Lynyrd Skynyrd
Feb 27, 2009 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

dazzer1975

Headphoneus Supremus
Obviously I have heard sweet home alabama and obviously I thought it was a damn fine track, its a classic, its an anthem nuff said.

However, that was all I had ever heard of lynyrd skynyrd so decided to get a cd of theirs, the essential.

Put free bird on, instantly enjoyed it, knew I was listening to more than a one track wonder band, then BANG that guitar break, O.M.G.

Why have I not taken the time to get to listen to this band before.

I consider myself impoverished for the years preceeding this discovery.

If you haven't already, although I find it unlikely, then do your ears a favour and get some lynyrd skynyrd.

Feb 28, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 16
I know a little but you got that right... I'm a simple man and they call me the breeze...are some good LS songs too.
icon10.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 16
Get the album 'Second Helping' if you can, or maybe treat yourself and pick up the MFSL remaster.

There are some great tracks on it, Sweet Home Alabama, I Need You, The Ballad of Curtis Loew, and ending with 'Call me the Breeze, which should really be heard on main speakers up LOUD!

EDIT: I love Freebird!

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 16
Skynyrd is killer man. The Essential is a very good package. You like "Was I Right or Wrong" on disc 1?
Check out Hank Williams III the album "Straight to Hell"...you gotta hear one crazy foo....not quite as groovin as Skynyrd but the songs are wild! Notable songs "Pills I Took", "My Drinkin Problem" ...just for the sheer rebel factor you gotta hear it. LOL

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #5 of 16
I'm a fan - my brother affectionately refers to it as White Trash Rock & Roll.
smily_headphones1.gif

I really like Street Survivors (last album with Ronnie Van Zant) and Pronounced... (their first) too.

Funny story: There was a local band in Ann Arbor when I was an undergrad there who did a kick ass version of "You Got That Right" that actually led me to Lynyrd Skynyrd in the first place. Funny how that works.

Enjoy.

Feb 28, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #6 of 16
Watch out -- you're likely to discover Allman Bros, Outlaws, and a bunch of other Southern Rock now! Skynyrd will continued to be redisovered until music is banned.

Feb 28, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #7 of 16
simple man is a wicked track really like that. And this free bird guitar break, it really needs BANGING out on my speakers, but my kenwood hifi has an issue with the cd player int hat it wont play past track 8 on a cd for some reason, think it just needs cleaning?

I tend to find a band that I really gel with and think are amazing and end up buying everything they have done, started with the doors, last one was led zeppelin now its lynyrd skynyrd, they are truly fantasticaly awesome.

Feb 28, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #9 of 16
I simply love them. I even have a poster of Lynyrd Skynyrd in my room
smily_headphones1.gif

(The Last Rebel - Support Southern Rock)

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #10 of 16
I love 'em too. When I die, I'm going through the curtain to Free Bird. As an aside though, listening to Call Me The Breeze got me into J J Cale (who wrote it) as a wonderful laid back rock n roller. Definitely worth a listen.

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by andyalfa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love 'em too. When I die, I'm going through the curtain to Free Bird. As an aside though, listening to Call Me The Breeze got me into J J Cale (who wrote it) as a wonderful laid back rock n roller. Definitely worth a listen.

I love J J Cale!! Did you ever hear him and Clapton do 'Call Me The Breeze'? It was awesome, but then so's J J's live version of it. And 'Wish I Had Me A Dollar' live is great too.

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #15 of 16
IMO these guys individual musical talent equaled/equals any studio musician; every note played spot on while maintaining musicality....BTW "The Breeze" is some fine boogie woogie.

Last thing they heard a redneck say, " Hey yall watch this......"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back