Luxury & Precision (LP) W4, Successor to Their Popular W1/W2 USB Dongle is Here!
Nov 16, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #1,231 of 1,451
Have there been any more discoveries about Output Impedance of W4/W4ex? are single ended outputs close to zero?
3.1ohm for a portable device in 2023 is mind boggling TBH.
It's as if L&P did it on purpose so that people would say 'that this has a warm and natural sound signature'

Nov 16, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #1,232 of 1,451
Have there been any more discoveries about Output Impedance of W4/W4ex? are single ended outputs close to zero?
3.1ohm for a portable device in 2023 is mind boggling TBH.
It's as if L&P did it on purpose so that people would say 'that this has a warm and natural sound signature'

Posted them all the way back in May, W4 anyway.

Did a quick RMAA test, W4 performed quite well. No significant difference compared to W2 on most part, though my tools could be at their measurement limit to show any difference that small. Output impedance are 1.55 ohm for 3.5mm output and 3.14 ohm for 4.4mm output. Though not so high to be any real concern, it is higher than expected.

Nov 26, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #1,233 of 1,451
I was considering this product until I found out that my W2-131 no longer works with my new iPhone 15 Pro Max.
The solution? Send it to China and pay for return postage for L&P to "fix it" for me. No idea of the W4 works with the new crop of Apple phones either.
w4 work with ip15. confirmed.
I have w2 and it doesn't work with ip15 too, and this black friday I decided to upgrade to w4 and it fine now. I believe it all about power issue. w4 consume less power than w2.

Nov 26, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #1,234 of 1,451
w4 work with ip15. confirmed.
I have w2 and it doesn't work with ip15 too, and this black friday I decided to upgrade to w4 and it fine now. I believe it all about power issue. w4 consume less power than w2.
How is the W4 in comparison?

Nov 29, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #1,237 of 1,451
Question: what would be a better source to use for external amp, the W4 or the RU7?

I understand that RU7 has dedicated line out circuit but W4 does not. Is sound quality effected by the double amping with W4?

Thanks!

Nov 29, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #1,238 of 1,451
Question: what would be a better source to use for external amp, the W4 or the RU7?

I understand that RU7 has dedicated line out circuit but W4 does not. Is sound quality effected by the double amping with W4?

Thanks!
I use them both with excellent satisfaction with a Cayin iHA-6 and they respect their musical signatures without creating any artifice or disturbance deriving from double amplification using an adequate cable.

Nov 29, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #1,240 of 1,451
Jan 8, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #1,245 of 1,451
I'm still loving my W4. I actually sold my M15, RU7, and Dragonfly Cobalt. The W4 is all I'm using. I think all the quirks have been worked out with the software from my perspective, so it's smooth sailing! I did just recently post a comparison on the headphones.com forum about it and the RU7 for someone who was thinking of getting it, but I agree that when things are going smoothly there is less of a reason to post about it. It's quite a positive experience overall! I know others have mentioned this previously, but the only thing I would wish for improvement on at this point would be the ability to add different headphone profiles to the "SDF" menu - I recently picked up the LCD-X 2021, and it improves greatly with EQ. Roon ARC basically allows me to use a parametric EQ with it on my phone anyway, but it would be great to be able to drop a convolution filter or parametric EQ for them onto the W4 directly. Still, that's a tiny nitpick, it is an incredible device that defies all expectations and is actually worth the price IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back