Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Dec 30, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #1,741 of 3,350
Something strange is happening. Sound came and goes, and I hear a tiny clik like a relè switching on and off. Could be a overheating protection? But its winter , how can I manage Summer? Do I have to put a fan on it?

Not normal at all and unlikely heat related. Have you tried a different tube? Unplug your HPs and all sources and preamp out and see if it does this with nothing connected except tubes.

Definitely not normal. As Ripper says, verify it’s not something else (tube, DAC, HP, etc). Once you’re sure it’s the amp, request a return number from Schiit and send it back for repair. It takes about 3-4 weeks with shipping which sucks, but Schiit will take care of you.

Will

Edit: This is kind of obvious but also make sure you don’t have the Lyr on top of a heat source or enclosed in something that could over heat it (like in an unventilated enclosure). The unit should be fine in a 90 degree F space, but it is possible to overheat it if there’s no free air movement around it.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #1,743 of 3,350
Something strange is happening. Sound came and goes, and I hear a tiny clik like a relè switching on and off. Could be a overheating protection? But its winter , how can I manage Summer? Do I have to put a fan on it?

This would probably do the trick this summer. Shipping may be high though...

https://www.bigassfans.com/fans/powerfoil-x30/

upload_2018-12-30_17-38-37.png

Dec 31, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #1,744 of 3,350
Dec 31, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #1,746 of 3,350
Probably not. A fan that big could probably turn your house into a helicopter if you mounted it on the roof and fed it enough power.
This has just become a personal imperative. Must build helicopter house.

Dec 31, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #1,747 of 3,350
Dec 31, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #1,749 of 3,350
I think I've found who to blame! I've disabled windows 10 USB power management for the lyr port and it seem to be fine. Tell you more in a while.

Check which driver installed for Lyr 3 multibit, if it's the default that windows 10 chooses then search for upgrade, there is a better one, i was stuck with the default windows driver for ages without realising and after the upgrade sound was much better,

In device manager it should be listed as "Schiit USB Multibit" with driver version 10.0.12.10, that is the good driver.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #1,750 of 3,350
Check which driver installed for Lyr 3 multibit, if it's the default that windows 10 chooses then search for upgrade, there is a better one, i was stuck with the default windows driver for ages without realising and after the upgrade sound was much better,

In device manager it should be listed as "Schiit USB Multibit" with driver version 10.0.12.10, that is the good driver.

Done:
zh7yeLM.jpg

And happy New Year!!

Jan 1, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #1,752 of 3,350
Thanks for the Link graysohn. Very nice review.

Agreed, ETM's reviews are always a pleasure to read. As I own both pieces, its always nice to get others opinions on gear I'm familiar with.

Jan 1, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #1,753 of 3,350
Agreed, ETM's reviews are always a pleasure to read. As I own both pieces, its always nice to get others opinions on gear I'm familiar with.

I haven’t read any of ETM’s reviews before, but I liked reading it a lot, a very good and interesting review! As I understood, the Lyr3 used the stock NOS Russian tube during the review, which imho puts the it at a disadvantage compared to the new production Tung-Sol tube option it can also be ordered with. But still it came out on top :)

As you do have both, it would be interesting to know, what are your thoughts on Jot vs Lyr3?

Jan 1, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #1,754 of 3,350
I haven’t read any of ETM’s reviews before, but I liked reading it a lot, a very good and interesting review! As I understood, the Lyr3 used the stock NOS Russian tube during the review, which imho puts the it at a disadvantage compared to the new production Tung-Sol tube option it can also be ordered with. But still it came out on top :)

As you do have both, it would be interesting to know, what are your thoughts on Jot vs Lyr3?
I’ll chime in very briefly, as I did a good bit of listening to both pre-purchase (I live close to the Schiitr, which makes it easy). In general, because it’s been a few months, I found the Jot to be brighter in the treble range for me. It wasn’t harsh or anything, but the overall balance was better on Lyr 3, which had the NOS tube installed. Looking fwd to what @FLTWS has to say...

Jan 2, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #1,755 of 3,350
Dave Hanson's write ups are good too at ETM.

Jeremy's review is spot on. I like the little extra extension at the very top and bottom Jot gives but the sound stage and image is a little to up close and personal for my likes.

The LYR3 (and depending on your tube choice) backs me away from that up close perspective, generates more air and sets a more relaxed sound field which I prefer as it allows the music to breath a bit in its acoustic space. Especially with my predominantly classical leanings it gives me a better over all perspective and as I go live often it suits the sound the way I expect to hear it, somewhere off the stage rather than on it. Always a difficult trick as essentially the microphone positions are where your ears reside when listening to any recording.

I should also note that I'm an old tube guy for over 5 decades but always searching for a solid state alternative that can give me the best of both. Maybe never gonna' happen but it's as much about the journey as the end result for me and I enjoy the variety I've experienced over the years. And nothing I've heard reproduced touches the "live" experience.

I also find matching volume levels with an SPL meter to be critical for me when comparing two different components, I'm always surprised at how close two well designed piece will sound like another when I do that, especially when from the same designer / manufacturer.

I also take it as a given that the listening experience is different for everyone. My friends could care less if it's a high-rez download or a lossy MP-3. Not everyone wants to listen that hard to hear subtle differences and nuances and imaging and sound stage capabilities. And even among the cognoscenti there is no uniformity of agreement on what sounds correct.

A few posters have had some problems using LYR3. I'm not one (so far and that includes a Schiit-load of NOS as well as NNS tubes, nor with any of my many Schiit as well as other components either). The end result is usually a smoked LYR3, and in a very few instances (as far as I'm aware), it can take an HP driver(s) with it. Tube related failures strike me as a most likely cause, but I'm confident there are non-tube related failures as well. The reasons for these few issues may be diverse enough in nature to be unable to list, or maybe its an infant mortality issue with parts, or component incompatibility / stability issues in the chain or AC related bugaboos. But they have happened to a few users and that is also part of the equation of being a tube-o-phile.

The bottom line for me is that both units are exceptional sounding, I just prefer tubes in general. While for some it could be a $ stretch, owning both for a period of time would give one a leg up on understanding the plus and minus of tube versus SS and provide a good foundation to move forward with their personal "Quest"!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back