP's understand...

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #3,008 of 3,350
New Power cable arrived!

Attachments

• PXL_20220119_184711173.jpg
    PXL_20220119_184711173.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Jan 19, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #3,009 of 3,350
+ 1 for Pangea power cords. All my gear uses their AC-15 14SE.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #3,010 of 3,350
+ 1 for Pangea power cords. All my gear uses their AC-15SE.
you mean, AC-14se? mine is AC-14... the SE is the next up.... unless you have a older model or something.

Jan 19, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #3,011 of 3,350
Oooops. Typo has been corrected. AC14SE. Thx!!

Jan 19, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #3,012 of 3,350
you mean, AC-14se? mine is AC-14... the SE is the next up.... unless you have a older model or something.
I got the original plain Jane 14 gauger's and 2 or 3 of the 14 SE for 1.5 and 2.0 meters.

Found this on the net, Pangea's line up back in 2018.

https://www.pangeaaudio.com/cables/power-cables?page=2

Pretty sure I got them when the prices were even lower and I look at it as a one time investment as they are reusable!

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #3,013 of 3,350
While we're on the topic, here's a Pangea collectible :grinning:. I bought 3 of these heavy duty 20 amp beauties a few years back. I only needed 2 but in this hobby you always need spares and backups. These came in 3 or 4 different colors if I remember correctly. I went with red so that in the event I should ever move I would know to take them with me.
They work perfectly holding the substantial Pangea, "He Man" style male plug prongs firmly.
They sold these at the audio jewelry price of $19.95 each!
They stopped offering them as far as I know.
1642634159563.png

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #3,014 of 3,350
While we're on the topic, here's a Pangea collectible :grinning:. I bought 3 of these heavy duty 20 amp beauties a few years back. I only needed 2 but in this hobby you always need spares and backups. These came in 3 or 4 different colors if I remember correctly. I went with red so that in the event I should ever move I would know to take them with me.
They work perfectly holding the substantial Pangea, "He Man" style male plug prongs firmly.
They sold these at the audio jewelry price of $19.95 each!
They stopped offering them as far as I know.
1642634159563.png
wow, that's cool! looks like there is a updated version.

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGNPRSE

Jan 20, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #3,015 of 3,350
Just got my Lyr 3 a few days ago and have been enjoying it quite a lot. In all honesty, it sounds pretty identical to my previous Vali 2, but the increase in build quality, along w/ the much nicer pot/volume control is very much worth it. Plus the increase in headroom is always nice. Any recommendations on a first tube to roll? It came w/ a JJ 6SN7 (which i'm assuming was stock.) Looking for something warmer if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back