Lyr 2 vs Lyr 3 (or Mjolnir 2)
Jul 30, 2018 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ScareDe2

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I have a Lyr 2 with some good tubes. Although it is the element of my chain that I would not mind letting as it is, I am curious about upgrading. I have test so many headphones now I think it is time to try another amp.

Simple question: Does the Lyr 2 with holy grails is superior soundwise to the Lyr 3 with its cheaper tube solution? Or should I prefer upgrading to a Mjolnir 2?

Thanks for help.

Jul 31, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 4
I have a Lyr 2 with some good tubes. Although it is the element of my chain that I would not mind letting as it is, I am curious about upgrading. I have test so many headphones now I think it is time to try another amp.

Simple question: Does the Lyr 2 with holy grails is superior soundwise to the Lyr 3 with its cheaper tube solution? Or should I prefer upgrading to a Mjolnir 2?

You already have a good amp that won't have trouble delivering power in quantity nor how clean the power is (or even how it distorts when pushed, considering how realistically you're not really going to push these near their limit on any headphone with at least 90dB/1mW sensitivity and 150ohms or lower nominal impedance). I'd much rather put my feet up and listen to more music instead of worrying about the equipment.

Jul 31, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 4
Mjolnir 2 would be a noticeable upgrade, as would a Bottlehead S.E.X. which costs less even with the C4S upgrade. And a Dynalo from Mjolnir-Audio which also costs less than the Mjolnir 2.

Aug 1, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 4
when comparing the lyr2 and 3 imo the 3 wins pretty much hands down. the 2 was not my favorite amp but i really like the 3. now as said above the mjolnir is in another class. i do personally know a few people who still prefer the sound of the lyr 3 though to even the mjolnir. it comes down to personal preference really

Users who are viewing this thread

Back