LYR 2 or Asgard 2.
Apr 2, 2015 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

icebrain1

100+ Head-Fier
Greeting Head-FI'ers, I got have a decision to make about my next headphone AMP that will need to stay with me for a long while and last through a couple headphone upgrades.

My current setup is,
Source which is my on board motherboard DAC (Cirrus Logic® CS4398 DAC LINK- http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/cs4398.html) connected to my Schiit Vali AMP powering my DT-990 Pro's. All i can say about that setup is that it sounds great, but I'm looking for a new setup for my next headphone upgrade which is going to be the HiFiMan HE-400's.

I heard from some other sources that my DAC is "relatively" good and I should focus mainly on an AMP, I decided on a ton of different AMP's and kept changing my mind until I decided on either the Schiit Asgard 2 which is a very good price for what seems like a great AMP, but on the other hand the LYR 2 seems like seriously great and unique AMP at a reasonable price (still the max of my budget for quite a while, I saved for quite a while for this upgrade).

A bit about the music I like if that helps.
I honestly enjoy all types of music from Metal (especially symphonic and power metal) all the way to Classical.
The music I am currently listing to the most is Metal, Neo-Classical, and Classic rock.

SO my question is should I go with the LYR 2 or the Asgard, I heard of a couple other options such as project ember I tend to like the design and philosophy of Schiit Audio products ( and there build seem very solid, important as my young cousins will destroy anything that not built solid they pretty much destroyed my DT-990 Pro's and those were also very solid, I'm using a ghetto fix currently lol). Sorry back on track, which AMP would you guys suggest that will last and sound great with any headphones I want to use, even unto the LCD-2/3's (and HD-650's as a side-grade) if I ever manage to get them ($1000+ is quite a bit and I'm far of from that) but I would like an amp that I will be be able to trust, and know I'm getting the most out of my purchase. I have been unable to find many reviews of the LYR 2 or comparisons to the Asgard 2 the one I found scared me away from the LYR 2 a bit since comments of it stated that you need to change the stock tubes of the LYR 2 to get the most out of it but I will be unable to do that and test different ones if I'm spending that much on the amp (not to mention international shipping). Or do you think it would be better to save the cash ($200) and save it towards my next headphone upgrade and keep the Asgard 2 for the long run. Or would it be better to live with the stock LYR 2 untill the future an then upgrade the tubes with my next headphone purchase.

Simply put LYR 2 OR Asgard 2 for long term use?

Sorry I posted a similar question recently on the HE-400 thread, but after I decided I then rethought about my choice, and then decided to start a new thread instead of bringing it back on the other thread as it may come in handy for other people as well.

I put a poll at the bottom as it may help any one who has trouble with this decision in the future as well.

If any one has any question or opinions, everything is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton Head-FI'ers sorry for the bother.

On a side note,
does any one know where I can see a description of how the Lyr 2 works (couldn't find it on the manual on there website). Thanks.
EDIt- Also tubes have a life span of about 4000-5000 hours correct? how will i be able to tell if the tubes are failing and will the life span deminsh if the AMP is powered on but no sound is being played? thanks again. 

Apr 3, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #2 of 4
Most will have either Asgard or Lyr.
I had the GE tubes with the Lyr. After some burn in I thought it sounded great! But it can sound better as you've read. Rolling different tubes now. Not heard the Asgard. I have the HE 400's big brother the HE-560. It does well with the Lyr! I can't vote as I have no Asgard.
Yes- the tubes burn as long as it's on.

Apr 3, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #3 of 4
If money is not an option I would go with the Lyr2. You can get some quite detailed tubes that can match SS if you're into rolling and if thats the sound sig you prefer. Normally tubes will sound warmer. I personally haven't heard the Lyr2 so I can't vote but on paper the Lyr2 is the superior amp with quite a bit more juice.

Apr 3, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks guys for the great advice. I think I'll stick with the stock tubes for awhile if I go with the Lyr2 and upgrade them a bit later so I can get a different sound sig down the the road, thanks for the idea.

Had no idea tubes need burn in thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back